Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Charity Appeal

• 16-04-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/squad-cars-may-be-bought-for-gardai-by-concerned-citizens-acting-commissioner-30192506.html

GARDAI are considering allowing concerned citizens and community groups to provide patrol cars emergency vehicles for the garda fleet.

Acting Garda Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan said that the force accepts that it needs to look at “new ways of doing things”

However, the issue remains under review with no final decision taken in conjunction with the Department of Justice.

Commissioner O’Sullivan’s comments came as gardai accepted the donation of a €45,000 new van for community policing duties from Cork businessman, Tom Cavanagh.

To date, no garda squad car or emergency response vehicle has ever been privately funded.

But Commissioner O’Sullivan said that as the police force restructures and re-organises itself to make maximum use of available resources, everything needs to be considered.

“It is something certainly that I think we need to look at. At the moment what we are doing is identifying the priorities that we need to go about,” she said.

“We are very fortunate that we have had an opportunity to invest in the fleet. We have a number of new cars and those additional cars have been made available to us for the fleet.”

“They have been distributed around the country. It is something that we keep constantly under review and we will continue to do that.”

“The community bus today is a very positive aspect and not alone does the bus come to the community here today but this is the fourth such bus we have had (donated). I call it the old bus but it is still very roadworthy.”

“It is going to Tralee as well so two different communities benefit from it. We have had some donations of community buses before and that is very welcome.”

Commissioner O’Sullivan said that the issue of gardai mirroring police forces in north America by accepting privately funded vehicles will be reviewed.

“I think we have to keep the situation under review. I think we have to look at new ways of doing things. But at the moment I am happy with the investment that we have in the fleet,” she said.

Gardai are currently deploying 170 new patrol cars and emergency response vehicles under a fleet investment sanctioned by Justice Minister Alan Shatter last October.

A further 130 vehicles will be provided over the coming year as part of an overall €4m investment.

The vehicles, the bulk of which will be Fords and Toyotas, bring to almost 250 the new vehicles provided for gardai since 2012.

Advertisement