Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skinni jeans - how do you wash yours?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

so, i have my skinni jeans a whole now - jsut wore them a few times. I am bet into them but I love them. I am scared to wash then now though in case they don't fit me (you know the way your jeans feel a bit tighter after washing). The girl in the shop told me that there is no need to wash your jeans - just hang them on the line for a while.. yuk.
    But still i am scared to wash them in a machine - thinking a dunk in cold water with some comfort at best.
    But how do you wash your skinni's so that they don't shrink or feel too tight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

wash at 30 degrees and don't tumble dry (that's what really tightens them IMO)
    cold water and comfort won't wash them at all! bear in mind washing at 30 degrees won't get rid of stains, you'd need at least a 40 degree wash for that or else pre-treat with stain remover (which might change the colour of the denim, so you're better off just giving them a proper wash if they get stained) and otherwise 'if it's not dirty, wash it at 30'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

they don't look dirty at all - but they need a freshen up i guess.

been doing some research and i am seeing a trend = cold wash with woolite dark.. sounds good eh?

dee_mc wrote: »
    cold water and comfort won't wash them at all!
    Nail on the head there. OP, you said 'yuk' to the idea of airing your jeans out instead of washing them, but that would still be better than using cold water and fabric softener. If airing them out is the equivalent of standing in a cool breeze instead of showering, cold water and comfort would be the equivalent of spraying yourself with perfume instead of showering - you're just making it worse.

Wash your jeans. Use a 30 degree wash and use detergent in moderation. As already said, don't tumble dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

also, if you're worried about fading, wash and iron them inside out.
    ironing on the inside also prevents the horrible shiny look you get if theres any stretch in the jeans and you use a hot iron!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Wash inside out, with zip up but not button closed.

Wash on cold or 30, quick wash and use a colour protect detergent (most big brands do one now - it's usually in a purple box/bottle).

Air dry on a clothes airer or on the line (still inside out).

Iron on a really low heat inside out (if you can avoid this step - do!).

Don't wash any higher than 30 - unless you have gotten an entire curry dinner on them, as this should be enough to get it out. Most colour protect detergents are also bio so this should be grand for getting stains out. Don't go near a dryer or a heater - both of these will shrink them. Make sure to re shape them when they first come out of the washing machine (less creasing!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Much like above, I always wash mine on cold and inside out. Regarding not having to wash jeans, I believe this is recommended for raw denim. My boyfriend wears Nudie jeans and he very rarely washes them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

the same way ud wash ur huddy?

• Site Banned Posts: 103 ✭✭newsunglasses

I wouldnt put them in the tumble dryer - its a huge drain on electricity,if you are paying for it you will feel it.

I wouldnt wash them in the washing machine either its a waste of a lot of water for one pair of jeans.

Instead i would put them in a basin or a sink of lukewarm water,about 30 degrees,and would put a little fabric softener in with it.

Leave it for about an hour and rinse out in another basin of water.

Advertisement