Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which distribution for a newbie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

^ wat?
    diditwork wrote: »
    I dont understand why people aren't recomending Ubuntu?

Its the most fun dist out there i think, and also very easy to use!
    We've all moved to Mint instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ambasite

Linux Mint. Unlike various versions of ubuntu, it played mp3's, dvd's and other video formats with out having to go searching for codecs, no issues with soundcard either, easy to configure 3 usb modem. Best of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

I've just tonight loaded Mint, as a dual boot with windows XP. Can anyone say if, when using the internet with Mint, viruses which affect windows XP can enter the computer and gain access to the Xp side of things?

i.e am I immune from viruses when using Mint?

By the way, I like the Mint flavour, from what I've seen so far. Virtually everything worked - sound, wireless connection, power saving features, etc.

2 hours into linux my hard drive just started spinning aimlessly, although the system didn't freeze - the mouse worked. On reboot it would not get beyond bios, saying disk error. On eventually using the linux install Cd to try to get access to the laptop, when I get to the partitioning stage, it fails to show any partitions on my hard drive. Gave up. Then this morning I removed hdd and reseated it. On restart, the system is again ok. Is this a linux problem, or is my hard drive, by great coincidence, fading fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

hellbent wrote: »
    2 hours into linux my hard drive just started spinning aimlessly, although the system didn't freeze - the mouse worked. On reboot it would not get beyond bios, saying disk error. On eventually using the linux install Cd to try to get access to the laptop, when I get to the partitioning stage, it fails to show any partitions on my hard drive. Gave up. Then this morning I removed hdd and reseated it. On restart, the system is again ok. Is this a linux problem, or is my hard drive, by great coincidence, fading fast?

Thats sounds like a hardware problem to me, i would have said the harddrive crashed but seeing as it started working again it mush have been something to do with the enclosure or the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I presume that I'm posting in the right place...?

I've never used linux, apart from a while back when I ran ubuntu off the CD.

I would like to dual-boot it with Vista, but ran into problems before when I got as far as partitioning. Maybe it's an issue with Vista and that flavour of linux, I really have no idea, I won't even pretend to know anything about linux.

Would there be certain flavours that would suit both a noob and vista?

p.s. I cant remember the exact nature of the problem I had with the partitioning and cant find the CD so that I know exactly which version I used etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bubba HoTep

get linux mint!

its based on ubuntu, its has all the codecs installed already for closed source formats so theres no messing about with it like you have to do with most linux disros, its looks better too, sexy dark desktop (gnome, not kde) and it will take care of the partitioning too, works great with vista

opensuse11 is a very close second, not harm in trying each

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cheers lads, this is my first visit to the Unix forum, and the first thread I was going to make was to ask which distro would be best for a linux noob. But I didn't need to as you lads have kept this thread alive and well with up to date info and oppinions. My Dell lappy runs crazy slow ( cough...Dell bloatware....cough ) so I decided I would install linux, as I only really use my lappy in college for office type purposes and web browsing (and downloading files from RapidShare :P ). It normally takes 5 mins + to boot my lappy. I'm hoping it will at least half with mint. I am really looking forward to this now , lol !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bubba HoTep

best of luck christophicus let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SimplyMepis
    PCLinuxOS
    Mint

In no particular order, are the distros I would recommend for new users. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

SimplyMepis
    PCLinuxOS
    Mint

In no particular order, are the distros I would recommend for new users. ;)

Yup me too.
    I have used pclos since 0.93 and have also tried mepis and mint.
    Personally, I'd recommend pclos out of them all for ex windows users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

PCLinuxOS is very nice and polished. There was a very long gap since the last release, however.

ethernet wrote: »
    PCLinuxOS is very nice and polished. There was a very long gap since the last release, however.

It's a rolling release so can go on longer between releases. Saves on reinstalling every 6 months like in the buntus or mandy.

Personally I think PCLOS should release a 'snapshot' every month.
    No big deal, just a remaster using the current repository.

Sure would save new users from the big downloads after install that can accumulate in a rolling release distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

I still like Xubuntu, especially 9.04. It's especially good for the leightweight machines out there. And really, is going "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras' that hard?

Dartz wrote: »
    I still like Xubuntu, especially 9.04. It's especially good for the leightweight machines out there. And really, is going "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras' that hard?

Isn't it easier to just tick a box or add a line to your package manager GUI?
    Most new users come from windows and never used the CLI. Kubuntu is the poor relation in the ubuntu family. Ubuntu support for KDE is a disgrace and there are a helluva lot better KDE distros out there.
    Ubuntu is noob distro due to marketing and ignorance. People google and find ubuntu at no 1 so try it. It is at no 1 cos of fanatical blogging by ubuntuites - blogs that are basically about Linux and Linux apps but instead of Linux, it is ubuntu in the title. Sorts "100 great ubuntu apps" and every app is gnome app available in every distro.
    Some say that ubuntu's greatest strength is it's community but this community is made up of lots of people giving out bad advice and propaganda.
    I'm not a big fan of the way ubuntu is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Well, I like Linus Torvalds' attitude to all this:

http://news.oreilly.com/2008/07/linux-torvalds-on-linux-distri.html

And when it comes to distributions, ease of installation has actually been one of my main issues - I'm a technical person, but I have a very specific area of interest, and I don't want to fight the rest. So the only distributions I have actively avoided are the ones that are known to be "overly technical" - like the ones that encourage you to compile your own programs etc.

Yeah, I can do it, but it kind of defeats the whole point of a distribution for me. So I like the ones that have a name of being easy to use. I've never used plain Debian, for example, but I like Ubuntu....

