Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Learning To Play The Guitar Hard?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

marco_polo wrote: »
    There is quite a bit of moderately complex chord theory behind it but for beginner purposes, as you move up the fret board each cord shape becomes a different chord. The chart in the link shows what happen as you use the C chord on different steps. In simple terms every two frets the same chord shape moves up one step. C to D, D to E and so on, so there are many ways to play a chord.

http://www.irishmusicdaily.com/key-converter-capo-chord-charts

OK, now I understand thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lazerwolf

I don't know about banjos or rebel song or Irish traditional ballads. However, you can get a cheap guitar for about $50. I would recommend getting a more expensive one, though. You could get a decent used one for $100-$200. Guitar is not hard to learn if you just want to strum chords and you are playing simple tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ninja_pat

I started guitar myself about a year ago with no experience of instruments, except from playing uke for a few months. I would highly recommend justinguitar.com. At the time I bought the guitar in opus (Cork) the shopkeeper recommended Justin's book, which REALLY helped getting started. The website include the same content of the book and its FREE. I have been using it and have gone from total newbie to being comfortable strumming and finger picking. It can be challenging at times, but if you put in the work (and the site really helps to get you into a structured routine), you will get massive benefits relatively quickly. If in doubt, just give me a shout, I'm more than happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

ninja_pat wrote: »
    I started guitar myself about a year ago with no experience of instruments, except from playing uke for a few months. I would highly recommend justinguitar.com. At the time I bought the guitar in opus (Cork) the shopkeeper recommended Justin's book, which REALLY helped getting started. The website include the same content of the book and its FREE. I have been using it and have gone from total newbie to being comfortable strumming and finger picking. It can be challenging at times, but if you put in the work (and the site really helps to get you into a structured routine), you will get massive benefits relatively quickly. If in doubt, just give me a shout, I'm more than happy to help.

Great, thank-you :)! I will definitely give it a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Jamplay.com is another great resource that I'd recommend. If you sign up for a free trial it gives you unlimited access to a few different lessons. There's a 10 hour beginner acoustic course by Steve Eulberg that covers everything you need to know. Justinguitar is good too, along with Marty Schwartz, another youtube teacher.

Here's a direct link to the course once you register -> http://members.jamplay.com/guitar/phase-1/series/1-basic-guitar-with-steve-eulberg

While I believe it's entirely possible to learn online without a teacher, if you don't have the right foundation it can leave you with knowledge gaps that end up holding you back as they can be hard to identify in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement