Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

• 19-04-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

So it looks like there are two rugby games being released to coincide with the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

Firstly, there is Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game, which is more or less the successor to the EA Rugby series of games, except this time without EA Games as a publisher (it's 505 Games publishing HB Studios' game). It allows you play as the 20 competing teams in the RWC, and if it is anything like its spiritual predecessors, it will more than likely have other licences available also (e.g.: Tri Nations, Six Nations, Guinness Premiership etc.). There are plans for downloadable content, apparently with a view to capitalising on Sevens rugby in London 2012.

Next up is the successor to Jonah Lomu Rugby, Rugby Challenge. This seems to be a much more customisable game, with details such as what strapping, gumshield, boots etc. the players wear accurately represented, not to mention left or right footed kickers, kicking styles etc.

Not quite the FIFA versus Pro Evolution Soccer argument, seeing as neither games will have universal licencing rights (quite tricky to obtain anyway in rugby apparently), but from a customisable and feature point of view, it would appear Rugby Challenge is the more packed game.

It would be class to have a version of Pro Evolution Soccer's Master League manager mode, but this seems unlikely in either game. Video refs too have been shoved far down the list of priorities, and the Kinect Haka Simulator rumour should be firmly discounted seeing as it was released on April 1st...

So, which game does it for you? Any features you'd love to see appear in a rugby game, or do you think they're simply a waste of money?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I was extremely disappointed when I heard HB were only making a WC game. I was looking forward to more customization, creating a team and picking my fav players. But it is understandable seeing as they don't have the backing of EA.

The Challenge game from what I've seen has great visuals, but it seems mainly super15 orientated. I'll still buy both.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

I love the giant banner on that Rugby Challenge site... "Kiwis can win Rugby Challenge"

As in, at least they can win this, even if they can never win a world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would say I will end up buying both. I hope they are good, but I can't see them being as enjoyable as Jonah Lomu rugby (which I was only playing last night :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

I'd love a Be-a-Pro mode, think it'd be unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I know it's a recession, but I've been waiting years for a new rugby game so it'll be both for me I think. :D

• Advertisement

It'd be class if they had a penalty competition after extra time...

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Not on the PC... the prigs!

Diom wrote: »
    Not on the PC... the prigs!

Rugby Challenge is, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

BDJW wrote: »
    I would say I will end up buying both. I hope they are good, but I can't see them being as enjoyable as Jonah Lomu rugby (which I was only playing last night :D)

One day someone will knock Jonah Lomu rugby off it's pedestal. One day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Maybe they should start making a 7's rugby game. Its simplier to make and fast paced etc. When they start perfecting that then move on to 15 a side.

• Advertisement

profitius wrote: »
    Maybe they should start making a 7's rugby game. Its simplier to make and fast paced etc. When they start perfecting that then move on to 15 a side.

I believe the Rugby Challenge game is supporting DLC, with a view to incorporating Sevens in time for London 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I believe the Rugby Challenge game is supporting DLC, with a view to incorporating Sevens in time for London 2012?

if your talking about the olympics, rugby wont be in it until 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I think this is going to be a case of dipping the toe in the water (similar to F1 2010). The games may show promise, but will ultimately be flawed. Perhaps the 2012 editions will get rid of bugs, etc and smooth out the gameplay.

Going to keep the fingers crossed and hope for the best. Will give both a go. Hopefully there's a demo.....

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

In the meantime I would recommend downloading a PS1 emulator, it's BIOS, Jonah Lomu Rugby Rom and hooking up a controller to your PC. The nostalgia brings tears to the eyes! "That one will have snow on it when it comes down"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I played Rugby 2006 on the PS2 to death.

Then again, I was young and naive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Rugby 08 is still a pretty decent game, theres an active mod community which keeps rosters and kits fairly up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I would have thought there wold be an ongoing series of a league game. Surely it woudl be much easier to make with no Lineouts, Mauls, Rucks and scrums (contested) and if it was the only game available would probably be boght by union fans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

might buy the 2 of them. Hopefully one of them will have Full licenses for The Celtic League, Heinken Cup, Challenge Cup etc.

Id say the HB studios would be the better game for Northern Hemisphere rugby licenses competitions etc.

Wonder what Irish Stadiums will be in it. More than likely Aviva Statium, Thomond Park and Ravenhill doubt the Showgrounds, RDS or Croke Park will be in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I would have thought there wold be an ongoing series of a league game. Surely it woudl be much easier to make with no Lineouts, Mauls, Rucks and scrums (contested) and if it was the only game available would probably be boght by union fans too.

