Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Issues

• 19-07-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone give me some advice on this... last year I basically had a mini nervous breakdown a lot of which had to do with where I was working and living. I was getting professional help all through this period but eventually after about 12 months of getting no better I had to leave my job and move home and try and recover. My GP and therapist agreed if this is what I had to do this is what I should do.

I did not claim any social welfare and lived off my savings for a while and my parents gave me some money. Basically I wasn't able to handle claming social welfare, the problem is I live in a real small town and the SW guy is a "local" so I would have to tell him about my problems and then my aunt who I didn't want to know is involved with SW claims too, I was just too emabarrased to go into my private life with them.

I've now got things back together and am back looking for work but I could really do with some money. Is there anyway I can claim without going to my local small town office? Like I said, I don't want to have to explain all of my problems to somebody I know.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

There's a state benefits section under 'biz' where you might get more details, but I don't think there should be any reason to go into details of why you left your previous job, could you just say you wanted a job change and leave it at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

sw_quation wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some advice on this... last year I basically had a mini nervous breakdown a lot of which had to do with where I was working and living. I was getting professional help all through this period but eventually after about 12 months of getting no better I had to leave my job and move home and try and recover. My GP and therapist agreed if this is what I had to do this is what I should do.

I did not claim any social welfare and lived off my savings for a while and my parents gave me some money. Basically I wasn't able to handle claming social welfare, the problem is I live in a real small town and the SW guy is a "local" so I would have to tell him about my problems and then my aunt who I didn't want to know is involved with SW claims too, I was just too emabarrased to go into my private life with them.

I've now got things back together and am back looking for work but I could really do with some money. Is there anyway I can claim without going to my local small town office? Like I said, I don't want to have to explain all of my problems to somebody I know.

Thanks for any help.

If that is the local office chances are that's where you will have to go.
    Just bring your birth cert, passport or driver's license, PPS number, ultility bill, bank statement, proof of address and fill the form out and hand it in.
    If you have been looking for work bring copies of applications you sent and replies you received. You'll probably be called in and they'll interview you about your circumstances.
    That's how they do it and you should be entitled to back money from when you were first unemployed until you began your claim.
    Lots of people are on social welfare.
    What have you to be ashamed about.
    If the "local" or your aunt hear about your problems so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭okiss

In regards to you sw man being a local he can't tell anyone your business as it is covered by data protection and the same would apply to your aunt.
    I know you don't like signing on but you just have to remember how much tax you paid in the past. Also by signing on your keeping your stamps up to date which is important for getting a state pension at a later date.
    I would tell the department of social welfare that you left your job due to stress after seeking your doctors medical advice and ask your doctor for a letter stating this. If social welfare have this you should not need to tell everyone your story. I would then explain that this is the reason you have not applied for welfare as yet but you are looking for a job and show them prof of this.
    It might take a while to get money but you should be back paid.
    Good Luck and just remember things will get better.

Advertisement