Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News / media articles

• 19-03-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

See the journal.ie today for supposed leak on HSE DFB plan for removal of ambos.....

Anyone know when an upcoming primetime programme on HSE Ambulance service is scheduled for? or is it a myth...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Just on that subject, I heard in the news earlier of an ambulance in Dublin that had a sick child within and the vehicle broke down with all the doors locked on it. So a paramedic with the child was locked into the back of it until they were released by the fire service.

I wonder how in this and age this can happen? Surely locks in ambulances should be fail safe instead of fail secure.

Was it a DFB or NAS ambulance?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

kub wrote: »
    Just on that subject, I heard in the news earlier of an ambulance in Dublin that had a sick child within and the vehicle broke down with all the doors locked on it. So a paramedic with the child was locked into the back of it until they were released by the fire service.

I wonder how in this and age this can happen? Surely locks in ambulances should be fail safe instead of fail secure.

Was it a DFB or NAS ambulance?
    most news sties say dfb, rte said dfb but used a hse vehicle as the picture for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Just seen it advertised last night 'The truth about the ambulance service' ?prime time next Tuesday night....

Sorry .... 'The Ambulance service uncovered.'

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Just seen it advertised last night 'The truth about the ambulance service' ?prime time next Tuesday night....

Sorry .... 'The Ambulance service uncovered.'

Promo for prime time

Related articles
    25/03/2014 Breaking news article Writer: Unknown
    25/03/2014 RTE article Writer: Unknown
    25/03/2014 Independent article Writer: Alan O'Keefe

Seems to be a witch hunt on lately, funny that the Irish Mirror is not leading the march.
    25/03/2014 Appology for ambulance wait after RTA - Irish Times Writer: Kitty Holland
    24/03/2014 Wheels off ambulance - The Examiner Writer: Elaine Keogh
    24/03/2014 Wheels off ambulance - The Hearld Writer: Elaine Keogh
    23/03/2014 Wheels off ambulance - The Independent Writer: Elaine Keogh
    23/03/2014 Ambulance services needs co-ordination - The Independent Writer: Emer O'Kelly
    21/03/2014 Ambulance breakdown - The Journal Writer: Ronan Duffy
    21/03/2014 Ambulance breakdown - The Hearld Writer: Elaine Keogh
    21/03/2014 Ambulance breakdown - The Examiner Writer: Elaine Keogh
    21/03/2014 Ambulance breakdown - The Irish Mirror Writer: Elaine Keogh
    19/03/2014 Child locked in ambulance - The Journal Writer: Paul Hosford
    15/03/2014 Ambulance cover - The Journal Writer: Aoife Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

POGAN wrote: »
    Been move to Wednesday night instead of tonight

Whhhat Awww

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

9:35 tomorrow night instead to discuss the Gards tonight - Raging!

Funny isn't it both the guards and the ambulance service in trouble..... & both on the coalface of the public service 365 days a year.....what's wrong ?,whats letting us down so bad.....its beyond the control and cause of the 5/8 uniformed lads that I meet & work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks Pogan, I for one am glad because i forgot about it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Will be watching Prime Time tonight, I expect NAS officers' cars to be put to good use afterwards... ;D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭millb

donvito99 wrote: »
    Will be watching Prime Time tonight, I expect NAS officers' cars to be put to good use afterwards... ;D

I loved the last bit.. boss says we have the best vehicles, equipment, uniforms, training, servicing ... seems like the gap is the management, accountability, selfishness NAS officers? ... cute hoor.. activity with the abuse of those cars .. shame on the organisation and its leaders

A lot of food for thought there for the levels above, shamefull statistics.

Way to many hangers on in the service that believe emergencies only happen 9-5 Monday to Friday....that like driving around in 4x4's, and strive to avoid at the earliest chance in their careers the work that they are trained and paid to do...... i.e patient contact.

In balance there are some good grounded officers who aren't afraid to put on a pair of gloves..

