Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

burgalur knocking on doors

• 31-12-2013 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I fear for my nan and granddad as a house on their road was robbed a few weeks ago, a traveller man was knocking on doors moments before the house was robbed the victim was an old lady. this man is knocking on doors of house with no cars in the garden in the hope the house is empty, my granda said the same bloke knocked yesterday and my granda never answered the door, he watched the man as he went into the gardens without cars in them. my granda is now planning on questioning the man next time he knocks asking him about the service he is offering ( gutter cleaning) my granda is planning on agreeing and getting the mans number ( making sure its the right number before the man leaves) and he plans on handing it over to the gardai, I don't think this is the right think to do the best bet is to wait till he sees him again knocking on doors and ring the gardai.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think it'd a good idea if there were more full stops and sentences in your post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Burgalurs are nothing to be worried about.

He's going to hand over the number to the Gardai...for what?

In case the Garda station needs the gutter cleaned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

To be honest I'd advise your grandad not to let him do any work on the house. If it is the guy you're looking for he might check out whatever valuables he has. You're better off telling him to let the gardai know he's doing the rounds if he sees him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

amdublin wrote: »
    I think it'd a good idea if there were more full stops and sentences in your post :(

Tbf it wasnt that hard to read. Stop fishing.

OP, if your grandad can handle himself then yeah get the number. If not, call the po-po.

To be honest I'd advise your grandad not to let him do any work on the house. If it is the guy you're looking for he might check out whatever valuables he has. You're better off telling him to let the garden know he's doing the rounds if he sees him again.

'Hey garden! Look at this cnut trying to rob me!'

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

yeah sorry bout that.
    well firstly he is thinking of tricking the fella into believing he wants the gutter done,
    It is the fella who broke into the other ladies house as he fits the description and the fella who broke in was a traveller.
    look I think the best think to do is just call the garda when he is seen again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Tbf it wasnt that hard to read. Stop fishing.

OP, if your grandad can handle himself then yeah get the number. If not, call the po-po.

It was a horrendous paragraph of text.

Who the hell calls the police/the guards the "po-po" :D Stop fishing.

Could get dangerous..best not entertaining them at all really. Just report it to the guards..let them do the footwork on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94

that's the think he can handle your man but I doubt he can handle all your mans family and friends to prosecute the fella you'd have to stand up in court. better if the gardai catch him in the act

coolock94 wrote: »

I think this is the best idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

*Knock Knock*
    How'yre? Got any stuff I can rob?
    Cheers.

Flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

coolock94 wrote: »
    yeah sorry bout that.
    well firstly he is thinking of tricking the fella into believing he wants the gutter done,
    It is the fella who broke into the other ladies house as he fits the description and the fella who broke in was a traveller.

What happens if he actually cleans the gutters for him. There'll be an awkward silence then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Waits for the bleeding hearts "what's the relevance of him being a traveller?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Op dont worry about fools annoying you about full stops ect , if it annoys them why read it ,go annoy somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Op dont worry about fools annoying you about full stops ect , if it annoys them why read it ,go annoy somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

Is he a French burgalure?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Clonsuttonlad

Travellers hate dogs, and love copper.

Act accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Waits for the bleeding hearts "what's the relevance of him being a traveller?" :rolleyes:

As a general rule they are scummier and have less respect for others than normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

amdublin wrote: »

amdublin.... I take it you'll be staying in tonight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

Blay wrote: »
    'Hey garden! Look at this cnut trying to rob me!'

:pac:

Damn predictive text. You caught me before the edit :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Bait him in, catch him, and watch him squirm.

kirb42 wrote: »
    amdublin.... I take it you'll be staying in tonight....

Yup. Reading.
    http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/854886-eats-shoots-leaves-the-zero-tolerance-approach-to-punctuation

You?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Mint Aero wrote: »

Let them figure out who stole all the full stops in OP's post. They'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

The problem is unless the gaurds catch him red handed there is very little they can do. If youre grandad does report him all he can say is that he seen him on the street around the time of the burgulary the gaurds cant really do anything about that. They could interview him but without evidence the dpp will refuse to take the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rachiee wrote: »
    The problem is unless the gaurds catch him red handed there is very little they can do. If youre grandad does report him all he can say is that he seen him on the street around the time of the burgulary the gaurds cant really do anything about that. They could interview him but without evidence the dpp will refuse to take the case.

Only way he will be caught red handed is if he agrees to paint his fence and uses red paint and is a messy painter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Even my mother better phone first or I don't answer the door. Doubt I've missed anybody handing me a million euro cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭user2012

Best advice I can give you is to get your grandfather to ring the guards the next time there's someone strange around or if he notices any unusual cars/ vans in the area. Take down the reg & ring it in.
    Also if your grandfather has any jewellery/ expensive items in the house I'd be getting it valued, take photos of it & notify the insurance company.
    If he's in the habit of keeping cash in the house make him get rid of it. If he's not a fan of banks then credit union or post office.
    Get sensor lights fitted, get an alarm too while your at it. Make sure all doors & windows are properly secured regardless of how small the opening is, even the small bathroom window left open is enough for some scumbags to gain entry.

What I listed might sound extreme but there's no point taking chances anymore. The way our justice system is run a repeat offender will most likely get a light slap on the wrist & is back out "cleaning gutters" before you know it.

Boils my blood that scumbags are getting away with this day in day out & they know if they spin a sob story of a difficult childhood/ broken home/ drink or drug addiction that they can walk away scot free.

Advertisement