Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Good luck tomorrow boss.

Enjoy the sub4 jog but more importantly the pints after! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck tomorrow, Meno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Yeah. I hope your race goes well for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Quite positive Meno will give it socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So time to resurrect this with an update:
    Since my last update I have good news and bad. Firstly. Thanks to some massage from Ecoli, my injury seems to have miraculously cleared up and I have been injury free for about a month :D
    Secondly, for whatever reason as soon as the injury cleared up I started to feel like total crap. I would run a club session on a Tuesday and take a week to recover. The worst run I had was a 22 miler at 8:30 pace about a month ago with the stews where i Literally wasn't able to move or lift my legs for 30 minutes afterwards :mad: I went into Donadea 50k well rested but not confident after 2.5 weeks of crappy runs. After 4 laps of trying to tell myself I would be ok while actually feeling crap I took a sensible decision to ditch the run :o

I was quite concerned about my health and suspected something wrong with my bloods so I went to see a new GP on the Wednesday after Donadea and got my blood taken (still awaiting the results :rolleyes:). Funnily enough the day before that I had my first good run in weeks and all my runs since have been great, so I guess whatever was wrong is fine now...

Annoyed about Donadea I managed to get a place in a sneaky low key Marathon last week. I was aiming to take it easy and run 3:30 but in the end was very comfortable running 3:24 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/276649342

So on to this week and the Meath HM. I wasn't sure how this would go: while I had lots of LSR's done in training for Donadea and was doing lots of 5k paced intervals with the club on Tuesdays, I had basically no tempo or MP runs done. I just did the one run 10 days ago where I held 6:24 pace for 20 minutes quite comfortable so decided to go out for a PB today at 6:30/mile or 1:25:00 pace.

I got in a nice little group with Paulieyifter and we ran the first lap quite comfortably in just about 1:25 pace (going through 10k in 40 minutes flat), but I faded a touch in the second half and came in in 1:26:32. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279825758
    That's 13.17 miles @ 6:34/mile.
    Truth be told I am really happy with that. It is about 5 seconds outside my Official PB from Longford last Autumn, but If I am being honest Longford was short. It's not something I have said before but my watch never even registered 13 miles in Longford and today's run was an average of 6 seconds/mile faster than it was then.

I feel like I have loads of speed at the moment and would knock a 5-10k race out of the park (we'll see at the MSB race in 2 weeks :D). The regular interval sessions in Tallaght have helped a lot with that. I have plenty of slow endurance from doing all the long runs but not so much speed endurance as I have no LT or PMP runs done and that's what the next 5-6 weeks will be all about. I think I can bring the MP/HMP down a lot over the next month or so and would be confident if I get the training right over that period that I would go sub 1:25 in a half, but I will be doing London Marathon instead :pac: As you can see from the table below I am well down on last year's mileage at the moment but I have always peaked too early for my spring goal race, so I hope March will be my biggest month in terms of Miles and quality and that i peak well for London.

All in all quite happy with how things are panning out at the moment.

month|2012 Run days|Miles|2013 Run days|Miles
    January|28/31|290.1|25/31|243
    February|27/29|283.2|26/28|237
    March|24/31|204.7|3/3|25
    April|23/30|187.8||
    May|29/31|240||
    June|20/30|176||
    July|30/31|309.2||
    August|28/31|257||
    September|26/30|227||
    October|25/31|171||
    November|27/30|201||
    December|28/31|210||
    Total|317/365|2757.8.5|54/62|505

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

regular interval sessions should do you a lot of good

RayCun wrote: »
    regular interval sessions should do you a lot of good

Yep, I have definitely noticed the benefit over the weeks. I am going to add an MP or tempo run on Thursdays now too for March so i should start seeing additional benefits over the longer distances...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Delighted to see you back running so well. Great time yesterday in Bohermeen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

What is the goal for London? One hundred of a second outside another good for age time for Brian :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I managed to get a place in a sneaky low key Marathon last week. I was aiming to take it easy and run 3:30 but in the end was very comfortable running 3:24

and came in in 1:26:32.That's 13.17 miles @ 6:34/mile.

:eek: Thats an amazing couple of weeks!!

• Advertisement

What is the goal for London? One hundred of a second outside another good for age time for Brian :)

I'll set my goal after I see the results in Boston ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'll set my goal after I see the results in Boston ;)

Ha ha good luck with that. You are going to have to run a decent PB and you've two of them to be worried about this time ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Ha ha good luck with that. You are going to have to run a decent PB and you've two of them to be worried about this time ;)

Well if the wind is blowing the wrong way they are both fooked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well if the wind is blowing the wrong way they are both fooked :D

It's the wind out of diggers arse that the rest of the field are worried about :)

I think that the race is normally run into a headwind as the start is inland and you are running towards the city which is close to the sea. I think 46 out of the last 50 have had a headwind, it's unusual to get a tailwind, they got one 2 years ago and the lads ran mental times so you better pray they don't get one of those.