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

forgot about prime time but caught the last few minutes and to tell the truth I was gobsmacked.the cheek to say they have the est service in Europe what a joke.that poor man near gory that had to watch his brother bleed to death,the people of enniscorthy waiting an hour and a half for an ambulance because there was no crew for the one in the town.a bloody shamble.
    just over a year ago my son who was 6 1/2 at the time had breathing trouble(luckily nt too serious) so my wife called southdoc who in turn called for an ambulance.
    the rapid response arrived quite quick as did the doctor but we must have waited at least 45mins for the ambulance as it had to go to cork first then come to us and because they weren't from the area they got lost too.the best service in Europe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

donvito99 wrote: »
    The car thing was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

Having watched the programme, some thoughts come to mind.

If you know nothing about NAS, all seems completely believeable. If you do, different story.......

The majority of the programme was built around a collection of newspaper articles where family members were subsequently sought out and interviewed. Whilst these stories are truly traumatic for the families involved, these calls represent less that 0.1% of all 999 calls. They did not reference all of the calls that go right (99.9%), but yet we have a crisis.

and

3 x "whistle blowers" interviewed and identified (two former NAS) are well known in NAS circles as being seriously "disgruntled" with at least two of them being NASRA mouthpieces.

These points alone draw into question the entirety of the piece. Remember, journalistic principles are based on balanced, not one sided reporting.

The shift dropping piece focused on exaggerating numbers where rosters have actually changed and rostered overtime removed. Agreed rostered are not dropped shifts. Just another example here of grievances about loosing rostered overtime under the PSA being aired in public. The programme touched on the high level of absenteeism but did not prob it.

The use of stats was pointed. They did not examine any statistic trends from published data that shows modest improvements. They did not explain any of the indicators or clarify that they did not apply to all 999 calls. They did not adequately explain from the public viewing perspective what categories of calls they commented on or whether or not they were encompassed by the Response KPIs. What they did do, I suspect without knowing it, was demonstrate that dynamic deployment and call prioritisation were actively being used.

The quoting of the numbers of ambulances in Ireland did not clarify that these vehicles were not on the road but actually additional spare capacity that had been reduced because of changes to manufacturers preventative schedules and/or improved centralisation of fleet management and rotation. Again, the public viewer was left with a warped perception that there were X number of ambulances less on the road. They not not quote the total man hours available year on year (easily available through FOI) or quote the fact that staff numbers have gone from 1398 in 2010 to 1650 today.

The single most disturbing fact for me when listening to the well known disgruntled former Wexford Controller talking about the "county" was that they did not pick up on the problems that multiple Control Centres cause. In that particular piece, they mentioned a couple of calls in Gorey, but, failed to pick up on the fact that the next nearest Station was Arklow, not Wexford or Enniscorthy. Demonstrates the tunnel vision of the whistle blower and the journo looking for a story. More importantly from a patient's perspective, it did not expose the weaknesses of having multiple Control Centres. Really worrying when people in Control Centres don't understand they are supposed to call a neighbouring Control Centre to check if their ambulance (if closer) is available

The piece about ORVs originated in the former NE. If you look at PQs on www.kildarestreet.com you will see the same Sinn Fein TDs from the same area have raised the issue consistently. There have been some exceptions to the rule where local NASRA do what they do well, tell a half arsed story to the local media and tar everyone in NAS with the one brush. TDs only raise issues when people contact them. The NE was a big loser of overtime. The piece failed to acknowledge that some Officers, e.g. ECAOs, regularly respond to emergency calls. It also failed to acknowledge that those Officers whom are on call receive no payment whatsover and are on call for a lot more than responding to calls. They also did not probe what procedures are in place: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/educationcompetencyassurance/rptspoliciesandprocedures/businesssupport.html

The piece about 3 new Stations in the West was poorly researched. The plan was always to introduce the Intermediate Care Service in those areas (this has happened), free up emergency ambulances from transfers (e.g. Castlebar Hospital is a big user for transfers) and redistribute the available ambulances to provide better coverage using the same resources to the same number of calls. Not remotely explained or explored.

