Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That 9k marker was 9.10km on my watch and the finish measured 10.00. I think they had to place the marker where they did as they were staked in the ground but no grass areas where necessary, just concrete and tarmac.
    Tough course/conditions alright. Well done and take the sub 40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

If the official result is not a sub 40 then there is no point pretending that it is. But really there's no real difference in a 39:59 and a 40:00. In the grand scheme of things both results are practically the same so I wouldn't lose much sleep about it and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    If the official result is not a sub 40 then there is no point pretending that it is. But really there's no real difference in a 39:59 and a 40:00. In the grand scheme of things both results are practically the same so I wouldn't lose much sleep about it and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself at all.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. there'll be no lost sleep here anyways, don't you worry ;)
    Next one will be 38:xx anyway :D

So how do you think you'll fair in the 1 mile relay in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well i wouldn't call you a jinx but .......:p

On a tough course with the wind, thats not a bad day's work.

Stop looking at your watch and just finish out a race regardless of time you want/are doing. Its two bad habits that you are getting into and you need to kill them now. Always run to the line no matter what.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Stop looking at your watch and just finish out a race regardless of time you want/are doing. Its two bad habits that you are getting into and you need to kill them now. Always run to the line no matter what.

Another fair point :D I should either look at my watch at all markers or not at all. I didn't look at it once between 2 miles and 9km. Unfortunately I picked the only marker that would give me a dodgy reading, but not getting the sub 40 is purely my fault, I accept that :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. there'll be no lost sleep here anyways, don't you worry ;)
    Next one will be 38:xx anyway :D

So how do you think you'll fair in the 1 mile relay in London?

Yeh exactly. Missing out on a sub 40 just barely, shouldn't get in the way of your progession. Next time will be sub 39 and sub 40 all at once, not merely another crack at the sub 40.

Not sure how I'll fare to be honest. I reckon I could probably run a 5:40 mile now off no specific training, just based on my 400 training, but I'll probably do a session that morning (as I have a bit of free time that morning in what is a very busy week) so I'll probably be a bit tired going in. Should easily get a sub 6 anyway. Managed the 1500m equivalent of that at the end of a decathlon. What are you looking at yourself?

Yeh exactly. Missing out on a sub 40 just barely, shouldn't get in the way of your progession. Next time will be sub 39 and sub 40 all at once, not merely another crack at the sub 40.

Not sure how I'll fare to be honest. I reckon I could probably run a 5:40 mile now off no specific training, just based on my 400 training, but I'll probably do a session that morning (as I have a bit of free time that morning in what is a very busy week) so I'll probably be a bit tired going in. Should easily get a sub 6 anyway. Managed the 1500m equivalent of that at the end of a decathlon. What are you looking at yourself?

Officially not running it. It's not part of my training programme.
    sub 5:30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Officially not running it. It's not part of my training programme.
    sub 5:30 :D

Hard luck meno
    i was out on an lsr this morning and it was too hot and windy for pbs. Throw in the lumpy course and youve got a crap day. Wouldnt focus on the time, however i hope you take it the right way if i said that the mental stuff needs some work (im def in that category myself) imo. Ive read that stuff on your log before - easing up for no real reason other than a missed target. You are doing fantastic training at the moment, but there is no point in 80 mile weeks if you arent going to cash in by emptying the tank in races.

No matter how well training goes and how good condition you are in, at some point in your mara sub3 attempt you are going to have a dodgy mile or two where doubt starts. As a habitual underperformer at the longer distances i appreciate more than most that its important to be sure that its biology and not psychology that is forcing you to slow.

Get out there and smash the next one buddy. If you fancy a lsr some weekend gimme a pm

Hard luck meno
    i was out on an lsr this morning and it was too hot and windy for pbs.

I actually had to go up to Rockbrook after the race and I saw you coming down the edmondstown Rd at what I assume was the end of your run? I give you a toot but you looked like you were really going for it at that point!!

