Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Automation

• 12-04-2014 4:17pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently looking at buying an apartment and will be doing some work on it before I move in. As part of the work I'd like to try and work in some sort of home automation system.

In terms of the audio in the apartment I'm thinking of getting some Sonos equipment to get multi room audio.

My knowledge of home automation is pretty basic in terms of the technology actually working in the background. However, I would like to be able to control heating, lighting etc... If the Sonos could be built into it, great.

Being able to do it remotely would be great.

So I'm looking for a couple of things -

Do any of you have any good links that would give me a better understanding of how the concept works?
    Who are the market leaders in terms of hardware?
    What companies have the best names in Dublin?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

No ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

what about "lutron"

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

What about 'KNX' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

If i was you and wanted something staightforward i would go with Vera. There are some Zwave sites in ireland were you can buy everything you need.

There is also a Sonos plug in so you should be able to get music playing with scenes etc.

Zwave is a wireless home automation protocol so you don't need to re-wire. Just plug i the router, install the switches and away you go. there are also some pretty good free apps for control with apple or android.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

I have a Sonos, it's great but I've not wired it and it's never been an issue;

I control my Sonos from phone or iPad - works great especially with the new update; not sure what you'd gain by "integrating" the whole thing -

Have you considered the Belkin home automation - simple but I'd guess a lot cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

bluesteel wrote: »
    I have a Sonos, it's great but I've not wired it and it's never been an issue;

I control my Sonos from phone or iPad - works great especially with the new update; not sure what you'd gain by "integrating" the whole thing -

Have you considered the Belkin home automation - simple but I'd guess a lot cheaper

Your talking about 200 euro for a vera lite. then plugs switches etc can be any zwave supported switch.

sonos can still be controlled stand alone but integrating allows you to create scenes which can include playing music dimming lights etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

DeeJunFan wrote: »
    Your talking about 200 euro for a vera lite. then plugs switches etc can be any zwave supported switch.

sonos can still be controlled stand alone but integrating allows you to create scenes which can include playing music dimming lights etc.

Yup, exactly!

Advertisement