The piece did not explore the legal morass that NAS has had to deal with from years of being sued by private operators trying inhibit the development of the Intermediate Care Service to slice of the non emergency workload what what that has cost the country.

The piece did not explore the role of Unions or HSE Corporate in supporting or inhibiting change.

The inputs from the Director, NAS was probably heavily edited but nevertheless very disappointing and probably reflective of the current quality of leadership as distinct from management (two different but complementary concepts). What is laughable tonite, is that some of the Officers within NAS are commenting on Facebook as I write about how accurate the programme was, etc. etc. What they seem not to realise is that they are the "Managers" being referred to and it is their failure to provide leadership during difficult times that is an the core of many issues within NAS. A good kick up the arse for some of them about these cars has been along time coming.

The internal credibility of the PHECC contributor was also disappointing. This was a piece for someone with a strong clinical background. Also disappointing that they did not interview the NAS Medical Director or anyone from HIQA.

Overall, the piece was poor, narrow and an obvious airing of a small minority of staff's grievances, facilitated by an eager and lazy media outlet. It was completely one sided and without balance, something you would expect from our national broadcaster.

The most important message was probably lost because of the way the story was told. Ireland was never, from the get go, ever in a position to deliver on the HIQA standards. You cannot introduce UK style performance indicators without UK levels of resourcing. It was always the case that NAS had to deal with it's inefficiencies and work practices before it could justify any new investment. It has done that, hence all the reform, organisational change, parochial responses, loss of overtime, etc. However, now is the time for politicians to step up to the plate, make hard decisions, take money from non essential public services and invest heavily in NAS. The alternative is more of the same.

This is Ireland, and I am a realist and I suspect, we will get a run on the media, lots of PQs, targeted slants on the Minister by the Opposition and expert "assessment" and "analysis" from the usual bag of "experts" rolled out on Newstalk, Pat Kenny, Morning Ireland, Twitter, etc. but nothing will change and people will still fearful and we continue to undermine the professionalism and morale of the people whom serve us in our time of most need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Some very good points about the program above. Its Management who came across badly in this.

If Dunne thinks we have one of the best Ambulance Services in the World; How does he compare our service with that of the UK?

Should it be compulsory that new entrants to the Ambulance Service be trained to work alone in Response Cars? e.g. Two person crew rostered. One rings in sick so other goes in car.........

Are Trade Unions been over protective?

It was mentioned in the program. Is absenteeism a problem?

*** I am not working for any Ambulance Service but in all fairness it paints a bd picture and I think the staff should stand up for themselves. Maybe a bit of Whistle Blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

There is no escaping that we are under resourced. Some parts of the country are worse resourced than others.

Controllers are under pressure everyday to get ambulance to calls even though the ambulances are stretched passed coping.
    The regional control centres always look to neighbouring areas for help getting ambulances in life threatening calls. (The poster above mentioned Gorry, but the nearest other eastern region base is Arklow, which is another ambulance station under pressure with resources, I imagine the Arklow ambulance was out)
    The development of the national control will help, but that still won't make ambulances appear out of thin air.

The program showed a snapshot of an under resourcing problem spanning the country. From rural Ireland And including the problems the Dublin fire brigade and dublin based national ambulance service ambulances have getting to calls.

I don't think labelling the "whistleblowers" as disgruntled or any thing else makes a difference. I work in the service and ALL my colleagues feel that the only issue with the program was that it did not highlight the full extent of the problems. I think the staff members were very brave to go on tv and tell the story to the people. Everyone should know that the ambulance service is not safely resourced, and that some of the scant resources are being misused by management.

Also yes staff levels have increased, but most of those positions are for the patient transport service (intermediate care) and we do not have any more paramedics in our area. There may be a small increase of paramedics in some areas of the country. But it certainly doesn't go far enough to maintain the service.
    Maybe the increase in staff levels would explain the numbers of officers/managers in the country.

