Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Really worried about my job

Options
  • 10-03-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job about six weeks ago and it's something that I've really wanted to get into for a long time. The work is exactly up my alley and the team is cool. Basically it's my dream job.

I have certain skills that I can bring to the job, but they'd be a bit more peripheral, so I have to learn a lot to really be as valuable as I want - although I know I can be.

The team has expanded and since I joined it hasn't been as busy as it was before. The work is shared out, but some people get more than others because of their skillsets / previous customer relationships, etc.

The other day, one of the main bosses passed a comment that she expected me to be constantly busy because other people on the team were busy with projects. I'd love to be constantly busy, but I the work isn't necessarily there all the time (although I hope this will change). But I've been freaking out ever since that it looks like I'm sitting on my hands.

I would normally be very proactive in work, but I'm very conscious of the fact that I'm not as capable of things as other people in there, and sometimes they'd be quicker sorting things themselves than showing me how. It's kind of knocking my confidence to be honest.

I know I probably should go talk to this person, but I don't want to come across as a whingebag either! I have never been a slacker in work ever, but I'm very worried that it's coming across this way, and it's heightened by the fact that I love this job so much and it has so much potential. I'm on a six month probationary period and if it doesn't work I don't know what would be next 'cause they probably took a chance taking me on as I have differing qualifications and I feel like I'm not shining at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Do you have a regular meeting with your boss? If so, speak up and tell them where you're struggling.

If you can lay out what you've just said above it shouldn't come across as whinging:
    - You're willing to work hard but you feel yourself you're not getting enough work
    - You want to get more work
    - You're new to this role, you're really enthusiastic about it, but you need a bit of help to get properly up to speed

You said yourself they took a chance on you, so they must have realised you are not going to be 100% proficient from day 1. It might be a bit slower at the beginning, but it's in their interest to have a more experienced person help you to get up to speed.

Advertisement