Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Mostly Modified AUG's or sometimes HK 416's .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

ah right, just couldnt make it out from the pics...an ex-defences forces member told me that they have a choice of rifle in the ARW..true or BS?

ah right, just couldnt make it out from the pics...an ex-defences forces member told me that they have a choice of rifle in the ARW..true or BS?

I would take it with a big pinch of salt. You have to remember the ARW are not like other SF around the world. They get very little publicity, so not much is known. Heck, most people in Ireland don't even know we have a SF unit.

I do know they are lot less strict. IE. beards and such ;). So it could be true that they choose their equipmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

In the pics of the lads in Chad, they've got A3's and Minimi's.

It's BS, as a Unit with a completely different tasking to the rest of the DF they of course trial and use a greater range of weapons within the different Teams but it's not like one of the lads can approach the CQ and say "Here Q, sort us out with a SCAR-H and an Eotech will ya?"

thanks for that, was just curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Yeah Daz ive heard that as well. I believe I read it on wikipedia but well...you know what they say about that :o

I just always took it that the had a wider range of choice like Poccington mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

On Whydave's photo is that an Iron Cross on the APC thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Flecktarn wrote: »
    On Whydave's photo is that an Iron Cross on the APC thing?

many would argue that the iron cross by the nazus, but what ever the case is has an unhealthy link to the past, although modern Germany has done a lot to separate the iron cross from its sorded past as it does have a long military history in Germany, the swastika with the iron cross was banned and the iron cross has been rightly reclaimed as its own by the German military

today it is just a symbol to identify the bundeswehr ( Federal Defence Force e.g german military )

It would be the equilivant of not using the Harp, just because it was used as a symbol in the 1916 Rising.

Germany uses the Iron cross on the tail of their jets and most vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Thanks lads!

• Advertisement

Do you have any of those pic's in hi res, Puding? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

''Very interesting seeing a G36K being used in the sniper spotter/DMR role. Didn't think it had the accuracy for that kind of work according to complaints from other EU users and Capital Hill SWAT user reports, claiming the sights fall out of zero too often on the polymer carry rail''

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

that brunette aussie bird closest the camera is gonna have a nice shiner when she fires that weapon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

That tan painted g36 looks interesting, not so sure about the box of cornflakes being used as a cheek rest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I was laughing at a pic that WHyDave posted...that girl looks REAL happy with her F2000. I've not seen anyone that happy with their chosen gun:D

Think I like it !
    new G36 version(they still don't have an official designation)
    imagepopup5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Could someone please tell me about just what the heck is
    the deal with shooting with the butt of a firearm like pictured below. I see it all of the time in the movies and TV series.
    it makes no sense to me at all and I dont understand what
    the advantage in doing this is.

With shot gun you tuck the butt of the shot gun into your shoulder, with your elbow nice and high and you NEVER would let the butt of the gun be raised up like that above the pocket of your shoulder.

When shooting prone with a rifle, you would always tuck the butt of the rifle into your shoulder pocket when shooting.

I understand the whole not canting/tilting your head end of things but just dont understand what the advantage
    is with mounting the gun without placing the butt stock firmly in the shoulder pocket and with the elbow down
    as the pic below:

800px-NorwegiansolderHK416.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

@Bullets: I don't know from a shooting background, but from a physiological background, positioning the gun as pictured recruits larger muscle groups, which makes it easier to maintain over a prolonged period of time. It also removes some of the more awkward isometric positions, which, when held for a long period, can reduce accuracy due to shaking muscles.

It should increase shot consistency, and reduce muscular fatigue

trying to use optics and a helmet + all the other fighting gear ( preliminarily vest with soft armor and hard plates ) ?

anyone who has even used a replica with an optics like an acog and helmet can start to tell you even then there are issues, these guy are not untrained and the style can be seen even in training pictures just seems a mixture of practicality's, sometimes its just not possible to bring your head down to the optics

you can see it in a lot of pictures but highlights the importance of training and range practice in full gear rather than sterile range environment

a038ef4d.jpg
    7022046c.jpg
    50497282892ff367b1ceb.jpg
    6391c7fb.jpg

not really based on much experience just observation and commons sense approach

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Liking the look of the new G36 and G36 optics which hopefully the work propererly unlike the first and 2md gen G36s,

The guy in the all black KSK looks more like a GSG9 officer

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Liking the look of the new G36 and G36 optics which hopefully the work propererly unlike the first and 2md gen G36s,

ksk as far as i could recall from what i read

german_ksk_34.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Gatling wrote: »

They seem to be still using the red dot from the G36A2 with this new variant.

In the first pic, there was the dual optic system of the A2 without the carry handle mounted on a flat top rail. The second had the complete new dual optics, which was interesting to see.

The flat top rail with optional optics seems to be the way to go but with that a cheek riser is need hence the new stock.

Most foreign users mount aimpoints or in the case of the Spanish they have an aimpoint on the carry handle rail, so much for a cheek rest there.

I don't see why they just go with a Specter DR type sight and get rid of the dual optic ladder system.

There's that many G36 variants now it's hard to keep track of with all the barrel, stock, sights, trigger group and rail options.

Don't know why HK bring in the MP5 type number letter variant system back in.

I don't see why they just go with a Specter DR type sight and get rid of the dual optic ladder system.

for a lot of users the expensive i wold imagine does not out way the benefits, also you have to look back the original g36 and its optics package we;re designed for a different conflict for that job it was fine, the demands of the last decade have thrown a lot of thinking on its head though

but to late on the elcans

31816124.jpg
    There's that many G36 variants now it's hard to keep track of with all the barrel, stock, sights, trigger group and rail options.

domestically still kinda easy to keep track of but export is a different beast, then again its not much different to any of major firearm export being tailored to is destination

edit: can anyone tell im rather board with nothing to do this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

the G36 and the elcan just seem to be made for each other ,though not sure what to make of the blue handle training pistols ,somebody asked me about that at HRTA on sunday wanted to know if there real soldiers or airsofters just because of the pistols alone

''Lt.Michael Murphy posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, broke cover and walked into heavy enemy fire to make an emergency call twice on his cell phone after suffering comms failures .''
    A sure sign of the times (think it's O2 ?)
    Legend !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bullets wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me about just what the heck is the deal with shooting with the butt of a firearm like pictured below. I see it all of the time in the movies and TV series.

In a nutshell, bring the rifle to your head, not your head to the rifle. More natural, allows quicker changes in point of aim, greater peripheral vision, doesn't affect your balance, and the 5.56mm round is so small that you don't need to have too much contact area in order to properly absorb the recoil.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭flashinbluelite

i want a really high res version of that blackhawk or whatever it was collecting troups on that mountain.... coolest pic ever........ anyone any idea where i would get my mitts on it, i have the printer if you have the pic :D

seriously, if you want pics printed . i personally can print as big as super b3 size and a mate of mine works in HP, he prints as big as you want....

I want one of these !! It's like the love child of a G36k and an M-249 !!
    800px-MG4.jpg

folding butt stock as well???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭flashinbluelite

whydave wrote: »
    I want one of these !! It's like the love child of a G36k and an M-249 !!
    800px-MG4.jpg

the second this is availible in airsoft , I want one..... no no i NEED one.... its stunning :o

Advertisement