In a nut shell: the program had an agenda and that was to highlight the resourcing problems, it did that. They weren't exaggerating any part. In fact I feel that management got of lightly compared to the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The issue is definitely that the service is under resourced.

People talk about the fire based Ambulance model.

But if that means Cork Co Co running the Ambulance service - errrm - thanks but no thanks.

Anyway - the big issue is level of resources rather then what model we have.

The service needs to be funded PROPERLY and resourced properly in terms of staffing.

Like if you take the Wexford examples - if you had extra ambulances FULLY STAFFED available in the area to deal with calls - your going to have to have better response times - and better availability of Ambulances.

Still scratching my head wondering about the figure of 100 k - as the cost of a Rapid response car though.

Looking at the programme last night - I saw in terms of RRVs - Mondeos, Focuses, Subaru Foresters, Hyundai Santa Fes - those are not 100 k motors.

A Mondeo - in 2.0 diesel form - would - imo - have been around the 32 to 36 k type mark.

Bit of a gap there I would say - surely it doesn't cost that much to rig out an RRV????

CPR band could cost 15k?
    Top of range defib 20k?
    It's not cheap to kit out a car I'd say...

I think somethings have to happen here like for instance driving their own car to work like everyone else in the country..... If they need a car or van when they get there that's a different story have one or two that can be shared....kitted or non kitted?

Do they get on call allowance,
    - If yes then take the car home but be available as a resource with no gripes & log calls to prove need/efficency in area...
    - If no the they have no business answering calls or having a car...
    end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Old diesel wrote: »
    The issue is definitely that the service is under resourced.

People talk about the fire based Ambulance model.

But if that means Cork Co Co running the Ambulance service - errrm - thanks but no thanks.

Anyway - the big issue is level of resources rather then what model we have.

The service needs to be funded PROPERLY and resourced properly in terms of staffing.

Like if you take the Wexford examples - if you had extra ambulances FULLY STAFFED available in the area to deal with calls - your going to have to have better response times - and better availability of Ambulances.

Still scratching my head wondering about the figure of 100 k - as the cost of a Rapid response car though.

Looking at the programme last night - I saw in terms of RRVs - Mondeos, Focuses, Subaru Foresters, Hyundai Santa Fes - those are not 100 k motors.

A Mondeo - in 2.0 diesel form - would - imo - have been around the 32 to 36 k type mark.

Bit of a gap there I would say - surely it doesn't cost that much to rig out an RRV????

I presume its the equipment that costs a lot of money. But even at that I dont see why it would costs 100k.
    Yeah sure the defibs are like 10,000 euro from what i googled, and outfitting of lights and decals is prob a fair amount.

But 100k seems a bit far fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

CPR band could cost 15k?
    Top of range defib 20k?
    It's not cheap to kit out a car I'd say...

I think somethings have to happen here like for instance driving their own car to work like everyone else in the country..... If they need a car or van when they get there that's a different story have one or two that can be shared....kitted or non kitted?

Do they get on call allowance,
    - If yes then take the car home but be available as a resource with no gripes & log calls to prove need/efficency in area...
    - If no the they have no business answering calls or having a car...
    end of.

Your right - kitting out the RRV so that everything an Advanced Paramedic would need to do his/her job is on board - woul not be cheap at all.

Thing im wondering though - is if the manager goes on call - could there not be an RRV there for that purpose - and it would only be for responding to calls.

So if you go on call on a Wednesday evening - you can bring the RRV with you - so its there for any calls.

But if your not going on call on Thursday - you don't get the RRV - and its there for anyone else to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

Non-believer makes some very interesting remarks - thank you.