Good luck saturday meno. That 18:52 (I think!) is well over due a kick up the backside! I suspect it will get it too!:)

So March didn't go quite to plan. I hoped to get up to 280+ miles for the month but never got near that, mainly because I got sick in the middle of the month and that kept me out for the guts of a week.

Otherwise training has gone fine with a few ups and downs.
    The plan for the last month was an MP run every midweek, a Long run at the weekend and a few races. Just gonna log the key session here as the Long runs were pretty standard.

The week after Meath Half I was pretty wrecked so I just managed 3 miles @ MP (6:55/mile) with Digger on the Thursday followed by 22 miles with the last 5 steady on the Saturday. (Bray to Howth Run). I had intended running the last 5/6 at 6:50 but didn't have the energy so settled for going with the stews at about 7:20 pace.

The next week I had my first proper MP session midweek and did 10 miles @ 6:59 as part of a 14 miler. That course was mainly downhill so I was a touch disappointed with the pace, though I seemed to do some damage to the quads as they were still wrecked come Saturday and the MSB 5k.

I had a terrible race in MSB. The less said about it the better. I finished in 19:03 when I was fully expecting to go sub 18:30 based on my HM time a few weeks previous. Just felt I had no power in the legs on the day. A feed of pints afterwards so when i woke up the next day I put the crap feeling down to a hangover, but in the end I had a chest infection which kept me out for the guts of the week. Felt a little better by the Sunday so went for a 20 miler with MS, but found myself lacking energy at the end and couldn't finish with 5 @ MP as planned, instead I cut the run short at 17 miles.

Into the next week and the weather was at it's worst. I was really dreading to try the planned 10 miles @ MP with the wind as I knew on all my flattish routes I would be running pretty much 5 miles into a gale force wind which would likely break me. In the end I hatched the idea of going down to the club and doing 40 laps at MP while the others were doing their intervals. I managed 10.2 miles (40 laps from lane 2) @ 6:53 and felt comfortable enough despite snow showers and 40 x a gale force headwind on the back straight. A kind of breakthrough session for the confidence....
    Did 19 miles that weekend with Digger and CL with the last 3 steady.

So this week I planned my MP run for Tuesday. The plan was 5,4,3,2,1 miles @ 6:50 pace and I went to the 1k loop in Marlay. After a mile warmup I got into it, but it was apparent immediately I was in no mood or form, managed 5k at 7:03 pace and couldn't go any faster. Called it a day and went home dejected.
    I Decided I would have to go again so went out the next day and did 11 miles straight at 6:50 pace. Delighted with that. No idea what happened the day previous but good to out it behind me immediately.

Fast forward to today. I asked Rory Mooney a few weeks ago if there were any races today and he pointed me to a GAA 10k in Longford. I would have loved to have done the 4 miler in Raheny yesterday but I was working so committed to going to Longford this morning for a race I had no idea about, no guarantee it was measured properly and no idea of the profile. That said I figured since Longford Marathon is flat that this might be too, but as I headed from Edgeworthstown to Granard (a few KM from the start) I saw the hills in the area so I knew it was going to be a toughie. As we came into the GAA ground I could see the start line and a long downhill ahead for the first KM and this confirmed that it was not a PB course. Still and all I have a soft PB of 40:00 for a 10k. So even though my HM time says I should run 38:xx I said I would be happy enough to break 40. The two mooneys were in the race and about 100 others though most were doing the 5k which would run 2.2k of the same course before turning off for a loop and running the 2.2 k back again. Our course according to the race director was a straight 5k out and back again.
    Anyway the whistle went off unexpectedly and I soon found myself in a group of 3 behind the mooneys. Despite the 5kers doing the first few kms with us, the first 5 runners were all doing the 10k!!
    Our group was running well. Although the first half was predominantly downhill and downwind I was still surprised to see we were still running 6:0x pace after 3k and let the 2 boys off. I figured it was still flat enough not to warrant such a fast first half. At the halfway point I was at about 19 minutes flat. The turn came soon after 5k on the watch so I was confident the course was properly measured. At this point I was about 15 seconds behind 4th place with 3rd pulling away. I kept 4th in my sights and was gradually inching him back and I could see his form tiring.
    It soon became apparent why we had run the first half so quickly as the wind in our faces was very strong and the inclines were much steeper than the downhill seemed in the first half. The pace dropped considerably but I was closing on 4th place. Then just before the 8k Mark (where the 5k runners had turned off to do their extra 600m loop) I saw the marshall point the 3rd runner off the course to do the same extra loop. A quick look at the garmin and an attempt to remember the course confirmed to me that this was a mistake. I saw the guy in 4th turn off as well and then slowed down to shout at the marshall that this was a mistake. Conversation went like this:

Meno: The 10k is straight on!!
    Marshall: Everyone else turned off
    Meno: *points ahead* there the 8k marker there. i have already done 8k *flashes garmin* the Race director told us it was out and back
    Marshall: Well I don't know but everyone else turned off
    Meno: **** this I came to do a 10k race not an 11k race.