There are plenty of distros out there for people who want to use the command line, but I think there's room for a few distros that ordinary people can actually use.

drakshug wrote: »
    Most new users come from windows and never used the CLI. Kubuntu is the poor relation in the ubuntu family. Ubuntu support for KDE is a disgrace and there are a helluva lot better KDE distros out there.
    Ubuntu is noob distro due to marketing and ignorance. People google and find ubuntu at no 1 so try it. It is at no 1 cos of fanatical blogging by ubuntuites - blogs that are basically about Linux and Linux apps but instead of Linux, it is ubuntu in the title. Sorts "100 great ubuntu apps" and every app is gnome app available in every distro.
    Some say that ubuntu's greatest strength is it's community but this community is made up of lots of people giving out bad advice and propaganda.

Shrug...
    You put it your disks and you get your OS. It works with less fuss than Windows ever does, that's all I'm worried about. I don't give a **** if it's a noob distro or not.... who should? It does it's job and isn't fussy to use.

And compiling things from source is a bugger. I compiled and installed HandBrake today.... and had a hell of a time working out what in blue blazes I was missing and why it was failing for three hours. I *can* do it, and I know how fix the odd glitch with a quick Google and a prayer...

But I'm not a Linux enthusiast. the reason I started using Xubuntu was because it ran better on my old laptop than Windows XP. Found out that 9/10 it was just as convenient, if not more so, than Windows to use, so stuck with it....

I compiled and installed HandBrake today....

Why did you need to do that?

Was it not available in the repository?

Why did you need to do that?

Was it not available in the repository?

Surprisingly, it wasn't. 64-bit Xubuntu 9.04..... That and someone told me that it it'll run much faster if compiled, rather than if I just waited and installed it when it finally appeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

drakshug wrote: »
    I disagree. You're forgetting that it's one of the main things of Ubuntu is that should be usable in any language, which makes it a very international distro, which makes it more popular.

As for a noob distro, I'll admit that it was my first Linux, and that I was recommended it as it was supposedly an easier one to get into than some others. Based on my experience, I think it's retarded to call it a noob distro.
    Ease of use is a sign of a good product, not a bad one.
    The way that's being ignored by some Linux users is part of why Linux still so far from the mainstream. I suspect some prefer it that way.

It's Debian based, it has Gnome, it's reguarly updated and the community is HUGE, so there's always someone who's had the same problem as you.

Really, a while ago, I almost started to beleive the "Ubuntu for noobs" hype, and started shopping around. I couldn't find a single compelling reason to abandon an OS that does everything I ask it to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

As for a noob distro, I'll admit that it was my first Linux, and that I was recommended it as it was supposedly an easier one to get into than some others. Based on my experience, I think it's retarded to call it a noob distro.

It's supposed to be a noob distro, that's the whole point of the Ubuntu project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

It's supposed to be a noob distro, that's the whole point of the Ubuntu project.
    I think the goal you're referring to is usability.
    I'm all for rolling the sleeves up and getting your elbows dirty with an operating system, I have plans to get familiar with a few more distros when I find the time. But I make a living with my computer, so I need to be able to do everything, and do it as quickly and cleanly as possible. Ubuntu hasn't let me down yet. Apart from a time when I ****ed the graphics drivers a few years ago, but that was me letting it down I think. I have an ATI graphics card in an Ubuntu machine, so don't think I don't know pain.

It's always worth talking to people with a different viewpoint though, so I'll ask you, what in your opinion would be a better distro for a web developer who dual boots with XP? (sadly I have to test in IE6 on XP). What's your posion and why do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I'm a noob and always will be as don't have time to learn the arcane commands of Linux. However speaking as a person who dual-boots XP I give my vote for Linux Mint 7. Works straight out of the box, is based on Ubuntu but much more user friendly especially coming from the Windows world like I do. I have it installed on a Dell Dimension 8400 and it picked up the graphics card straight away and I was able to use 3D graphics like rotating the desktop and being able to stretch and bounce the windows. Not something I *need* but it is fun :)

And unlike my FreeSpire install on my laptop it has no problem mounting the NTFS (windows filesystem). It picked up my Segate 1Tb, Iomega and WD external harddrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 egrama

I have something like 10 years experience working as an UNIX admin. I would recommend Ubuntu for a newbie. Fedora and Suse are also nice, but I find Ubuntu to have a lot of support on Internet forums and this is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭John The Bad

I haven't read all the pages on this thread so I don't know if I am repeating someone here. I think Linux Mint is an excellent distro for a newcomer to linux. It's based on the latest Ubuntu release but comes with all codecs re-installed (e.g. youTube will work out of the box).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I haven't read all the pages on this thread so I don't know if I am repeating someone here. I think Linux Mint is an excellent distro for a newcomer to linux. It's based on the latest Ubuntu release but comes with all codecs re-installed (e.g. youTube will work out of the box).

Look two posts up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭John The Bad

jaqian wrote: »
    Look two posts up :)

Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

total linux dummy here so would ye reccommend linux mint or ubuntu? or maybe some other version/release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The only problem with Ubunutu is that it comes without mp3 and video codes and stuff like that. Mp3 codecs are fine to get; onece you put mp3 files into your music library on Rythymbox it will download and install them for you. Video codecs are a little trickier.

Ive never tried Linux Mint, but Ive been meaning to, so tomorrow Ill boot it up and I will be able to compare fully.

Either way, Ubuntu/Linux is the way to go. Theres no turning back :cool:

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    total linux dummy here so would ye reccommend linux mint or ubuntu? or maybe some other version/release?

PCLinuxOS
    Mepis
    LinuxMint

would be the three i would suggest you try out and then pick whichever takes your fancy.

It is all Linux so underneath there is little difference.

Advertisement