What are peoples thoughts on the reported absenteeism rates? I read on daily mirror (I know!) that rates in the North-East are 10.7% (I couldn't find any other data on these rates). This is an amazing number. The programme seems to blame the NAS for not replacing staff on sick leave and causing dropped shifts rather than trying to determine the factors for such high absenteeism rates. Is that not a skewed way to look at it? Surely, the NAS should be aiming to come in under the 3.5% target of the rest of the HSE? What is the other paramedic doing while his partner is on sick leave? Can s/he be redeployed to another local area with a similarly 'dropped shift' colleague. Throwing resources at a problem without identifying the problems at all aspects of the process from initial call to 999 and the ambulance leaving the hospital after having their patient admitted doesn't make sense to me.

karlitob wrote: »
    Non-believer makes some very interesting remarks - thank you.

What are peoples thoughts on the reported absenteeism rates? I read on daily mirror (I know!) that rates in the North-East are 10.7% (I couldn't find any other data on these rates). This is an amazing number. The programme seems to blame the NAS for not replacing staff on sick leave and causing dropped shifts rather than trying to determine the factors for such high absenteeism rates. Is that not a skewed way to look at it? Surely, the NAS should be aiming to come in under the 3.5% target of the rest of the HSE? What is the other paramedic doing while his partner is on sick leave? Can s/he be redeployed to another local area with a similarly 'dropped shift' colleague. Throwing resources at a problem without identifying the problems at all aspects of the process from initial call to 999 and the ambulance leaving the hospital after having their patient admitted doesn't make sense to me.

Good Question..
    & im not going to attempt to answer it because obviously it is a massive figure and could not be 'fixed or solved' here without considering full facts figures and individual cases, what I can do is provide some possible reasons that could be wrong , rejected or right. I don't work in HR or mgt.

Long term sick....... as in out for months , maternity, back injuries cancer ect as in any other job.

The environment (health)...... We are exposed to sick people and are going to be the first catch anything going.

Method of recording sick leave....... out sick tonight & off shift for 3 nights and then back in is recorded as 4 nights sick....!? madness.

Individual cases......... I believe in one region 3 people were responsible for something like 50% of the sick leave for whatever reason.

Stress ...... take for instance the workload attributed to the six people or three crews over the few nights reorded in Co Wexford... or limerick or Roscommon, limerick ect ......you can keep that up for a while but eventually something has to give. Nothing extra is ever provided not even on busy bank holiday Weekends.

Burnout ......same thing but with the trauma of RTC,s, cardiac arrests ,nuciance calls, rapes , assaults , thrown in on top of time measurement , delays ect, ect.. somethings going to give....& may contribute to sick leave....

and btw you are then expected to do this for the NAS into your late 60's.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Your right - kitting out the RRV so that everything an Advanced Paramedic would need to do his/her job is on board - woul not be cheap at all.
    Just Googling, I came up with this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056360629

Press Release 10th April 2011

"The HSE National Ambulance Service has taken delivery of a new fleet of 16 state of the art Rapid Response Vehicles representing an investment of approx €0.6 million in fleet replacement. The new fleet consists of 10 Ford Mondeo Estate cars, 3 Subaru Forester all wheel drive estate cars and 3 Harley Davidson Special Motorcycles. <...>
    I take it the Mondeos, 4WDs and Harleys won't cost the same. But if its €600,000 for about 16 vehicles (including the bikes), presumably the cost of an RRV is around €40,000 to €50,000.

That's still a lot of money to gift someone just to have a vehicle to commute to work in, using company petrol. It's unfortunate when journos go for the inflated figure, as it makes the real figures seem low by comparision.

I wonder do any of these dudes pay tax on the apparent benefit-in-kind ?

Unfortunately, it seems there is little understanding within NAS for the purpose of ORVs. Obviously, there is less in the public domain when you put the Prime Time spin version out there. The attached might help answer questions: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/educationcompetencyassurance/rptspoliciesandprocedures/businesssupport.html

My understanding (open to correction) is that procedure was an effort to manage the disparity between various Officers being available for service needs. There is a difference between being available and being calls out. You can be available all night but not be called out because there is no actual service need. The "available" element is about risk mitigation, i.e. having access to someone in the event of, etc. Those Officers whom make themselves available for business hours only (cannot take cars home), partial hours (minimum requirement) which recognises some Officers may have to travel early for work purposes or full availability. Full availability is often used when the Officer lives in an area where First Response is a significant benefit to the service. An example would be Wicklow. It is important to stress that none of these Officers are paid a retainer, or on call money, or mileage, or receive payments for callouts. It is a good will system because unlike other emergency services, NAS does not have enough Officers to provide 24/7 cover.

