Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

God that's tough then spottybananas. Sounds like you have identified the issue and there's no easy answer. Would you talk to your PHN for advice? If she's no good then a different PHN? My PHN is not one of the terrible ones and she told me one of the best things you can do is to teach your baby to self-soothe. That involves crying though. My baby wakes 3 times so I haven't needed to do it yet.

Would you read some sleep books for ideas? I've learnt a lot from them.
    No cry sleep solution is v gentle but takes a while with gradual improvements along the way.
    The baby whisperer solves all your problems involves letting baby cry/soothe himself to sleep while you stay in the room with him.

One more thing-try and try to get him to take long daytime naps-babies sleep better at night when they have good naps.

Other people say to wait it out. That's ok if your baby is always waking for hunger/discomfort etc but if it's just habit, I think gentle sleep training is ok but everyone's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Spotty the only way my girl would stay asleep was on her tummy. I tried everything and at the start I just let her sleep on my chest as she would not sleep any other way. I spoke to my neighbour who is a paediatric nurse on baby ward and she said that some babies just need to sleep that way. I have the angel care monitor. Tilted the mattress as she was quite windy tooand we never looked back. I also spoke to my gp because I was very nervous. She also said once no one is smoking around the baby, the mattress is new and we have the monitor with the sensor to go for it. I have since discovered so many people whose babies are the same. My girl just constantly startled lying on her back and she went nuts if I tried to swaddle her. It might be something you could discuss with your phn. Just sharing what worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I asked phn on Friday and she had no advice, might try another. I've read one book that my sil gave me can't remember which now, but whatever it said didn't help, again I can't remember right now. I always swaddle him because he loves it, still wakes after the 2 hours though, he wouldn't sleep at all if I didn't swaddle him.

He goes ballistic if you put him on his stomach anywhere other than on your chest and there's just no way I can sleep with him like that when I need to be alert for work because I don't sleep if he's on me. I try to get him to nap well during the day, he naps a lot but again he often jolts awake and that's the end of it. This is what i find so tough, everything I try fails.

Will pick up a book or two today maybe, and maybe need to toughen up for a few mins of crying. I watched him on monitor last night when he woke an hour into sleep and started crying, buy my husband came over and basically said he couldn't let him cry and made out like was a horrible person if I could listen to it :( Sure the last thing anyone wants is to listen to their baby cry and do nothing.

He doesn't even fall asleep in the car, maybe he just isn't a sleeper! My mum gets about 4-5hours sleep a night, she wakes every couple of hours too, if he gets this from her she can move in and do nights seeing as they are so well met!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Aveen wrote: »
    My milk supply didn't really come in ( I only had cream watery liquid when I expressed, again on the advice of a midwife).
    That's what breastmilk looks like!
    spoke to someone who told me, women post sections shouldnt be encourage to bf but our body's are going though enough. Please tell me it can be do and I just was poorly ready with my DS.
    I find that a rather undermining comment. Definitely can be done, you might just prefer some positions over others for a while, e.g. rugby ball, side-lying rather than cross cradle
    Thanks ladies, feeling that I was very unprepared for bf my first 😳😔, is the any books that I could read to help prepare myself better for number two?
    Nothing better than The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Womanly-Breastfeeding-Leche-League-International/dp/1905177402
    It's a big book, but very readable and easy to dip into.

Avoid any books that are written by nannies. They can only give advice about how to feed other people's babies (i.e. by bottle) and often give terrible advice about breastfeeding, e.g. Gina Ford, Jo Frost, Baby Whisperer can undermine breastfeeding

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Baby Whisperer is actually the worst advice ever for bf babies. That book needs to be burned. I've never read such absolute rubbish advice when it comes to bf. All that woman does is push formula - she's so blatantly anti-bf.

Oh ya I would ignore anything the Baby Whisperer says about breastfeeding. And she can be v strict about routines. But I find what she says about sleep useful.

Spottybananas just thinking your baby is going down sleepy, would it help if you could put him down awake? Then if he fully wakes at night he might fall back asleep if nothing else is wrong with him?

Also read up on tips for making naps longer. You say he naps a lot. Maybe he should take less naps, with naps lasting a longer time but with more time between each nap. Let enough time pass so he is tired enough for a long sleep?

I know what you mean about everything you try failing. That's why some people say to wait it out, you might get less frustrated.

I had a different sleep problem. Baby would only nap 40 mins at a time and was tired and books helped me so now he sometimes naps 1.5 or 2 hours. Other times he doesn't and those days he's in bad form so still frustrating.

He barely slept at all today then just to change it up :rolleyes: As a first time parent you obviously don't know what's normal and what isn't, but even my mum says that they way he wakes isn't "normal", he never wakes gently, 90% of the time day and night he wakes crying, and proper upset crying, not just a little moan or whinge. So when that's your starting point soothing him is a total battle. He just screamed and cried for the bones of 30 minutes while my husband walked around with him, he finally got him to sleep with Chandler-esque hug and roll. All he did today when I held him was scream, I'm not popular today apparently :(

I guess this problem isn't related so much to breastfeeding, other than in bad moments when I think maybe switching to formula would make him sleep longer, but that just sounds like drugging :( So I won't take up this thread with it any more. I'll post back if we manage to sort it, thanks for your time and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Grrrr very cross hearing the advice for c section mammies. I fed both of mine post section and I'm still.feeding my second nearly two years on. It is tricky but feeding lying down is easier and you need to relax and take it easy so ideal for post section mammies to take to the bed and relax.

Good luck spottybananas. Hope a sleep book helps, if nothing else they all have various facts on sleep which is good for knowing whats normal. One thing I read is that if baby wakes crying they're still tired and need to go back to sleep, but maybe don't know how. If they wake cooing and talking they've probably got enough sleep. I only read that when my baby was 8 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Spotty, if your baby was screaming all day today while holding him then there may be something else going on with him. Could his belly be sore, trapped wind, temperature, etc? With teething, my baby just needs lots of cuddles and the boob so I do just that.

How do you bf - as in what position? Can you just take to the bed with him and feed lying down side by side? He'll fall asleep that way because he'll be at his happy place (the boob) snuggled up to his mammy so will feel safe. Then once he's asleep transfer him to his cot. If he wakes up and is inconsolable, repeat. After a while, he may sleep longer on his own. Forget about stressing about naps also for now - the long sleep at night is more important. It also sounds like he's reversed his day and night so just offer the boob every 2 hours or so for now during the day and see if that helps with the night.

16w is still very small though and regular night feeding isn't unusual. And also a 16w old is very young to be able to self-soothe - I doubt many babies can self-soothe at that age, they just want their mammy!

Formula isn't the magic solution either - I've heard of people trying that and baby still doesn't sleep. It also may upset his tummy.

He did have wind but we got it up, temp is ok, teeth hurting on and off but when he was screaming it didn't seem related to that, usually when it's teeth something to chew on and he's happy out...so far :)

I normally bf in cradle hold, it's all I could do in scbu and he's a funny baby, so rigid in what he knows and hates change. It's taken me ages to get him to like feeding lying beside me but we do that when we cosleep now.

I wouldn't mind feeding him in bed before sleep but putting him down first is usually fine, it's the constant waking through the night that's difficult to get him down after. I can't/don't want to feed him back to sleep every hour because there is no way he's hungry that frequently, I can't maintain that level of comfort feeding when I need to be up for work.

So far tonight he woke twice since we got him to sleep at 8.30-9 and after a few tears and crying I got him back down to sleep without swaddling, just cuddles, so that's something. I pumped then when his 10pm feed was due, I'll pump again tomorrow and have enough to sleep through a feed tomorrow night. Husband away from 7am to 11 pm tomorrow :(

Thanks tinker bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

spottybananas if you put a second mattress on the cotbed would it bring it up to your bed level?

bobskii wrote: »
    spottybananas if you put a second mattress on the cotbed would it bring it up to your bed level?

