Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My first night at my rental house, a nightmare! I only slept for 10 mins!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ata S. wrote: »
    I think 12 months of payment wouldn't be an issue because the place could be rented easily as it is in a central location. If I would be someone who sleeps about at 3AM and goes to bars and clubs weekly this place would be my heaven.

So it is the deposit I'm worried.

Actually, even now I'm out of money right now. I have 20 euros in my wallet and about 100 euros credit card limit left. I spent hundreds of euros in 2 weeks since I arrived Ireland. (just the Garda registration card is 300 euros for example). Leaving that money behind is a big loss for me.

Could you get an advance from your employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

As someone mentioned before this is the main 'stretch' in Cork City centre. I dont know how the Landlord/Agent could have said it was a quiet area etc. If you think it'd bad now it would have been a whole lot worse during the college term!! Get out as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ata S.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Could you get an advance from your employer?

No, I'm a research's student actually. I'm very lucky to be paid even it's something small but enough to live.

No, I'm a research's student actually. I'm very lucky to be paid even it's something small but enough to live.

studentfinance.ie

You may find that useful.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

wrt40 wrote: »
    He's fobbing you off.

The reality is the lease is a one way document. It gives the tenant legal rights but does nothing for the landlord. You can move out whenever you like and there's nothing they can do about it. Your next conversation with this guy should be to tell him you are moving out and you will be taking your deposit out of the last months rent (this is normal procedure). And do not be nice to him. As a tenant you have a basic right to a good nights sleep. Believe me, you have a very strong case for calling this guy up and f-ing him out of it.

Also, check if he is registered with the PRTB. If he is not then you can use the threat of reporting him to get your deposit back immediately and not have to see out your last month.

This is not normal procedure - it is illegal.
    Please do not come on here advocating breaches to the RTA 2004

Bepolite wrote: »
    Probably going to get a slap for this but I'd stay there for two months, paying nothing else and leave the place in good order.

You know the rules - it is against the charter to advocate illegal behaviour.

Anymore suggestions of non -payment of rent will result in infractions being given.

• Advertisement

Drunks on the streets wake me up.
    Jul 8 at 5:30AM when I'm in bed
    youtube.com/watch?v=hSAFZaOCDZw

Are they wolves?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Would I be right in guessing that the estate agents are called Choices?

If they are, just cut your losses right now and leave the apartment. Forgo your rent and deposit. Stay in a hostel for a few nights if you need to, and look for accommodation that's further out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ringthebells

Faith wrote: »
    Would I be right in guessing that the estate agents are called Choices?

If they are, just cut your losses right now and leave the apartment. Forgo your rent and deposit. Stay in a hostel for a few nights if you need to, and look for accommodation that's further out of the city.

I've dealt with Choices before - definitely not brilliant fun to deal with but I managed to assign my lease with no problem with them, get my deposit back and move without losing a cent. I don't think OP has to lose money at all - put it up on Daft.ie, assign the lease and get going.

OP, if you're in UCC I would recommend sending out an email to the whole staff & student body asking for accommodation options. I've had really good luck this way and at least you know that roommates/locations found through here will probably be pretty suitable to your needs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've dealt with Choices before - definitely not brilliant fun to deal with but I managed to assign my lease with no problem with them, get my deposit back and move without losing a cent. I don't think OP has to lose money at all - put it up on Daft.ie, assign the lease and get going.

Well, that's good news for the OP so :)

Let's see what will happen tomorrow when I meet with the agent.

Two more recordings from Wednesday night (towards Wednesday morning).

Windows are closed.

youtube.com/watch?v=wbZo764VKOM

youtube.com/watch?v=nmimP7XTZlw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

This is not normal procedure - it is illegal.

Come off it, it's what most tenants do. Goes for childcare too. It's very common practice. I'm not giving legal advice here ffs.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

wrt40 wrote: »
    Come off it, it's what most tenants do. Goes for childcare too. It's very common practice. I'm not giving legal advice here ffs.

Don't argue a mod instruction on thread - this is a site wide rule.
    Personally I don't care how common practice your advice is, it is against the RTA 2004 and therefore against the charter.
    If you can't adhere to our charter, don't post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Mods almost always post in bold so that one can distinguish an instruction from from a contribution to the thread.

Let's see what will happen tomorrow when I meet with the agent.

Two more recordings from Wednesday night (towards Wednesday morning).

Windows are closed.

youtube.com/watch?v=wbZo764VKOM

youtube.com/watch?v=nmimP7XTZlw

Wolves and whales, outside your window.

You must be wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bepolite wrote: »
    I'd stay there for two months
    But staying is the problem the OP wishes to avoid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

the_syco wrote: »
    But staying is the problem the OP wishes to avoid...

The OP is totally worked up about this at the moment, and will never sleep when they go to bed believing they won't sleep and worrying about it.

As other posters have said, you soon become accustomed to noise so it's a matter of chilling into it and doing what you can to block out noise for now.

I had a noisy neighbors before. They had a little girl who sleeps very late with her mother and always running in the apartment.

I couldn't get accustomed to them in 2 years and the noise I'm hearing right now is much much worse :(

athtrasna wrote: »
    The OP is totally worked up about this at the moment, and will never sleep when they go to bed believing they won't sleep and worrying about it.

As other posters have said, you soon become accustomed to noise so it's a matter of chilling into it and doing what you can to block out noise for now.

That noise is unreal though. I could never acclimatise.

For example I get accustomed to car noise years ago. Cars doesn't wake me up. But human sound, screaming and shouting sound is not like that unfortunately.

Probably it has something to do with how the noise is spread. Human sound is instant. Car sound and other sounds are generally slowly volume up and slowly volume down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ata, either go and get some of those yellow ear things they give you on flights to drown out the noise (most chemists stock them) or see if the landlord will let you break the lease if you arrange a new tenant to move in your place. I rented for 18 years before buying and had to do that once, and on several other occasions the yellow ear things did the job. Worth a shot.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Are you paying rent by direct debit?

If not...whats the worst that could happen if you simply say nothing and move out tomorrow morning (assuming you can find somewhere else to live?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

For example I get accustomed to car noise years ago. Cars doesn't wake me up. But human sound, screaming and shouting sound is not like that unfortunately.

Probably it has something to do with how the noise is spread. Human sound is instant. Car sound and other sounds are generally slowly volume up and slowly volume down.

I feel your pain here - I live right on the quays in Dublin. Except of the complete knob on a motor bike that rides down here at 2am desperately needing a new exhaust traffic noise you can block out. People behaving like drunken dicks is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, i've lived on that street too. I like a bit of city life myself. Proper windows sort that noise right out. I put in triple glazed, barely hear more than a dull murmur.

Maybe request upgraded windows from the LL, but you are way below the standard rent there, so I suspect you're going to get what you pay for... And might need to move if you can arrange to get out of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

You've said earplugs give you headaches? How is this possible? They are just bits of foam in your ears that block out noise. This doesn't cause headaches. Lying awake listening to nightclub sounds causes headaches!

Given a choice between staying up all night taking videos, uploading to youtube, getting worked up or just getting used to earplugs; I know what I'd chose...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭properbo

that sucks. welcome to ireland! keep fighting and stand up for yourself. they should have told you everything. it's not really your fault.
    the agent/landlord can easily get another tenant, oh and have you ever heard of "joe duffy" (lol) he's your man ;-) best of luck

You've said earplugs give you headaches? How is this possible? They are just bits of foam in your ears that block out noise. This doesn't cause headaches. Lying awake listening to nightclub sounds causes headaches!

Given a choice between staying up all night taking videos, uploading to youtube, getting worked up or just getting used to earplugs; I know what I'd chose...

From Wikipedia:

Nevertheless, prolonged or frequently repeated use of ear plugs have the following health risks, in addition to the short term health risks:

They may cause earwax to build up and plug the outer ear, since it blocks the normal flow of earwax outwards.[19] This can result in tinnitus, hearing loss, discharge, pain or infection.[19] Excess earwax should be carefully removed from the ear, and earplugs should be cleaned regularly with water and mild soap. However, foam type ear plugs are usually designed to be disposable, and will expand and lose their memory property upon drying after washing with water and soap. They will become quite spongy, expand very quickly after being compressed, making them quite problematic in proper insertion into the ear canal. They also lose a large proportion of sound attenuating capability after such washing and drying.

They may cause irritation of the temporomandibular joint, which is located very close to the ear canal, causing pain. Individually fitted non-elastic earplugs may be less likely to cause this irritation compared with foam ones that expand inside the ear canal.

Earplugs are also a possible cause of ear inflammation (otitis externa), although the short term use of earplugs when swimming and shampooing hair may actually help prevent it. Still, many pathogenic bacteria grow well on warm, moist, foam-type plugs (polyvinylchloride (PVC) or polyurethane). However, there need also be a loss of integrity of the skin for infection to occur. Hard and poorly fitting ear plugs can scratch the skin of the ear canal and set off an episode. When earplugs are used during an acute episode, disposable plugs are recommended, or used plugs must be cleaned and dried properly to avoid contaminating the healing ear canal with infected discharge.

Are you paying rent by direct debit?

If not...whats the worst that could happen if you simply say nothing and move out tomorrow morning (assuming you can find somewhere else to live?)

I'd lose my 1200 euros rent + deposit :/

Maybe I can agree on moving out at the end of the month by taking my deposit but not the rent.

We will see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can't speak for the OP, but if I use them for long (eg overnight) I tend to get ear infections.

I just got an email, they'll easily refund it and I'll drop by and leave the keys.

This is very friendly and understanding.

• Advertisement

I just got an email, they'll easily refund it and I'll drop by and leave the keys.

This is very friendly and understanding.

Wow, you're very lucky.

Advertisement