Yeah deffo get you on the mental stuff and it needs work. That's one of the reasons I barely look at my watch in races anymore as I find seeing current pace etc, just gives me loads of doubts.
    I think I lost a few seconds at best today. I had a stitch with 1k to go and couldn't really do anything at that point, but it was gone with 400m to go at which point I should have kicked. That said I just checked and the last 400 were at 5:46 pace so maybe it is all selective memory. I was doubled over at the end of the race on the verge of puking anyway...

BTW I am off work for the next 3 weeks so give me a shout anytime, as long as it is not too early in the morning.

Hard luck meno
    i was out on an lsr this morning and it was too hot and windy for pbs.

I actually had to go up to Rockbrook after the race and I saw you coming down the edmondstown Rd at what I assume was the end of your run? I give you a toot but you looked like you were really going for it at that point!!

Yeah deffo get you on the mental stuff and it needs work. That's one of the reasons I barely look at my watch in races anymore as I find seeing current pace etc, just gives me loads of doubts.
    I think I lost a few seconds at best today. I had a stitch with 1k to go and couldn't really do anything at that point, but it was gone with 400m to go at which point I should have kicked. That said I just checked and the last 400 were at 5:46 pace so maybe it is all selective memory. I was doubled over at the end of the race on the verge of puking anyway...

BTW I am off work for the next 3 weeks so give me a shout anytime, as long as it is not too early in the morning.

Wondered who that was. I was at the end trying to learn how to run downhill fast :-). This week not good but after that good. Im doing plenty of midweek 8+ milers too (p&d ish) if that suits. Company would be great. Ive sent you my mob no by pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Still a pb and difficult conditions all around. Step back and on a nice flat course you should do some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Didnt see you there Meno. Will have to catch up with you next time. Not literally you understand... My intervals arent even as fast as your current easy pace.

Didnt see you there Meno. Will have to catch up with you next time. Not literally you understand... My intervals arent even as fast as your current easy pace.

Didn't know you were running yesterday finn, weren't you doing the marathon in Antrim on saturday? I would have looked out for you...how did it go? good to see that you are back out running again. Catch you soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VaderMLK

hello Meno, philip here. good to meet you again yesterday and well done on the run, it was defo a bit hard alright. I'm planning on doing a LSR on saturday with ~15-16k at PMP and could meet you where ever suits if Saturday suits you? your pace may be a few secs fast for me but in 5k sections should be ok. The earlier the better for me but can arrange so as to meet anytime in the AM

[/QUOTE]
    From next week i am off work for 3 weeks so I will hopefully get 80 miles in and set myself up for a 300 mile+ month. I will also have the first of my LSRs with pace (18 miles with 3 x 5K @6:51pace). If anyone reading is targetting a sub 3 and would like to do this run, give me a shout as I am pretty flexible on when and where I can do this.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Didn't know you were running yesterday finn, weren't you doing the marathon in Antrim on saturday? I would have looked out for you...how did it go? good to see that you are back out running again. Catch you soon..

Yes did marathon Saturday. Trying hard to get endurance up. Leg still not fit enough for speedwork yet so am trapped down the back where none of the mens tshirts fit :-(
    Plan is to get endurance up and then next year ... start building the pace back up. Its hard to miss a year out and catch up .

VaderMLK wrote: »
    hello Meno, philip here. good to meet you again yesterday and well done on the run, it was defo a bit hard alright. I'm planning on doing a LSR on saturday with ~15-16k at PMP and could meet you where ever suits if Saturday suits you? your pace may be a few secs fast for me but in 5k sections should be ok. The earlier the better for me but can arrange so as to meet anytime in the AM

Great stuff Phillip, it'd be great to do that run with some company. Would 9am at the Papal Cross suit? That way we could get 10k in with whatever group is there as warm up before doing the faster stuff. I'll send you a PM with my mobile..

Out of curiosity (and boredom being off work) I emailed the chip timing company from Sundays race to see if My time was on the high side or low side of 40 minutes flat.

I got a prompt reply:

Hi Niall,
    As per IAAF rule 165.24e we round to the next whole second (not the nearest second)

Your gun time to the hundredth of a second was 00:40:01.56
    Your chip time to the hundredth of a second was 00:39:59.45

Well done, but try and get that gun time down next time :-)

Regards

Tom

Interesting to see that they round up to the next whole second, not the nearest second.

Anyway I am going to take that as official confirmation of sub 40 :D #monkeyoffback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Out of curiosity (and boredom being off work) I emailed the chip timing company from Sundays race to see if My time was on the high side or low side of 40 minutes flat.

I got a prompt reply:

Hi Niall,
    As per IAAF rule 165.24e we round to the next whole second (not the nearest second)

Your gun time to the hundredth of a second was 00:40:01.56
    Your chip time to the hundredth of a second was 00:39:59.45

Well done, but try and get that gun time down next time :-)

Regards

Tom

Interesting to see that they round up to the next whole second, not the nearest second.

Anyway I am going to take that as official confirmation of sub 40 :D #monkeyoffback

Ba5tards :D

This week started off with the body a bit creaky, but I managed to get the miles in easy and was able to do my sessions on Wednesday and Saturday which is a day ahead of schedule. I will try to get this weeks session in early in the week too as I am off to london on friday for 4 days. The week after can revert back to schedule.

Monday: 10 Miles with MR Slow. It was about 25 degrees and my HR was about 10 BPM above where it should be. we followed most of the Dublin half route. Legs were very creaky

Tuesday 10.5 miles: 5 in the morning and 5.5 in the evening. The legs felt better by the second run and the HR back to normal. I decoded to go ahead and risk my first session on wednesday instead of thursday as planned.

Wednesday 10 miles in 1:16 consisting of 20 minute warm up (8:30 pace), 9 minutes @ 7:16/mile, 9 @ 7 min/mile, 9@6:44/mile 9 @ 6:26/mile and a 20 mnute cool down (8:35/mile) all continuous. Pretty tough run in humid condidtions, glad to get it done!!

Thursday 10 miles with Pistol75 in the morning, another 6 in the afternoon, very easy. After this I went and played a round of Golf in the evening and My hip/glute was giving me problems again. Found it very hard to swing properly for the last 8 holes which caused a lot of shanks :mad:

Friday 8.4 miles in the afternoon. Hip a bit creaky but HR very low despite the fact that the legs felt shot.

Saturday Met with the Boards crew at 9am and we did 7 miles as a warmup at 8:20 pace. then had a quick drink and headed out with Phillip (vader mlk) for 3 x 5k @ 6:51 pace. The first one was very tough as we battled into the wind and up the North Rd. Surprisingly it got easier after this :eek: and the other two went fine. Fair paly to phillip for gutting out this session as he had ran a 5k race on Friday night....
    Spilts for the 5ks were: 21:21 (6;52/mile), 21:00 (6:47/mile) and 21.09 (6:49/mile) followed by a 2 mile cool down.

Total: 18.2 miles in 2:18 (7:37/mile).
    For some reason Garmin Connect refused to upload the activity but I managed to jot down the totals from the watch before it was wiped. I am hoping someone can help me retrieve the file (see post in the garmin megathread).

Sunday 8.6 miles with Aimman along the canal and part of the DCM course. Nice and easy, lesg pretty shot but were feeling better by the end.

Weekly total: 7 days running and 81.5 miles
    Thats my giggest ever weekly total by about half a mile :p

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|28/31|290.1
    February|24/28|236.9|February|27/29|283.2
    March|23/31|221.9|March|24/31|204.7
    April|22/30|176.4|April|23/30|187.8
    May|25/31|198.5|May|29/31|240
    June|24/30|180.6|June|20/30|176
    July|28/31|269.4|July|28/29|292.2
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|181/211|1674.5

Two days to make 300 miles for July, I should be safe enough on that front!!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Some serious training going on there. Fair play

• Advertisement

Just back from London so this is the first time I have had a chance to update the log...