Eh not sure if serious cause that's pretty much exactly what Sidhe has done/doing.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    might buy the 2 of them. Hopefully one of them will have Full licenses for The Celtic League, Heinken Cup, Challenge Cup etc.

Id say the HB studios would be the better game for Northern Hemisphere rugby licenses competitions etc.

Wonder what Irish Stadiums will be in it. More than likely Aviva Statium, Thomond Park and Ravenhill doubt the Showgrounds, RDS or Croke Park will be in it.

HB so far are only doing the World Cup and it looks to me like it's going to be more like Rugby Challenge with no license player names (Since Sidhe have the ONLY All Blacks License). HB probably won't have anything other the the World Cup features.

According to Justin he saw Sidhe (i think) submitting forms to get Irish players likeness for their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I'll buy any rugby game for the xbox! We've been waiting so long to play rugby on live.

Edit: Anyone have any idea of release dates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

In the meantime I would recommend downloading a PS1 emulator, it's BIOS, Jonah Lomu Rugby Rom and hooking up a controller to your PC. The nostalgia brings tears to the eyes! "That one will have snow on it when it comes down"

Any recommendations for emulator?

Nevermind, got it going. That plus my xbox 360 controller mean savage Lomu experience. BOOM!

Just looking throught the forums there, and saw this from one of the developers of the Rugby Challenge game when he was asked to compare his game with the HB Studios one:
    Little is known about HB Studios game. What they have stated recently on their game is there will be no manager/franchise mode, no sevens mode, goal kicking similar to previous games, gameplay sliders are unlikely, only limited customisation, and it is only coming to PS3 and 360 and not PC. They have not confirmed or commented on online multiplayer. Rugby Challenge has a franchise mode, has extensive customisation, has gameplay sliders and modifiers, has online multiplayer, and is coming to PC. Also, whatever licenses we have announced so far for Rugby Challenge will not appear in their game.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Looks like Rugby Challenge will have at least some European teams, whether that means national or club teams, I don't know. They announced it on their official twitter feed:
    yes, there will be officially licensed European teams in #rugbychallenge

ajeffares wrote: »
    I'll buy any rugby game for the xbox! We've been waiting so long to play rugby on live.

Edit: Anyone have any idea of release dates?

August 26th for the HB Studios game, and there're rumours saying the Rugby Challenge game will be out near the end of July...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Did I miss something here - is there mention of future games? I saw a few posters mention it.

I would love a new rugby game every year but one of these two games is going to have to be really successful for that to start happening. We're lucky to get one game every couple of years around the world cup and none have stood up to the fabled Jonah Lomu game.

I hope they start doing one every year. Would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

Thank god one of them is coming to the PC at least, I've been stuck on Rugby 08 for years...

Teferi wrote: »
    Did I miss something here - is there mention of future games? I saw a few posters mention it.

I would love a new rugby game every year but one of these two games is going to have to be really successful for that to start happening. We're lucky to get one game every couple of years around the world cup and none have stood up to the fabled Jonah Lomu game.

I hope they start doing one every year. Would be awesome.

It really would. According to HB Studios, from their experience with EA, a FIFA game would outsell a rugby one by twenty to one, even in a RWC year... Still though, at least with both games it appears customisation would allow you stay current with transfers and jerseys and the like. More so Rugby Challenge it would appear though...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

Probaly buy both
    I always thought a new rugby management game wud sell well

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

I always thought a new rugby management game wud sell well

Exactly what I was going to say!

I'd seriously like a rugby management game based on the likes of Championship Manager etc. Even though that was for knackerball, it's still the most addictive game I've ever played.

But perhaps with the tactics / set pieces / back line moves etc, rugby would be just too technical a spot to encapsulate properly into such a format?

You'd have to program the referees to make insanely stupid mistakes about 40% of the time, too...

• Advertisement

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Exactly what I was going to say!

I'd seriously like a rugby management game based on the likes of Championship Manager etc. Even though that was for knackerball, it's still the most addictive game I've ever played.

But perhaps with the tactics / set pieces / back line moves etc, rugby would be just too technical a spot to encapsulate properly into such a format?

You'd have to program the referees to make insanely stupid mistakes about 40% of the time, too...

Apparently they are looking at putting in dynamic linesmen, and a ref counting as a physical presence, not just a ghost-like player!

Advertisement