A second mattress would still leave it low and be €50+. We took apart the cotbed after hours trying different things andnow have it in it's toddler bed format, with it between bed and wall and loadsa stuff under the mattress. Its still low but not too bad. He woke now so I fed him and he went off to sleep with no dummy or swaddle or cuddles, panned out beside me now. Will see how tonight goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Spottybananas, sometimes they will not sleep without mammy. Especially breastfeeding. Side by Side, all night, is how some babies settle. It's only a short time in the scheme of things and if he sleeps it's worth discarding the cot for now. Sleep is more important than routine. And if you get the odd hour or two for grown up closeness.. then hurrah.. But sleep when you can :)
    Keep us posted if only for a rant...

But he just was never really like that, it's apparently common with scbu babies because obviously they didnt get used to cosleeping, laying down feeding, feeding to sleep. Which suited me at the start tbh because i wouldnt be comfortable cosleeping with a tiny newborn, I had nightmares as it was with him in his cradle inches away that I'd fallen asleep holding him and that he was dead under the duvet :( (it was invariably a cushion supporting my scar and freaking tired me out)

Going well so far tonight, he's woken 3 times since 11.30 but hasn't cried much, when I've fed him or just comforted him it's all been ok. Am discovering he can settle himself with a few gentle repetitive thrashes once my hand is on his head and has realised he has tasty fingers when his dummy falls out. Won't count chickens yet but it seems having mommy touch for reassurance has left him able toexplore self soothing once mommy gave it a chance instead of instantly picking him up :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks ladies, feeling that I was very unprepared for bf my first 😳😔, is the any books that I could read to help prepare myself better for number two?
    Oh does a c section make it harder? I was advised that's the like case for me, as I don't progress after 3cm.

I had failure to progress - only dilated 1cm, so had a very hurried section. I breastfed for a year luckily without issue, so I think this perception that section mums cant feed is outdated. So many babies are born via section these days and so many babies are breastfed, I really don't think its true at all. But I think if you think a section is making it harder, then mentally it will make it more difficult if you know what I mean?

I read books, but to be honest, my best advice came from women who breastfed themselves - family members, friends and nursing staff. The hospital was very pro-breast, which was great, but the best advice I got on bf was a night-shift nurse in Neo who was from the gaeltacht, and sitting feeding the baby while she was doing her thing and chatting to her was very illuminating for me. She was the one who showed me how to stop hiccups, how to pull out the lower lip, and lots of just general tips and tricks. So I'd suggest meeting up with Cuidu /La Leche get-togethers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Have to agree Neyite. I went for lunch one day after my breast feeding support group with some of the girls. There were 6 of us in total and 5 (including me) had emergency c sections. All of us had managed to bf afterwards. The support group really helped us all. A couple of the babies had tongue tie or latch problems but that wasn't a problem with c sections. The biggest problem post c section is getting to the support group when you can't drive! I had to rely on a lift from family. It's handy to have numbers for the local support groups as they will often call out to you if you need them. I had a friends of breastfeeding buddy call to my house. We spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes one night too before she had time to call to my house. Having the number of a lactation consultant is worth it too in case you need them.

Aveen my son was born by emcs and I didn't get to even hold him let alone feed him until he was 30 hours old. I expressed colostrum the night he was born, "just" 5mls that I was told was plenty for a newborn and special care unit were delighted with it. Within 3 feeds/meetings/sittings whatever you want to call them he had latched on with the help of the scbu nurses and that was that. He's now 4 months old and doing great, he's a monster :) Feeding him was literally the only thing that went right in my prolonged hospital stay due to pre eclampsia and sustained high blood pressure.

There's a great fb page where you can get great bf advice, not sure if you can post links here so I won't but I can pm you the name if you like. The main thing is to understand that in the first few days you need to be firm with the staff that you want to bf, you don't want top ups, and to know that the first few days may be tough with continuous cluster feeding. I think midwives are mad to say ff would be easier after a section, lying around with baby on you feeding sounds much easier than having to faff with bottles and reach for baby and so on. It's awful that any woman has to fight her corner at such a vulnerable time with medical professionals.

Doing ok here. He still woke almost every hour, previous to this weekend it was every 2 hours so I think the hourly thing is related to leap. Managed to help him settle without feeding a few times so it was then 3 hours between feeds, and as a result at 5am he had the biggest feed I've ever managed to get him to take at night, both sides, he usually falls asleep after one in cradle hold but because he was beside me and hungrier he was more awake. Altogether he was in bed from 9pm to 8am, he woke at 6.30 for chats and giggles and nappy change with his dad but settled back to sleep again with no issues, snuggled up high beside me on the pillow.