For the most part, i would agree with CrackCrack30 on the sick leave but would add a couple:

Significant female workforce whom are more prone to musculoskeletal injury

Pregnancy related sick leave (3 months) and increased maternity leave together with unpaid maternity leave generally means gone for 12 months

Culture - from the time you arrive, you are told by some union heads to make sure and use ALL your sick days

Overtime scams - back in the day when short notice sick leave shifts were covered, it was not unusual for a couple of "mates" to create overtime opportunities for each other. Source of a lot of today's noise......

Force majeure leave

Increase parental leave

Carers leave

For 11 years (1997-2008), the unions blocked the introduction of a relief factor, i.e. a cohort of workers to cover all forms of leave (FOI the correspondence) so that inflated overtime earnings and lifestyles could be maintained. It has all backfired now, despite eventually agreeing to it in 2008. The Welsh Ambulance Service uses a 35% relief factor, many others use 40%. Ireland got agreement on 30% which is not enough when you consider all of the reasons (thank you EU legislation) for not coming to work

Annual leave - When someone can't get leave, a minority just ring in sick

And then there is the matter of how it is counted.........for the average worker, a sick day is a calendar day. However in NAS, if you were due to work a 12 hour shift and rang in sick, it is still a calendar day even though it costs the service 1.5 days to cover. Before OT rates were cut, that was 1.5 x doubletime overtime (if no relief available), or 3 days pay to cover 1 days sick leave. Does take a rocket scientist to figure out why there is so much angst about sick leave.

Unfortunately, it seems there is little understanding within NAS for the purpose of ORVs. Obviously, there is less in the public domain when you put the Prime Time spin version out there. The attached might help answer questions: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/educationcompetencyassurance/rptspoliciesandprocedures/businesssupport.html

My understanding (open to correction) is that procedure was an effort to manage the disparity between various Officers being available for service needs. There is a difference between being available and being calls out. You can be available all night but not be called out because there is no actual service need. The "available" element is about risk mitigation, i.e. having access to someone in the event of, etc. Those Officers whom make themselves available for business hours only (cannot take cars home), partial hours (minimum requirement) which recognises some Officers may have to travel early for work purposes or full availability. Full availability is often used when the Officer lives in an area where First Response is a significant benefit to the service. An example would be Wicklow. It is important to stress that none of these Officers are paid a retainer, or on call money, or mileage, or receive payments for callouts. It is a good will system because unlike other emergency services, NAS does not have enough Officers to provide 24/7 cover.

For the most part, i would agree with CrackCrack30 on the sick leave but would add a couple:

Significant female workforce whom are more prone to musculoskeletal injury

Pregnancy related sick leave (3 months) and increased maternity leave together with unpaid maternity leave generally means gone for 12 months

Culture - from the time you arrive, you are told by some union heads to make sure and use ALL your sick days

Overtime scams - back in the day when short notice sick leave shifts were covered, it was not unusual for a couple of "mates" to create overtime opportunities for each other. Source of a lot of today's noise......

Force majeure leave

Increase parental leave

Carers leave

For 11 years (1997-2008), the unions blocked the introduction of a relief factor, i.e. a cohort of workers to cover all forms of leave (FOI the correspondence) so that inflated overtime earnings and lifestyles could be maintained. It has all backfired now, despite eventually agreeing to it in 2008. The Welsh Ambulance Service uses a 35% relief factor, many others use 40%. Ireland got agreement on 30% which is not enough when you consider all of the reasons (thank you EU legislation) for not coming to work

Annual leave - When someone can't get leave, a minority just ring in sick

And then there is the matter of how it is counted.........for the average worker, a sick day is a calendar day. However in NAS, if you were due to work a 12 hour shift and rang in sick, it is still a calendar day even though it costs the service 1.5 days to cover. Before OT rates were cut, that was 1.5 x doubletime overtime (if no relief available), or 3 days pay to cover 1 days sick leave. Does take a rocket scientist to figure out why there is so much angst about sick leave.

