Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get better at working in a team or go out on my own?

• 15-03-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

As I'm progressing through my job, I'm feeling that I need to get better at working in a team and sometimes even need to get better at persuading people to do things. My role is technical at present, but it is also incorporating some management tasks which I don't really feel proficient at. The thing is, that other jobs in my field involve even more of those management-type roles.

I have never been amazing at being a team player. However, given the nature of the jobs in my area, they require persuasive types who have technical know-how and also the ability to sell their ideas to other people. I never really had this personality trait and it will be too much effort on my part to be like that.

I would like to know : is being a good team player and having good selling or persuasion skills a crucial trait for promotion and getting higher paid jobs in general?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In general, yes.

You could consider consulting and/or contracting. But to be honest, with both those paths while you can get away with being less of a "team player", you have to make up for it with good selling and persuasion skills. Whether you are doing it for yourself, or for a consultancy, you have be able to sell yourself to clients and when you are working for them you'll generally need to be able to pursuade/influence them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Compare the consequences if you make a ***up in your own capacity as a consultant, and making the same mistake in a team? How tolerant is the team? Is the team likely to help each other along? Or is it everybody for themselves? Or dog - eat - dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Very few places you'll be working alone, either employed or as a contractor. So it would be more useful if you learned to be a team player..

Remember, you don't have to eat-sleep-live team, just be professional at getting along with people. You don't have to like them, just work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

bbam wrote: »
    Very few places you'll be working alone, either employed or as a contractor. So it would be more useful if you learned to be a team player..

What are good ways to learn being a team player that easily translate onto a CV? Are team sports the only way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

What are good ways to learn being a team player that easily translate onto a CV? Are team sports the only way?

God no I haven't played any sports since school and don't intend to either :P

If you have been to college and did team based projects or presentations mention those.

Or previous work experience with teams.

Even something as simple as an extra curricular like being a member of a drama club or being on some kind of committee illustrates you can work with others to implement a shared plan- ie a team player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say not..
    I'd say start by getting your head round something like this.. It will give you an appreciation of the basics and add to your CV.

http://www.cmit.ie/courses-management-business-finance-distance-learning/fetac-certificate-in-supervisory-managment-skills-level6.html

Advertisement