He was much happier for longer this morning and I watched like a hawk for his first signs of tiredness, fed him again (upping daytime feeds) and helped him settle but didn't hold him, just shushed and held his head. I am spending today watching and learning and changing little things :) Thanks for all your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Aveen

Thanks a mill ladies, you've helped me loads with my guilt for not been sucessful at bf. ( still having teary days). I thought nurses where just helping by topping him up. Lactation nurse said I was flying because we'd a great latch. None of my friends or family bf, so no support to ask questions or keep me going ff all the way in my house. Can't believe I didn't know about this form.

Spottybanans sorry to hear you having a hard time, I ended up taking the dummy of my DS at 4months, he cried looking for so much at night (all I heard from family & friends was spoon feed, he's hungry but I knew he wasn't, drove me mad). He was using the dummy to comfort / suck like mad on and then try to get hands in at the same time. Loads of people thought I was mad but be honest best thing ever! He's great at self soothing, yes we have our bad days but nothing like before. His 7months now and still no dummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I topped up my first for a few reasons, one of which was sheer exhaustion and I was getting the blues big time, but I managed to breastfeed very well too and the combination meant I kept feeding until I was six months pregnant with number two. Second time around I was much more proactive and told the nurses that I didn't want to be bothered with weighing and monitoring feeding, that I had fed my first and I knew how to work on it myself. I fed around the clock which was tiring - I'll never forget that newborn exhaustion - but stayed in bed a lot and kept my older child with her minder.

I probably would have used a bottle or two after a few weeks in hindsight as my second never took to them and I was tearing my hair out until I went with their needs and relaxed more. As I said, I'm still BF and he's nearly two. Getting that good start post section second time worked for me and I made sure to get my husband on board with refusing any mention of formula. But I would not beat yourself up whatever happens. I had two different BF experiences and I quietly pat myself on the back for both of them. It was easier second time because I knew so many of the old wives tales about hungry babies and not having enough milk were not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

But he just was never really like that, it's apparently common with scbu babies because obviously they didnt get used to cosleeping, laying down feeding, feeding to sleep. Which suited me at the start tbh because i wouldnt be comfortable cosleeping with a tiny newborn, I had nightmares as it was with him in his cradle inches away that I'd fallen asleep holding him and that he was dead under the duvet :( (it was invariably a cushion supporting my scar and freaking tired me out)

Going well so far tonight, he's woken 3 times since 11.30 but hasn't cried much, when I've fed him or just comforted him it's all been ok. Am discovering he can settle himself with a few gentle repetitive thrashes once my hand is on his head and has realised he has tasty fingers when his dummy falls out. Won't count chickens yet but it seems having mommy touch for reassurance has left him able toexplore self soothing once mommy gave it a chance instead of instantly picking him up :)

It seems like your problem may be sleep habit issue. I found some useful tips in both Baby Whisperer and No Cry Solution, but as others have said their bf advice is questionable. You need to pick out what might work for you and your baby, but it takes time.
    Have you thought about contacting a baby sleep consultant? I met a sleep consultant at a bf week event last year, she was a phn aswell, not sure of costs.
    Going back to work is hard enough, I'm like a zombie in work if we've had a couple of sleepless nights.

Look after youself too,
    Goodluck

Thought I'd give a quick update to my previous miserable posts.

Since I posted I took some of the advice given here and read a bit here and there online. I knew I couldn't leave him cry (it has been said by MANY people that he has the saddest sad face ever, it's not just me being his Mom that makes it so tough apparently!), so I wanted to avoid that at all costs. We spent ages trying to get a decent cosleeping set up with his cotbed, we settled on it in its toddler bed format, shoved up against ours, with a chest of drawers at the "outside" of it and stuff under the mattress to bring it almost level with the bed.