Monday 30th July
    4x2 Miles at 6:30 Pace :eek:
    Was Nervous about this as I had only just done 18 miles with 3 x 5k 36 hours beforehand, but with going to London on Friday it was the only way to get my 2 sessions in...Luckily theboyblunder was doing a similar run (18 with 10@PMP) so I met up with him in Marlay Park. After a few miles warm Up we lashed into the Pace miles around the 1k loop. After half a loop I asked tbb what his pace was as my garmin was showin 6:4x/mile. He assured me we were going much faster than that and his garmin confirmed 6:2x pace :confused:. This continued for the first two miles so I decided my Garmin had to be wrong so we measured out the 2 mile point according to tbb's garmin and I stopped there. My recoveries lasted 3 minutes as I waked back 200m to meet tbb coming back around and then joined him for 3.2 laps again. The run thus worked out well for both of us.
    Surprisingly I felt absolutely great CV wise for this though the legs were giving out stink, they were still tired from saturday's run. I considered dropping out after 3 reps but thankfully ploughed on.

I ended up completing the 4 2 mile reps in 13:00 (6:30/mile pace), 12:56 (6:28/mile); 12:55 (6:27/mile) and 12:49 (6:25/mile).
    Total: 12 miles in 1:27 (7:16/mile)
    Great session and great to get it done with company. My Garmin never really settled and my paces in the reps continued to show up all over the shop...The 1k loop in Marlay is completely tree covered which seems to put my garmin off. TBB's garmin trace shows an average pace of 6:27 for the pace miles (at odds to mine) so I am happy to go with that :D

Tuesday 5 Miles recovery, I was happy to take a very easy day as the legs were pretty battered by the previous 72 hours.

Wednesday 9.9 miles steady with a trim and fit looking Aimman. This was supposed to be very easy but Aimman got notions of going for a 10k PB and 2 quite fast miles were put in in the middle.

Thursday
    Met with Phillip for the first planned 20 miler of the programme. The plan was 20 miles with 4 x 5k @ 6:51/mile (21:15). Strangely I wasn't worried about this too much. With Saturday past's Long run including 3 x 5k at pace having gone well and Mondays session of 4 x 2mile reps at a faster pace I felt this would be dead easy :rolleyes:
    How wrong could I be?

After a 6 mile warm up we launched into the first 5k, which was tough enough but I put it down to being into the wind. It went by in 21:09 and we figured the second would be much easier as it was back downwind. A little 2 minute jog and we got stuck into the second rep. Half way through my garmin was showing 6:55 pace so I got to the front and pushed on a bit getting home in 21:12. There was no chatting on this rep, it felt tougher than the week before. Strangley it seemed to be into the wind as well. We stopped for a quick drink here and then picked a new route for the third rep to mix thing up. But straight away I was struggling to hold onto phillip and stopped briefly and told him I was done after half a mile. He convinced me to keep going and just do number 3 which I felt was a fair compromise, so I dug in. Still phillip completely dropped me here and I struggled to hold the pace even on the downhill eventually just scraping home in 21:18 (6:52 pace). I was completely shattered. It was a complete contrast to the previous saturdays run where I was really strong on the third rep and phillip was struggling to hold on....We jogged back to the cars at a ridiculously slow pace. I just felt wrecked. I briefly thought about going out and jogging the 3 missing miles to make up 20 miles but the body would have none of it so I packed it in.

17 miles in 2:12 (7:44/Mile). Went home and lay down for the rest of the evening...

Friday Flew to London and got in a very slow recovery run of 5 miles near Brianderunners gaff.

Saturday I figured I would try to make up for thursdays run and get in a nice long run at a decent pace. Went off at what i felt was a decent clip but on looking at the garmin I saw I wasn't even breaking 9 min/mile :o. The legs got weary as I went along, chest seemed to be acting up too. Ended up just doing 6 miles at a slow pace and called it a day.

I took sunday completely off as a precaution.

Weekly total: 6 days running and 54.1 miles

A week that started off really well ended up pretty badly. First bad week of the programme :mad:

July|28/31|269.4|July|30/31|309.2
    August|23/31|244.6|August|7/8|55
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|190/221|1756.8

Thankfully I have had a few runs this week and am feeling much better already. maybe I just needed a bit of a rest. Certainly those 3 hard runs in less than 6 days really caught up with me and in retrospect it was too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just back from London so this is the first time I have had a chance to update the log...

