Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Hax0r TV show

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bedlam wrote: »
    Apparently I am showing my age and the yearly "defcon has been cancelled" joke is all but forgotten.

Nope. It's a staple. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Blowfish wrote: »
    Nope, first time.

Get there really early for registration. Last year i started queuing at 8am got my ticket around 1pm. 5 hours of queuing.

I'll be there from 5 this year.

Edit: Bring a few bottles of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Would love to be going , Buddy is off over . Might try for next year . :-(.

Ye the show has dropped off after 4th ep - its getting hazey and not too sure
    if Slater's character is in his head or real, then one scene he sees one of the hacker group in his gaff and she stands and tells the other girl to hold up and move along as they have important stuff to talk about . IS it only Flip thats ment to be in his head induced from paranoia and too much fun biscuits

I cant find Fsociety on any efnet servers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

First ep was fecking brilliant, the problem with that is that it can only go downhill.

Or off a Cliff....
    11794212_10155879717790611_1420070799866066704_o.jpg

Which is where it's ratings are continuing to go. Ep 6 lowest yet I wonder will they roll back on renewing it??

Not surprised after Ep4. Haven't went back to it after that yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Great start, turning into absolute nonsense now.
    Hacking a prison (even if it was possible) in that time frame !!! Ridiculous. The creator has gone to great pains to demonstrate authenticity with the technical side of the show but this was just plain dumb.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Which is where it's ratings are continuing to go. Ep 6 lowest yet I wonder will they roll back on renewing it??

Not surprised after Ep4. Haven't went back to it after that yet.

Ah I'm still really enjoying it. You have to suspend disbelief a bit for these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

One thing that really annoys me about the show is the way they film certain scenes with a off-character viewpoint. Probably the worst time they did it was this:

vlcsnap_2015_08_07_15h24m27s353.png

Next thing you know, you won't be able to see characters at all, you'll just be staring at the ceiling, listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

"Where Is My Mind" instrumental - same song used at the closing scene of Fight Club.

Well last nights Ep was kinda , well , amm you need to see it i guess as the weirdness pretty much comes to an end.

• Advertisement

CSI cyber is good show.

Season 1 has a few obvious problems but by second EP of season 2 they've fixed 'em all - this is getting very good. It's covering good stuff - they had a phone gyro picking up vibrations from someone typing in 1 EP. Thread on here about that before.

Give it a look. Far far better than that Mr Robot sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

CSI cyber is good show.

Season 1 has a few obvious problems but by second EP of season 2 they've fixed 'em all - this is getting very good. It's covering good stuff - they had a phone gyro picking up vibrations from someone typing in 1 EP. Thread on here about that before.

You've got the shows mixed up i think...

Had to stop watching CSI after they'd an IP address of 971.634.121.122 or similarly ridiculous :pac:

???

You must not watch anything with a phone number dialled or read out so?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

timmywex wrote: »
    CSI cyber is good show.

You've got the shows mixed up i think...

Had to stop watching CSI after they'd an IP address of 971.634.121.122 or similarly ridiculous :pac:
    They must think its an IPv6 address :unsure:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

neonman wrote: »
    They must think its an IPv6 address :unsure:

Then it wouldnt be periods, it would be colons.

The reason for the invalid IP is very simple. If they put a valid IP address on screen, some eejit will point a port scanner at it. As Tombstone points out, phone numbers in America don't actually contain 555 in the middle.Thats done for the same reason, because if they put a valid telephone number, people would call it.

I was watching Law and Order SVU the other night and Benson called out her direct line number to someone. Funnily enough it was exactly the same number as was on the business card given to Deadpool in the movie Deadpool. It was 555-0199.

From wikipedia:
    "777-9311" by The Time used Dez Dickerson's actual telephone number at the time the song was written, causing his phone to ring off the hook until he had his number changed.

How sad would you have to be to dial a valid number from a song? Pretty sad but those people are out there. If they included valid IP addresses in Mr Robot or CSI Cyber for that matter, some "Im so l33t coz I downloaded nmap", would scan or connect to that IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'm basing my opinion on CSI Cyber from this scene.... and it doesn't fill me with confidence...

Prepare for cringe.

Mr Robot on the other hand is a very gritty and well researched tech-thriller (as far as my IT knowledge goes). It doesn't glorify hackers or have stupid GUI's. I like that it features Social Engineering (Kevin Mitnick. Ghost in the Wires is a good book on him!).

Saying that though, haven't finished the series yet. As mentioned previously some of the obscure camera angles, while put there to alienate the characters, are annoying and beginning to become pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

syklops wrote: »
    How sad would you have to be to dial a valid number from a song? Pretty sad but those people are out there. If they included valid IP addresses in Mr Robot or CSI Cyber for that matter, some "Im so l33t coz I downloaded nmap", would scan or connect to that IP.
    I've always wished that some writer in a TV show would stick in a known NSA/FBI/US Mil IP address to troll skiddies.

Advertisement