I started to feed him more during the day, and he seems to be very taken with this idea. I feel like he never really fed for enjoyment or just for the sake of it, as in SCBU it was so regimented, and now he has stayed on me for up to an hour, feeding, smiling, "chatting", feeding a bit again, more smiles, it's lovely :) I then started by basically putting him to bed and staying with him but not picking him up, and running through everything I could think of until I found what helped him settle himself to sleep. I learned a lot about him doing this tbh. I learned that he is well able to sleep once he has my hand, he grips my forearm or rubs his face against my palm and it really calms him. He likes to gently thrash his head from side to side and it really soothes him. I also keep shushing, his eyes now roll in his head as soon as I start this sound :) For daytime naps I started swaddling him in his bouncer, bouncing, shushing, resting my hand on him, and within 2 days he was able to get himself to sleep for them.

Over the last few nights he has gone to bed at about 7.30-9, wakes 2 hours later for a feed, goes straight back to sleep and sleeps until 2.30am :) If he wakes before that I can comfort him slightly and he settles himself again. If he needs my hand I can just leave it there now with the new extra bed space. Then he sleeps until 5, then 6.30 and that's uppy time as far as he's concerned. For naps either a quick swaddle or just a quick cuddle is enough now.

I am like a new person. I think he's in better form too. We have a pretty rigid routine now all day and night, set by himself really, I just need to keep an eye for his tired cues and spend just a couple of minutes helping him settle sometimes. Just in time for me to start back to work, it's like he knew this was important! I'm self employed so am minding him and working at the same time, so naps and a happy rested baby (and mommy) are crucial.

Thanks so much for your advice and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

That's great to hear!! It's amazing what a bit of sleep can do for you all, I'll never forget my first full nights uninterrupted sleep!!

I don't know what I'll do with a full nights sleep whenever it happens! Sure the first two nights he did the 10-2.30 I either woke at 12.30 thinking he was dead or my body decided I had had pleeeenty of sleep and I lay awake from 5am onwards, not fair at all! I've made an effort to pump too so I'm currently fantasising about a night in the near future where I get like, 6 hours??

Edit: Also, one of the nights my husband got a call to shut off an alarm at work at 2am, came back at 4am, and baby woke every hour again. THAT was a bad night. The next day a nurse kept saying how tired I looked and asking why I looked so tired, thanks, helpful!

Delighted to hear that spotty!

Spoke too soon, of course!!

Last night he woke at 1 and 4, and at 4 husband was charged with changing his nappy, baby hates nappy and clothes changes so this always descends into screaming from him when my husband does it so slowly. This ended in a massive fight between the two of us at 4am, him storming off into the other bedroom (how convenient for him!!) and me being awake until 5.30 with the baby having a great time chatting to the ceiling and thrashing about. Awake again at 6.30, bribed him to sleep til 8 with cuddles. What a start to a long work day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Spotty do you have to change his nappy? Is he dirty? I stopped changing wet nappies when she stopped night feeds around 8 weeks. Obviously if she was dirty I would change but she's never had a dirty nappy at night. It really woke up my little one when we changed her in the middle of the night.

Spotty do you have to change his nappy? Is he dirty? I stopped changing wet nappies when she stopped night feeds around 8 weeks. Obviously if she was dirty I would change but she's never had a dirty nappy at night. It really woke up my little one when we changed her in the middle of the night.

Yes, he had to have his nappy changed. I don't change if it's just a bit wet either but he'd had this one on since before bed at 8 and it was completely soaked and heavy and was a bit dirty. He was dirtying his nappy every 2 hours day and night (with every feed) until he was 12 weeks old so we flew through nappies until then. And he hasn't stopped night feeds (which is my whole issue, it's still every 2-3 hours mostly) so he still needs them changed sometimes during the night. Usually he wakes at 6.30 for farts/with a dirty nappy but his routine was all off again last night. The screaming happens night and day with nappy and clothes changes, he calms again straight after so it doesn't usually keep him awake. It just drives me cracked when my husband takes an age to close some poppers and the screaming gets worse and worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 woodenwonder

My baby is 8 months old and still wakes every 2 hours for a feed. What to do? Is letting him cry the only option now. I work full time and have other children it's just exhausting. I feel like I'm not doing the best for my other children. He needs to sleep more. I'd be more than happy to feed him twice at night but 4/5 times is just exhausting!!
    Thanks in advance for replies

Advertisement