Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Positive Golf Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

We have a family golf event, stableford singles, which has been played every June bank holiday weekend for the last 10 years, where my Nan and her sisters are remembered. Anyone in the extended family who plays golf can play or extend an invite to others. The 'field' is usually 15-20 on average. The winner receives a beautiful silver cup and has their name engraved each year.

I won it in 2010 (my first 'Major' :o) and again last year (that all important ''2nd Major'').

I feel like a hat-trick and a successful defence is not out of the question on current form :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

1st cut of the season today got .6 bck for my 6th place finish with 38pts yesterday. Cant wait for captains day 2moro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Played my best round of golf for over a year today but somehow managed to leave my 8 iron on the course (Black Bush) but I feel someone will hand it to the club tomorrow

Was ringing the club for a week and nobody had handed it in, was back playing the same course yesterday and asked in the pro shop and someone just handed it in mid week, they had taken it home with them and forgot it was in their bag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Went onto the practice green before my round on Saturday and couldn't putt a thing. Tried a 10 foot putt and left it 5 foot short. Tried a bunch of short 2 foot putts, and lost count of how many i missed. Even thought of not bothering to play, but went out anyway. Managed to make a couple of 5/6 footers on the first and second and ended up having a great day on the green! Got cut 1.2 down, first cut this year, and down to 13!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

7 or 8 rounds of golf in 25☀️for the next 3 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

soundsham wrote: »
    7 or 8 rounds of golf in 25☀️for the next 3 weeks

How or where ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

When all around you seems at its darkness (7 pts on the front 9) the dawn (17th on the back 9) is just around the corner, and qualification to the captains prize is still possible (by 1 shot).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Positively delighted to get around Glasson this afternoon without bad rain in 3hrs 5 minutes (2ball) and level with my handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Went onto the practice green before my round on Saturday and couldn't putt a thing. Tried a 10 foot putt and left it 5 foot short. Tried a bunch of short 2 foot putts, and lost count of how many i missed. Even thought of not bothering to play, but went out anyway. Managed to make a couple of 5/6 footers on the first and second and ended up having a great day on the green! Got cut 1.2 down, first cut this year, and down to 13!

Interesting, was listening to the lads on Sky talk about the impact of warming up before a round. Coltard was adamant that you are better off not assigning any relevance to it, just use it for warming up the body.

If you do attach significance to how well you hit the ball during warmup then if you warm up well you might be fooled into going for shots you really shouldnt. Conversely if you warm up badly you will be fearful and lacking in confidence for the upcoming round.

Anyway, the putting green is always totally different than the rest of the course...thats what I blame anyway.

Oh and positive aspect...I fixed my Golf Buddy World last night. Wouldnt work unless plugged in. Took it apart and the batter connector (little plug) had just popped out. Saved myself a few bob. (Was horrible playing without it last week!)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Usually, my putting isn't the best part of my game anyway but I've never putted that bad before. My warmup usually starts with me full of confidence, then throw in a few 3 putts and then get back to my normal putting, but this time I just never did anything of any good before I hit the first green. And conversely, never putted so well on the course.

I've decided to blame the fact it was 6:30 in the morning and apart from the green keeper out on the course, there was no one else around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

How or where ?

Spain

Half way through now
    touching 34☀️☀️ for first few rounds tomorrow looks like 30☀️ @ Real Club de Golf Campoamor

Sounds like it can be done at home now too

Looks like the big show in the real capital this weekend is going to be a winner all round
    A great positive for Irish Golf

COMON SHANE !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

10 days of no rain and none on the horizon means the rough has to die back soon, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

10 days of no rain and none on the horizon means the rough has to die back soon, doesn't it?

Ha!! You'd think!!

Looking forward to playing a few holes tomorrow. Went to the range at the club yesterday for a sneaky hour. The heat was blistering and I had a great time. However, I had to make up some stories about how I got such a colour when I was supposed to be working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

I took up Golf Last month - Hovering around the 100 mark for a full round. By the year end I will be around the 90 mark and will join a club!

What a game!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Read a good tip last night, there was a name on it something like "positive projection" or likewise. Basically it's telling yourself that the club you have in your hand was once owned by one of the best in the game.
    A driver could've been once owned by Rory or wedge by Phil. My putter once belonged to Tiger, gonna hit <30 putts this weekend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Read a good tip last night, there was a name on it something like "positive projection" or likewise. Basically it's telling yourself that the club you have in your hand was once owned by one of the best in the game.
    A driver could've been once owned by Rory or wedge by Phil. My putter once belonged to Tiger, gonna hit <30 putts this weekend :-)

Can picture it now Slice, you'll be in a huff walking off the tee box, complaining about your back on the green and telling your playing partners to buy Eircom shares as you walk to the next tee :);)

The first hole with new putter - 12 footer - Birdie. (lol) mad game.

After so long with a fatso - so strange to feel putts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Forecast temps for next weekend is double digits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

My golf course closed, I may never bother playing again..

oh, wrong thread...

but my motivation is genuinely low.

The wind this winter has been fun - (lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    My golf course closed, I may never bother playing again..

oh, wrong thread...

but my motivation is genuinely low.

What course?

Hit my first few golf balls today since last saturday. The positive bit was that I managed to hit them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

The first hole with new putter - 12 footer - Birdie. (lol) mad game.

After so long with a fatso - so strange to feel putts.

Ditto.

From a 5.0 to regular grip, can feel the good strikes so much better, bad ones straight away also as opposed to wondering what really happened to miss that 2 footer.

Well that was the last throw of winter today.

Stunning golf weather all the way now.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

I love golf,
    I love putting.

For this week

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

It's official. I got the shanks last October and I've played three rounds without hitting one shank. So I can rejoice they are gone. They are soul destroying. Roll on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

yettie1701 wrote: »
    It's official. I got the shanks last October and I've played three rounds without hitting one shank. So I can rejoice they are gone. They are soul destroying. Roll on the weekend.

Brave man for even writing the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Started a thread in the golf forum 6-8 months back querying what club should I get to make up for the gap between a 60* wedge and a PW. Ended up getting a 54* wedge & its my favorite club now. Im after sticking a few within 4 or 5 foot lately and never miss by too far with it. It's a great feeling to have so much confidence with a club, next step is to get the Driver back straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Played round 3 of the Father & Son at my home club last night. We won on the 20th and we're through to the semi-finals. We won round 1 on the 20th and round 2 on the 22nd. All three matches started at 5.30pm so we were finishing in the dark every match.

My dad, age 84, did what he did best: dug us out of a hole. Sank a 40 footer for birdie - with about 3 feet of swing - when our opponents only had 4 feet for theirs. They missed by a mile after dad's rattled in. That was on 14 and he was grinning the rest of the round.

Nice one Kevin,

I played lots of golf with my father - but never in a "Father and Son". We would have loved it.

So maybe with my own son.

There is something special about a father son relationship when they work well - impossible to even explain. I still talk to my dad about my golf. He doesn't play at this stage.

Best of luck. Your Dad is a bandit (Lol) - That is a positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Continuing the father and son theme.

Father had a 69 nett this afternoon in our captains prize off 23. Score should be good enough to make the 9 hole playoff tomorrow evening. It will be his first time in the playoff and he has been a member of the club for 39 years!!!!

Hopefully I'll shoot a similar score tomorrow and join him in the playoff.

Advertisement