Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first night at my rental house, a nightmare! I only slept for 10 mins!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

traprunner wrote: »

+1 for these, I can't sleep with out them!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ata S.

Drunks on the streets wake me up.
    Jul 8 at 5:30AM when I'm in bed
    youtube.com/watch?v=hSAFZaOCDZw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ata S. wrote: »
    Drunks on the streets wake me up.
    Jul 8 at 5:30AM when I'm in bed
    youtube.com/watch?v=hSAFZaOCDZw

Have you spoken with the agents yet?

He is out of town, will be back on Thursday. I wonder what will he do. I hope he understands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I think you should send them a letter or an email today, as outlined above, so that you have a record of the problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

He is out of town, will be back on Thursday. I wonder what will he do. I hope he understands.

He will likely try to fob you off. You know what you want, which is to live somewhere more quiet. Legally they probably don't have to do anything for you, so your best move is to follow the advice from earlier in the thread involving finding someone to assign the lease to or come to an agreement on breaking the lease.

Being out of the town is true IMO. He told me he won't be here for the week before renting the apartment and he is not at his office either, his secretary is.

We will see how he reacts when he arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He is out of town, will be back on Thursday.

Yeah, sure he is :rolleyes:

OP, I'm just thinking that you might not understand the irony of what I just wrote:

Basically I'm saying that I don't think he's really out of town. I think he's just finding a way to avoid you for a few days because he knows exactly what you're going to say, and he's giving it a few days of quieter nights in the hope that you might change your mind. I'd say this probably happens each time that someone new moves in.

fyi, living in the city-centre in Ireland, there will always be drunks on the street at night. You either need to move to the suburbs, or get used to it. Provided you feel safe (for me, that means being on the second floor, well out of harms way), you can get used to it.

If you really do need to move, them your best bet is to find someone else who wants to rent the apartment, and ask to re-assign the lease to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...even in the suburbs I have on occasion had to listen to loud drunks fighting and shouting at each other at 2 or 3 in the morning. Unlike the continent or the more rural parts of the States, Ireland can be a very loud place at night. You may need to invest in some foam padding and thicker curtains for the windows, if they are small enough to allow you to place such items in the window space. This might deaden the sound somewhat. Also try and move the bed as far away from the window as possible or even change the living room furniture for the bedroom furniture if there is space enougn to do this. You might find that a few adjustments might allow you to sleep.

Foam padding can usually be covered in fabric and made to exactly fit the inside window space fairly easily. I used to have to do this when I worked night shift in a suburban area with lots of kids, lawnmowers, intruder alarms and loud barbeque parties. I soon had the noise under control with foam padding, thick curtains etc. Not easy but the loss of €1200 and the difficulty of finding another appartment may be harder to bear, even harder when you are in a full-time job 9 to 5 with little opportunity to scout around fro alternative accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Being out of the town is true IMO. He told me he won't be here for the week before renting the apartment and he is not at his office either, his secretary is.

We will see how he reacts when he arrives.

He's fobbing you off.

The reality is the lease is a one way document. It gives the tenant legal rights but does nothing for the landlord. You can move out whenever you like and there's nothing they can do about it. Your next conversation with this guy should be to tell him you are moving out and you will be taking your deposit out of the last months rent (this is normal procedure). And do not be nice to him. As a tenant you have a basic right to a good nights sleep. Believe me, you have a very strong case for calling this guy up and f-ing him out of it.

Also, check if he is registered with the PRTB. If he is not then you can use the threat of reporting him to get your deposit back immediately and not have to see out your last month.

wrt40 wrote: »
    He's fobbing you off.

The reality is the lease is a one way document. It gives the tenant legal rights but does nothing for the landlord. You can move out whenever you like and there's nothing they can do about it. Your next conversation with this guy should be to tell him you are moving out and you will be taking your deposit out of the last months rent (this is normal procedure). And do not be nice to him. As a tenant you have a basic right to a good nights sleep. Believe me, you have a very strong case for calling this guy up and f-ing him out of it.

Also, check if he is registered with the PRTB. If he is not then you can use the threat of reporting him to get your deposit back immediately and not have to see out your last month.

There's plenty the landlord can do about a tenant leaving early in a lease, mainly around holding onto the deposit. Not paying the last month's rent may be common place but it is in no way legal. Anyway it's not an option here as the OP wants to move immediately and has already paid deposit and rent in advance.

Noise from the pubs across the road is not the agent's / landlord's problem. The best the OP can do is move out but assign the lease to get their money back.

Anyway it's not an option here as the OP wants to move immediately and has already paid deposit and rent in advance.

In that case I'd check the PRTB register, if property is not registered then he has them by the short and curly's. Other option is to put it down to experience and lose the deposit.

In that case I'd check the PRTB register, if property is not registered then he has them by the short and curly's. Other option is to put it down to experience and lose the deposit.

It's a new tenancy and they have a month to register it, but even if it was already registered I wouldn't expect it to be on the PRTB register yet. However, even if it wasn't, they could register it and pay the penalties. The agent and landlord have so far done nothing wrong except conceal the noise issue.

You're jumping to nuclear mode before we hear the agent's response.

Ata S., Here is the list of registered addresses:

https://portal.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx

Have a look for your address. If it's not there then tell them you want your deposit back or you are going to report them to the PRTB. Reporting them will mean fines and back taxes for the landlord, so he'll be better off giving you your money back and letting you leave peacefully.

http://www.prtb.ie/tenants/is-my-tenancy-registered-

It's worth a shot. Alternatively, you may want to contact the PRTB for some proper advice:

http://www.prtb.ie/tenants

come off it, the lad is being shafted well and good and you know it.

come off it, the lad is being shafted well and good and you know it.

Possibly but they still have a month to register the tenancy. So far it's been less than a week.

...The agent and landlord have so far done nothing wrong except conceal the noise issue.

Not concealing, what's being done is he explicitly stated the place is a quiet place and I have a section in my contract saying I should keep the noise minimum too.

I explicitly stated how I live. I go to work at 9AM, etc.

Where's the concealing?

Possibly but they still have a month to register the tenancy. So far it's been less than a week.

True but if he's dodgy he won't want the tenacy registered at all. He may be above board, but I'm just saying its worth a shot and may give Ata S. some leverage.

Not concealing, what's being done is he explicitly stated the place is a quiet place and I have a section in my contract saying I should keep the noise minimum too.

Where's the concealing?

The thing is he will likely claim there has never been an issue before and was thus not aware of any noise. In any case they are not responsible for the noise the bars make.

• Advertisement

His office is on the next street, 5 mins walking. It is impossible for him to not now about the noise at night.

The place is not a suitable habitat for living for a person who goes to work at 9AM.

Maybe tenants living there before doesn't go to work at 9AM. Maybe they are waitresses. Maybe they want to party every night too so they want to live there. I explicitly stated I'm not like that.

Basically he told me the place is quiet, I told me I want quiet, and it is not quiet. That's the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Probably going to get a slap for this but I'd stay there for two months, paying nothing else and leave the place in good order.

I don't even want to stay there for a night more. How can I live without a good sleep for 2 months?

I don't even want to stay there for a night more. How can I live without a good sleep for 2 months?

In that case just leave. Is the issue over the deposit or are you worried that you have signed a lease and need to stay for 12 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I would just move out. Cut your losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Your replies are always very aggressive IMO. I'll put it down to you being tired. That said you moved in, people are only trying to help.

I'm not aggressive man. Why would I be aggressive to you? I appreciate any idea.

Am I tired? Yes. I'm barely looking at my PCs screen.

Am I desperate and thinking how am I going to sleep this night? Yes.

Am I sad that I left my accommodation for this place? Yes.

Do I feel unlucky? Yes.

Am I aggressive? No.

In that case just leave. Is the issue over the deposit or are you worried that you have signed a lease and need to stay for 12 months?

I think 12 months of payment wouldn't be an issue because the place could be rented easily as it is in a central location. If I would be someone who sleeps about at 3AM and goes to bars and clubs weekly this place would be my heaven.

So it is the deposit I'm worried.

Actually, even now I'm out of money right now. I have 20 euros in my wallet and about 100 euros credit card limit left. I spent hundreds of euros in 2 weeks since I arrived Ireland. (just the Garda registration card is 300 euros for example). Leaving that money behind is a big loss for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

The same thing happened to me living in Temple Bar. A terrible mistake. Here is what I did - I rang the landlord and said I must leave the apartment as my job wants me to relocate abroad, it's an unexpected move.. blah blah. I asked the landlord could I move someone else into the apartment instead and let that person continue my lease. The landlord told me that would be ok as long as my flatmate was happy with that (which he was). So I found someone else to rent my room. I got the deposit off them and let that person move in and it was the best decision I made. I didn't remove my name from the lease either. There are always options. Demand to speak to the landlord. In my opinion, you made a mistake renting this place. It happens. Don't listen to people here saying 'youre stuck'. There's always a way to fix these things. I wish you luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I have a section in my contract saying I should keep the noise minimum too.

Standard clause in most leases. Does not apply to the noise outside

That is when a lot of people start work. It has no bearing on the letting agent/landlord.

Advertisement