Monday 30th July
    4x2 Miles at 6:30 Pace :eek:
    Was Nervous about this as I had only just done 18 miles with 3 x 5k 36 hours beforehand, but with going to London on Friday it was the only way to get my 2 sessions in...Luckily theboyblunder was doing a similar run (18 with 10@PMP) so I met up with him in Marlay Park. After a few miles warm Up we lashed into the Pace miles around the 1k loop. After half a loop I asked tbb what his pace was as my garmin was showin 6:4x/mile. He assured me we were going much faster than that and his garmin confirmed 6:2x pace :confused:. This continued for the first two miles so I decided my Garmin had to be wrong so we measured out the 2 mile point according to tbb's garmin and I stopped there. My recoveries lasted 3 minutes as I waked back 200m to meet tbb coming back around and then joined him for 3.2 laps again. The run thus worked out well for both of us.
    Surprisingly I felt absolutely great CV wise for this though the legs were giving out stink, they were still tired from saturday's run. I considered dropping out after 3 reps but thankfully ploughed on.

I ended up completing the 4 2 mile reps in 13:00 (6:30/mile pace), 12:56 (6:28/mile); 12:55 (6:27/mile) and 12:49 (6:25/mile).
    Total: 12 miles in 1:27 (7:16/mile)
    Great session and great to get it done with company. My Garmin never really settled and my paces in the reps continued to show up all over the shop...The 1k loop in Marlay is completely tree covered which seems to put my garmin off. TBB's garmin trace shows an average pace of 6:27 for the pace miles (at odds to mine) so I am happy to go with that :D

Tuesday 5 Miles recovery, I was happy to take a very easy day as the legs were pretty battered by the previous 72 hours.

Wednesday 9.9 miles steady with a trim and fit looking Aimman. This was supposed to be very easy but Aimman got notions of going for a 10k PB and 2 quite fast miles were put in in the middle.

Thursday
    Met with Phillip for the first planned 20 miler of the programme. The plan was 20 miles with 4 x 5k @ 6:51/mile (21:15). Strangely I wasn't worried about this too much. With Saturday past's Long run including 3 x 5k at pace having gone well and Mondays session of 4 x 2mile reps at a faster pace I felt this would be dead easy :rolleyes:
    How wrong could I be?

After a 6 mile warm up we launched into the first 5k, which was tough enough but I put it down to being into the wind. It went by in 21:09 and we figured the second would be much easier as it was back downwind. A little 2 minute jog and we got stuck into the second rep. Half way through my garmin was showing 6:55 pace so I got to the front and pushed on a bit getting home in 21:12. There was no chatting on this rep, it felt tougher than the week before. Strangley it seemed to be into the wind as well. We stopped for a quick drink here and then picked a new route for the third rep to mix thing up. But straight away I was struggling to hold onto phillip and stopped briefly and told him I was done after half a mile. He convinced me to keep going and just do number 3 which I felt was a fair compromise, so I dug in. Still phillip completely dropped me here and I struggled to hold the pace even on the downhill eventually just scraping home in 21:18 (6:52 pace). I was completely shattered. It was a complete contrast to the previous saturdays run where I was really strong on the third rep and phillip was struggling to hold on....We jogged back to the cars at a ridiculously slow pace. I just felt wrecked. I briefly thought about going out and jogging the 3 missing miles to make up 20 miles but the body would have none of it so I packed it in.

17 miles in 2:12 (7:44/Mile). Went home and lay down for the rest of the evening...

Friday Flew to London and got in a very slow recovery run of 5 miles near Brianderunners gaff.

Saturday I figured I would try to make up for thursdays run and get in a nice long run at a decent pace. Went off at what i felt was a decent clip but on looking at the garmin I saw I wasn't even breaking 9 min/mile :o. The legs got weary as I went along, chest seemed to be acting up too. Ended up just doing 6 miles at a slow pace and called it a day.

