Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going For a Medical

• 12-03-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all,

Iv just secured a new job and have been asked to go for a medical. I don't have a problem with this but I'm just wondering can work doctors obtain my files from my own GP. I had some issues in the past which I'd rather keep to myself and would not be comfortable giving out this information when going for a medical.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I wouldn't worry about it. My medial consisted of height, weight, vision, family history and asked how much I drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Charliewharlie

I went for a medical for my last job and they asked me was I taking any medication, I was weaning off antidepressants at the time that I had been prescribed for aniexty and panic attacks.

I asked the doc what would be said to my new employer and she said they would say I had an underlying condition that does not affect my ability to do my job.

I've done two medicals for new Jobs and was never asked to provide my personal gp files I was also diagnosed with a potentially life threataning illness while in my last job, was out sick for 10 Weeks, work sent me to their doc but never contacted my doc I Dont think this would be allowed without your consent.

I know how you feel I worry about my medical issues if I have to do medicals now. Maybe ask your own GP how much background you must give.during a work medical.

Congrats on your new job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OzMister wrote: »
    Hi all,

Iv just secured a new job and have been asked to go for a medical. I don't have a problem with this but I'm just wondering can work doctors obtain my files from my own GP. I had some issues in the past which I'd rather keep to myself and would not be comfortable giving out this information when going for a medical.

Thanks

They would have to ask for consent for this as it falls under data protection

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For Medical Devices/Pharma I've done medicals which would consist of sight, hearing, a blowing into a tube, a urine test.

I don't remember being asked anything about my past and there was no contact with my GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,595 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It will totally depend on the job, and how much effect any conditions you might have would impact it.

eg Some multi-nationals only want to know that you have reasonable eyesight - vs some public safety jobs need to check out your mental health very carefully.

I've never heard of a work-GP asking for your own GP's file. But I guess it could be done if you have some condition which they need to be extra thorough in accessing whether you're able for the job or not (eg 95% of people with X cannot do jobs involving Y, except if they have Z in test-results, and your GPs file says you acheived Z).

• Advertisement
Advertisement