Are you saying that Forced majeure, parental leave & carers leave are used to for and in an account for an over all sick rate as quoted for in the North east of 10.7% ??? that cant be right .......and if it is it has to be skewering the figures.

As for your final point on how it is counted ....are you saying that an actual sick day is counted as a sick day or as 3 sick days due to overtime pay??....... if you are that is incredible an is a multiple of 3 and there for the 10.7% should be 3.5% which would be in line with industry and a low for the HSE.

What has to be decided here & I would prefer it to be done a by third independent party ... (as currently the the decisions are being taken by those that are significantly benefiting by the cars at a cost to the HSE & tax payer).... is if there is value in having 60-70 people using 5 million euros worth of equipment + running costs answering or being available to answer such a low volume of calls?

Would the money be better spent elsewhere taking into consideration that the whole of the DFB ambulance service costs roughly 10 million.

Would you agree NonBeliever ?

CrackCrack30 Force Majeure, Parental, Carers and many other forms of leave are not counted as "sick leave". However, they do in many cases exacerbate the issue of shift dropping as Force Majeure is as short notice as sick leave and an increasing number of people want to take parental leave in single days.

Sick leave is counted in hours but taken as Calendar days. In other words, the employee get the benefit of taking one and a half days off sick but it is only counted as one day (because of 12 hour shift). However, up until overtime rates were changed, NAS had to spend the equivalent of 3 days pay (1.5 x 2 T overtime) to cover it if on overtime. In relation to the 10.7%, the 12 hours sick as 1 calendar day obviously pushes it up rather than a normal 5 day worker whose calendar day would be 7.8 hours (39 hours / 5 days).

I don't agree with your second point on ORVs. The business and operational case as well as road traffic and H&S considerations arising from Officers using their own cars to respond has demonstrated that it is cheaper to do it this way than pay Officers travelling expenses (like the rest of the public sector) to use their own cars. The HSE does not pay road tax as State vehicles are exempt, purchase prices are cheaper (they obviously don't pay showroom prices when buying in bulk) and pay less for fuel. They also dont have to pay car insurance as they are covered by the State Claims Agency in the event of a claim. There is then the intangible service benefit of having access to Officers whom are not paid to be available. You might call it a quid pro quo arrangement. My understanding is the the Revenue Commissioners were asked to review the BIK rules and are all kosher as well. Have a read of the link above or do an FOI.

Regarding the Prime Time programme, they forgot to leave out that the poor individual driving from Donegal to Dublin to work was assigned to that role and did not receive any extra money or expenses. He travels at least 7 hours round trip as well as a days work and contactable en route and at night for NO extra pay. I can see a big queue for that "junket"

In relation to 5m, not sure how you come up with that figure as many ORVs are second line vehicles, ranging from about 2002-2007 for the most part. More modern vehicles are in the minority. Some of the fleet is well worn and probably worth about 3,000. Others could be worth up to 15000 on a resale. Even if you sold them all and raised, say 1m (unlikely), it is a once off figure. You still end up spending more on travelling expenses (these guys travel a lot around their large geographical areas to do their jobs). So you save nothing, in fact you spend more and loose the operational capacity of Officers out of hours. Officers for the most part earn less than the people they manage (again do an FOI)

Once of savings if any from selling cars would be a once of saving. You need 10m EVERY year, to pay wages.

CrackCrack30 Force Majeure, Parental, Carers and many other forms of leave are not counted as "sick leave". However, they do in many cases exacerbate the issue of shift dropping as Force Majeure is as short notice as sick leave and an increasing number of people want to take parental leave in single days.