I took sunday completely off as a precaution.

Weekly total: 6 days running and 54.1 miles

A week that started off really well ended up pretty badly. First bad week of the programme :mad:

August|23/31|244.6|August|7/8|55
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|190/221|1756.8

Thankfully I have had a few runs this week and am feeling much better already. maybe I just needed a bit of a rest. Certainly those 3 hard runs in less than 6 days really caught up with me and in retrospect it was too much.

What training plan are u following these days?

What training plan are u following these days?

It's a custom plan from a coach.
    It's based mostly on Canova methods. I generally have 2 sessions per week and am filling in as many easy runs in between as I can without tiring myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Someone put that notion in my head ;)

Monday 6th August
    5.5 miles around regents park. Pace was back to normal and the effort was easy. Feels like I had shaken whatever I had at the weekend.

Tuesday

8 miles easy after arriving back from london.

Wednesday
    5 miles in the Morning, 6 in the evening

Thursday
    Session: 20 min warmup followed by 10 Minutes @ 94%, 98%, 102%; 106% MP 20 minute cooldown. It was really warm and these session had been tough previously (when doing 8 and 9 minutes at each pace). However on thursday it went really well and I nailed all the paces. The first 2 paces definitely felt easy and sustainable. For the first time in this session I was concerned with slowing the paces down to hit target rather than speed up to make it. Paces for the 10 minutes were 7:13/mile, 6:59/mile; 6:42/mile; 6:27/mile.
    Summary: 11 miles in 1:19:46

Friday: Recover runs 6 in the morning and 4.5 miles in the evning.

Saturday: 8 miles easy

Sunday:
    The plan was 20 miles with 8 @ MP. I had organised the pacers for the Midlands Half Marathon so I had a free entry. I decided to do a long warm up, do athe first 5 miles easy and then do miles 5.1-13.1 at MP followed by a cooldown of whatever I needed to make up 20.

I did pretty much that. The warm up was at 8:20ish pace and then I Started off with CL and Mr Stew who were pacing 1:50 (8:20ish pace), however I found this too handy and was soon doing sub 8 miles on the flat first miles. We hit the hills after 5 miles and of course this is where I had chosen my faster miles :rolleyes:. First one was downhill and clocked 6:36 and the second uphill and clocked 7:03 so I just ran by feel for the rest. The pacing was a bit erratic due to all the ups and downs. (6:36; 7:03; 6:56, 6:54; 7:03; 6;51; 6;50 for 7 MP)
    I was expecting to catch the 1:40 pacers round mile 9 but they didn't appear, it soon became obvious why as the mile markers seemed to be all clocking at 1.1 miles, so the pacers were having to run way too fast to keep up. Eventually I caght Ral3 at 11 miles and I decided to slow down to chat with him and ditch the last MP mile. The course was going to measure over 14 miles (14.3 miles in fact) so he had given up on pacing as it was pointless. I copped Racoon Queen just in front and Ral3 told me she was lead lady so I caught up with her and paced her through the last mile (7:10) to ensure no female tried to pass :D

The 1:50 pacers CL and MR Stew came in soon behind. Having copped at about 6 miles that the mile markers weren't coming back to them they sped up to 7:20 min pace for the last 7-8 to come in in 1:50 total. CL got a nice 3rd place prize for her efforts.

I did a 2.5 mile cooldown to make up the 20 miles.

Summary: 20 miles in 2:33 (7:40/mile pace) a Good workout nonetheless. But a shambles of a race in for tose racing it for a time.

Weekly total: 7 days running and 73.2 miles

August|23/31|244.6|August|11/12|110
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|194/225|1801.8

A bit late in getting up last weeks training due to the internet being down at home since last friday. Another good week although the legs were fairly in bits at some stages.

Monday
    10k very slow. Legs were completely dead after sundays Long run, I guess it was due to the hills as the quads in particualr were very sore..