I probably lost about 10 seconds here but went straight through regardless Jumping into 3rd place. I actually thought I was in 1st for most of the rest of the race and thought about how embarrassing that would be. I was glad to see the Mooneys had already finished when I got back though. But now I had no-one to chase so the race went out of it a bit and the hills got harder as I neared the end, it became a matter of finishing it out. I Finished up passing the 5k stragglers on the final hill up to the clubhouse and crossed the line in 39:45 (6:23 pace) for an unofficial 3rd place. I think there was a good minute in me on a better course but overall i was Happy with the race. A 15 second PB on a course that was most definitely not a PB course. (Rory Mooney went through 10k in 37 minutes and would normally be a few minutes quicker).
    The splits for the race tell the story of the course because I think I paced it well enough effort wise: 6:01, 6:14, 6:16, 6:30, 6:44, 6:44 and 1:21 for the last bit.

month|2012 Run days|Miles|2013 Run days|Miles
    January|28/31|290.1|25/31|243
    February|27/29|283.2|26/28|237
    March|24/31|204.7|26/31|234
    April|23/30|187.8|7/7|47
    May|29/31|240||
    June|20/30|176||
    July|30/31|309.2||
    August|28/31|257||
    September|26/30|227||
    October|25/31|171||
    November|27/30|201||
    December|28/31|210||
    Total|317/365|2757.8.5|84/97|761

On a side note, i have been watching the diet for the last 3 weeks or so after reading Krustys log and his recommendation of the myfitnesspal Website. By tracking my food and calories and logging the runs I have managed to drop from 76.4kg to 73.2kg as of this morning. Happy with this development as I haven't had to sacrifice much, just avoid the crap food on easy days. Haven't had much beer since the MSB race which has also helped a lot. Hopefully I can get down below 73kg for London without feeling weak.

Meno: The 10k is straight on!!
    Marshall: Everyone else turned off
    Meno: *points ahead* there the 8k marker there. i have already done 8k *flashes garmin* the Race director told us it was out and back
    Marshall: Well I don't know but everyone else turned off
    Meno: **** this I came to do a 10k race not an 11k race.

Tough month for ya, but a nice start to April breaking the 40 barrier. Loved the above, always the risk with the GAA races that thinks might so a bit astray! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Great stuff meno..... Sounds like that marshal could do a job for Anto in Kildare ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice work today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Well done Meno. Good result in what sounded like a bit of a mess of a race. Those midweek marathon paced runs and long runs at the weekend will have you in great shape for London. If you're hitting those every week then you can't go too far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Still a very solid month Meno, just shy of 60 miles a week, will stand to you in London. Well done on the weight loss too.

Well done Meno. Good result in what sounded like a bit of a mess of a race.

In fairness for a tenner it was a grand race. No chip timing or any of that but a great feed after and everyone was very friendly. Apart from the marshall pointing lads the wrong way (and the ones who obeyed have much more to complain about than me ;)) the only minor gripe was having to steer around groups of 40 minute 5k'er up the last hill:
    8627049297_a951509f7e.jpg

Though a few seemed to be able to up their pace and challenge whenever I went past them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Meno you are looking in fine shape since the last time I saw you... Well done on the run today and good luck in London big man...Look forward to following your blog once again

well done Meno - always impressed when I hear about people who travel for these races. That's a fair ways away!

Despite everything, that's solid milage for March.

always impressed when I hear about people who travel for these races. That's a fair ways away!

We all don't live in Dublin and have loads of races on our doorstep you know! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good stuff meno

In fairness for a tenner it was a grand race. No chip timing or any of that but a great feed after and everyone was very friendly. Apart from the marshall pointing lads the wrong way (and the ones who obeyed have much more to complain about than me ;)) the only minor gripe was having to steer around groups of 40 minute 5k'er up the last hill:
    8627049297_a951509f7e.jpg

Though a few seemed to be able to up their pace and challenge whenever I went past them. :pac:

Dude, are you absolutely sure you weren't running in the Community Games? ;):)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Dude, are you absolutely sure you weren't running in the Community Games? ;):)

Haha, that road looks like the entrance to Mosney sure enough! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Haha, that road looks like the entrance to Mosney sure enough! ;)

:D And I'm a little concerned at the state of the front of his shorts! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Wasn't it somewhere around here that Forrest gave up running...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement