Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Donegal

• 20-06-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Does anybody know if it is possible to get any kind of broadband in the Killygordon, Crosroads area of Donegal. Moved there recently and can only get 16kps on dialup :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

go to [URL="http://www.eircom.net [/URL]. you can check ur phoneline to see if broadband(thats dsl type) is set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bocban

Bocban wrote:
    Does anybody know if it is possible to get any kind of broadband in the Killygordon, Crosroads area of Donegal. Moved there recently and can only get 16kps on dialup :(
    Broadband is not setup according to Eircom. Wondering if there was any wireless broadband available in the area??

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Give NW Electronics a try maybe..

www.nwewn.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Try NTR broadband - you might be able to get coverage from their strabane transmitter.

byte

Try NTR broadband - you might be able to get coverage from their strabane transmitter.
    Not a bad idea there.

NTR also own Irish Broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Bocban wrote:

As this is the North-West forum: you might get some help by looking at:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=169756
    or the 'IrelandOffline forum'.

We seem to be having a number of exclusively Donegal related new threads, including one called Broadband access in Donegal.Which obviously divert attention away from other North-West counties ?..

The North-West in general suffers from the same problem, and IMHO if these Broadband access problems were posted under one thread, it might help us to receive the attention that is urgently required.

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You possibly may get U.TV broadband from the transmitter outside of Strabane.

There is a fibreoptic cable passing through Killygordon although Eircom would probably deny all knowledge of this as they did when asked if the Twin Towns was broadband enabled several years ago.

Its all down to demand in the area with Eircom and any of the companies that can lease the lines. Cllr. Patrick McGowan lives there so give him a call as he might be in a position to know what the story is in relation to anything up and coming

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

muffler wrote:
    You possibly may get U.TV broadband from the transmitter outside of Strabane.
    It's actually NTR Broadband who are the Northern part of Irish Broadband.

I had it in Castlefinn for about 18 months and dumped it for ADSL when Castlefinn got enabled as their service - like Irish Broadband in general - was pretty crappy, constant packet loss problems; but still 1000% better than Dialup, especially at 16K.

If you can see the top four or five lights on the TV mast in Strabane then you should be able to get it, something like Stg100 to install and Stg30 per month for 512/512.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

DonegalMan wrote:
    It's actually NTR Broadband who are the Northern part of Irish Broadband.

I had it in Castlefinn for about 18 months and dumped it for ADSL when Castlefinn got enabled as their service - like Irish Broadband in general - was pretty crappy, constant packet loss problems; but still 1000% better than Dialup, especially at 16K.

If you can see the top four or five lights on the TV mast in Strabane then you should be able to get it, something like Stg100 to install and Stg30 per month for 512/512.

If anyone knows it is DonegalMan, a founder of the excellent:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Forum and campaigning pressure group, the unsung volunteer's/heroe's of getting the internet and broadband to people throughout Ireland, at an affordable price, despite Eircom's anti-competitive stalling tactic's.

A forum that got u.tv too move into the Republic and as a result I was the first to have broadband in the Twin-Towns. A great forum worthy of everyone's support :) .Click on the above link, it is really educational ;) ?..

P. :cool:

Bocban wrote:
    How far are you from the exchange? 16k suggests strongly that you have a pairgain (line splitter) on your line.

That means that you have no chance of getting Broadband, even if the exchange gets enabled :(

Eircom have now agreed (reluctantly) to remove pairgains from lines where people are looking for Broadband though their actiual implementation of this seems very hit and miss.

AFAIK, they have no obligation to remove pairgains on lines into non-Broadband enabled exchanges (even though Comreg are supposed to be introducuing a 28k minimum standard for Dialup) but anecdotal evidence is that if you hassle them enough, they will do it.

Complain to them about the quality of the line - don't mention modem speed or they will politely tell you to feck off; tell them you are having regular noise problems (crackle etc) on the line, sometimes you can't hear callers; emphasise that it is not all the time so they can't just do a test and say it's okay.

It's terrible to have to go through that sort of subterfuge even to get a decent Dialup connect but that's ercomland as we have it in Ireland today.

An alternative to the above is if you are friendly with any of the eircom engineers, or know someone who is, they might be able to sort it out for you - despite the frequent criticisms I make of eircom management, their engineers on the ground are a sound bunch of guys and will do all they can to help you.

• Advertisement

DonegalMan wrote:
    Complain to them about the quality of the line
    Tell them it's so bad that you are seriously thinking of getting the line out and going totally mobile.

And talking of mobiles - look at this map (click to zoom in).

If you are in the red area between Killygordan and Stranorlar, then you might be able to get the new Vodaphone wirless service to be launched next month - thread about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bocban

I contacted NTR Broadband and have arranged for an engineer to come out and test the signal in relation to the nearest high site in Strabane. Will keep everybody updated on the outcome.

I also contacted http://www.nwewn.com/ but the nearest they are to Killygordon is the Barnes More Gap. They reckon they might be in the area within 3 months time, again it's demand lead.

Bocban wrote:
    Just an update on this, my son lives in Drumcannon near Crossroads, he had given up all hope of Broadband until Vodafone introduced their new data card (discussion here).

Although Crossroads/Killygordan is outside the 'official' 3G coverage area, he's getting 2 bars 3G reception* and a fairly constant speed of 348kb. Occasionally, the 3G drops but even with GPRS, he gets close to 60kb compared with the crappy 40kb he was getting on dialup - plus it's 'always on'.

(Should maybe point out that is house is fairly high up, don't know if that affects reception)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

Where and who do you contact to avail of this service"Vodafone data card service"!! I have searched the vodafone site and can find nothing!! Is it a flat rate service and are their limits on uploads and downloads etc..

byte

does o2 offer a service like this cos I am on a o2 plan!!!

Bocban wrote:
    I seen this on the Council website which may be of help

byte

From that, it seems satellite is your only answer. Pretty poor really.

I'm not overly familiar with Killygordon, but I wonder would you have Line Of Sight from your house to the mast in Strabane that is used by Irish Broadband owners (I'm not sure what name they have on the wireless service in NI).

I can see the mast in strabane clearly from my gaff!! Would that mean I would be able to pick up their service!!

dave_brent wrote:
    I can see the mast in strabane clearly from my gaff!! Would that mean I would be able to pick up their service!!
    See post #9 above

• Advertisement
    byte

Oops. For some reason I had overlooked DonegalMan's post, who had already mentioned the broadband from Strabane TV mast. :)

byte

Eircom are to upgrade another 100 exchanges nationally. To be completed during 2007.

Here is a few for Co Donegal, as posted by damien.m on Ireland Offline forum...

Raphoe
    Carrigart
    Convoy
    Mountcharles
    Muff
    Fahan
    Greencastle
    Manorcunningham
    Quigleys Point
    Kilmacrenan
    Killygordon

Full thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005172

byte

Just to note that for those in Letterkenny, Digiweb have launched their METRO service (the reason for their publicity lorry at Station Roundabout) last Friday in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

anyone use NWE at all? They've recently launched service in the malin/carndonagh area, I ordered almost edit*(not 8) 2 months ago (the contract tells me 4 weeks max waiting time) Every time I ring them i get the ol "aye sure we'll be around start of next week"
    I need some broadband damnit :(

edit number 2: apperently there gonna turn up today....we shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

b0bsquish wrote:
    anyone use NWE at all? They've recently launched service in the malin/carndonagh area, I ordered almost 8 months ago (the contract tells me 4 weeks max waiting time) Every time I ring them i get the ol "aye sure we'll be around start of next week"
    I need some broadband damnit :(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭icom

dave_brent wrote:

A friend of mine from Strabane recently enquired about getting this wireless broadband service. He was told that it was already working at 100% capacity, and that they weren't taking on any new customers.

They put him on a waiting list in the event of an existing customer moving off the service. They told him it was quite a long list !

byte

Hmm, if there was so much demand, you'd think that NTR Broadband would somehow increase capacity to cope with demand! They should remove it from their website if they can't offer any more connections.

I realise NTR are selling their Irish arm, Irish Broadband. Dunno if they are selling NTR Broadband (NI equivalent) also

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭icom

Yes, thats what you would think, but it might not be that simple.

Maybe they did look for additional capacity (more channels) and were turned down by the authorities ?

Or, adding more capacity on existing channels might actually result in a degraded service to their existing customers, because of the increased traffic causing more packet collisions and more re-tries for customers on the outer fringes of the service.

Obviously this means that people in the Lifford area have less chance of getting wireless broadband now that the Strabane mast is no longer available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well Broadband is certainly coming full steam to Ballyshannon... from all sides.. every road leading to the town is being dug up simultaneously. Internet may move faster but the traffic moves slower.

On another note. I am one of those unfortunate souls with a pargain (carrier) line. Connection speed 16.8kbps is the best I have ever achieved. On a recent call with eircom I again asked what were the chances of getting upgraded to a 'proper' line and was told that if my service provider Newtel requested it that would work. I told the Eircom guy that I paid my line rental to Eircom to which he said... Well switch your line to Newtel and then get them to request it. I thought this was a bit strange but tried it and.... they say no problem. They said that they would pay 50% of the cost of having my line changed and since I live 200 feet from the exchange this shouldn't be too much. That was on the 11th November. they said it should take about 3 weeks to complete so I will keep you posted. With all the disapointments in the past I wont get too excited but this seems my best chance of joining the 21st century yet. (p.s My connection speed in Lifford in 1995 was 56k)

• Advertisement
    byte

Yeah, there are roads being dug up in Donegal Town and Twin Towns also for this broadband... I'm presuming it's the Goverment's Metropolitan Area Network fibre optic thingy. Doubt if it'll be much benefit to the average Joe Soap.

Fair play irish1967 on getting somebody to do something with your pair-gain woes. I had pair-gain woes too when I was in Ballintra, and upgraded to ISDN, where they had to remove the PG for ISDN to work. A few days before the ISDN was installed, I had noticed my speeds had increased from 28k to about 46k, so I knew they had the PG removed.

Advertisement