Sick leave is counted in hours but taken as Calendar days. In other words, the employee get the benefit of taking one and a half days off sick but it is only counted as one day (because of 12 hour shift). However, up until overtime rates were changed, NAS had to spend the equivalent of 3 days pay (1.5 x 2 T overtime) to cover it if on overtime. In relation to the 10.7%, the 12 hours sick as 1 calendar day obviously pushes it up rather than a normal 5 day worker whose calendar day would be 7.8 hours (39 hours / 5 days).

I don't agree with your second point on ORVs. The business and operational case as well as road traffic and H&S considerations arising from Officers using their own cars to respond has demonstrated that it is cheaper to do it this way than pay Officers travelling expenses (like the rest of the public sector) to use their own cars. The HSE does not pay road tax as State vehicles are exempt, purchase prices are cheaper (they obviously don't pay showroom prices when buying in bulk) and pay less for fuel. They also dont have to pay car insurance as they are covered by the State Claims Agency in the event of a claim. There is then the intangible service benefit of having access to Officers whom are not paid to be available. You might call it a quid pro quo arrangement. My understanding is the the Revenue Commissioners were asked to review the BIK rules and are all kosher as well. Have a read of the link above or do an FOI.

Regarding the Prime Time programme, they forgot to leave out that the poor individual driving from Donegal to Dublin to work was assigned to that role and did not receive any extra money or expenses. He travels at least 7 hours round trip as well as a days work and contactable en route and at night for NO extra pay. I can see a big queue for that "junket"

In relation to 5m, not sure how you come up with that figure as many ORVs are second line vehicles, ranging from about 2002-2007 for the most part. More modern vehicles are in the minority. Some of the fleet is well worn and probably worth about 3,000. Others could be worth up to 15000 on a resale. Even if you sold them all and raised, say 1m (unlikely), it is a once off figure. You still end up spending more on travelling expenses (these guys travel a lot around their large geographical areas to do their jobs). So you save nothing, in fact you spend more and loose the operational capacity of Officers out of hours. Officers for the most part earn less than the people they manage (again do an FOI)

Once of savings if any from selling cars would be a once of saving. You need 10m EVERY year, to pay wages.

The employees are usually rostered to work 12 hours, therefore you could hardly expect them to come in at 4pm on a sick day that would be nonsence and find it hard to believe it could be regarded as a benefit... especially if it is being used to skew the figures....

On that point the sick benefits for officers are twice that of normal employees that work shift on the road...

On my second point ...
    You don't agree that the car issue (which I believe is a distant second concern to points raised in the programme) should be looked or audited t from an independent view and on individual basis even just to see if they are needed , used , cost effective or an expence that could be better used elsewhere for the greater good of the public......very interesting.

My basis for the 5 million figure is my own (fag box) calculation of 60 (or 70) cars x 50,000euro giving a life span of 5 years or 200,000klm = 3million
    At A replacement factor one car per five every year that comes to 600,000euro per year just to stand still.

Equipment (60 x lets say 10,000euro per defib is 600,000euro) , running costs, fuel tyres and servicing & repairs

On call allowance for the inconvenience of having those cars $xxx,xxx ??

If I had a bigger fag box i'd keep going.....

Put it this way for simplicity if all those cars disappeared in the morning with the equipment how much would it cost to replace them ??

• Advertisement

<...>My understanding is the the Revenue Commissioners were asked to review the BIK rules and are all kosher as well. Have a read of the link above or do an FOI.

Regarding the Prime Time programme, they forgot to leave out that the poor individual driving from Donegal to Dublin to work was assigned to that role and did not receive any extra money or expenses. He travels at least 7 hours round trip as well as a days work and contactable en route and at night for NO extra pay. I can see a big queue for that "junket"<...>
    My understanding of BIK rules is that assistance with the costs of commuting to work is a BIK, and due for tax. It doesn't matter where a person chooses to live. If a person in Cork takes a job in Derry, then their costs in getting to Derry are their own affair.

That's my understanding of how BIK works.

Advertisement