Tuesday

8 miles easy. It was supposed to be an easy run but the legs were still whacked so it was more like recovery pace :o

Wednesday
    This was the key session for the week: 13 miles with 10 miles in 69:20 (6:56/mile pace)
    The plan for this one was to just run at what felt like a Marathon effort, not PMP but an honest reflection of where I am now. I did a good few of these in the run up to Blackpool so I was familiar with how the feel should be (no point using the HRM as it is all over the shop at present). This run nearly didn't happen for three reasons: firstly there was supposed to be a storm and gale force winds which thankfully never appeared. Secondly, the legs were totally shattered in the warmup so I considered pulling the plug, thirdly I got a visit from the gingerbread man at the end of the warmup :eek:. Luckily I was near the eden pub an I was able to nip in adn get it sorted :pac:.
    Anyhow, I was hoping the miles would come in somewhere around 7 min/mile. I didn't Garmin watch as I just wanted to run by feel but had a glance as the mile laps 'bleeped' off. When the second one clocked at just over 7 min on an easy downhill stretch I figured I was going to slow but thankfully I just concentrated on keeping everything smooth and easy and the miles sped up a bit and kept steady till the end. I never felt like I was stretching or puffing. Quite happy with the run as I know I have to knock about 10 sconds/mile off before Berlin but I am nearly 20 seconds/mile faster when I did this same run 6 months ago just before Blackpool.

Thursday
    6 in the Morning and 3.5 in the evening. Legs were totally shattered. The pace in the morning was as slow as I have ever ran. in the evening I planned on doing 5 or 6 but had to call it a day due to being wrecked.

Friday
    8 miles easy. Much Like tuesday, The legs were still wrecked so the pace was more like recovery.

Saturday
    20 miles in the Park at Just over 8 min/mile. I felt guilty about not finishing my 20 miles a few weeks ago so even though I was down for 16 I wanted to make up. Luckily Digger and CL were doing 20 so I met up with them in the Park. I had to endure lots of moaning and bitching from the boards glamour couple. That's unusual as I am normally the biggest moaner out there :D. Anyway after 8 miles Digger was ditched due to him moaning about feeling **** and instructed to do his miles on his own at a slower pace while myself and CL went off and sped up a bit. We got back to the cars after 20 Miles to discover digger had done his miles alone but at the same pace :p. Cue more moaning and bitching :p.

Nice run all the same. I strangely enjoyed it.

Sunday
    6 miles recovery after a boozy night out. Strangley the legs and body felt good.

Weekly total: 7 days running and 70 miles

August|23/31|244.6|August|19/21|188
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|201/234|1879.8

This week is an easy/taper week with Longford half on sunday. Decisions on Berlin will be amde based on that result so I want to be as fresh as possible. There might even be a few rest days :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I had to endure lots of moaning and bitching from the boards glamour couple. That's unusual as I am normally the biggest moaner out there :D. Anyway after 8 miles Digger was ditched due to him moaning about feeling **** and instructed to do his miles on his own at a slower pace while myself and CL went off and sped up a bit. We got back to the cars after 20 Miles to discover digger had done his miles alone but at the same pace :p. Cue more moaning and bitching :p.

They're only happy when they are giving out

This week is an easy/taper week with Longford half on sunday. Decisions on Berlin will be amde based on that result so I want to be as fresh as possible. There might even be a few rest days :eek:

Good luck, rough target time or just going to go for it? What's your current half PB?

TRR wrote: »

Good luck, rough target time or just going to go for it? What's your current half PB?

For a shot at sub 3 I'll have to be hitting 1:25:xx at a minimum so I'll be heading out at 6:30 pace and seeing what happens.

Current PB is 1:29:20 from waterford last December but I feel like I have progressed a fair bit since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

For a shot at sub 3 I'll have to be hitting 1:25:xx at a minimum so I'll be heading out at 6:30 pace and seeing what happens.

Current PB is 1:29:20 from waterford last December but I feel like I have progressed a fair bit since then.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

good luck on sunday meno!

I love the half marathon distance. 10 miles for pacing, 5 K for racing.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement