Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South East Employment Action Plan

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    800 jobs to be announced in my office today. Government will try and claim the credit for it but our PR explicitly states that no government support or investment was needed :)

600 jobs Adam. :P Why didn't they locate to Waterford?! No doubt someone will be along shortly to ask this question, but ill ask anyway before them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

180 of the positions already filled :). The big building with tonnes of space that we just moved into 7 months a go probably would have one of the reasons why. Speaking of which, if there was a similar size company looking to move to Waterford, there's no office space available of significant size. Would I be right in saying that Government Buildings on the Glen would be the biggest modern office complex in the City... with the other Government Buildings opposite Morriss' being close behind?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

thomasm wrote: »

Existing company for the first phone, so it doesn't really count.

We have a Boots already in Waterford, a few IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Sully wrote: »
    Existing company for the first phone, so it doesn't really count.

We have a Boots already in Waterford, a few IIRC.

Not how I look at it, comapny was only set up in 2010 and are taking on more people. What moved it to open in Galway first.

As for Boots, mayby more stores would open here or more staff would be hired in the existing one(s) if the above jobs or some of the thousands that have gone to Galway in the last few years came here and increased demand

• Advertisement

Not how I look at it, comapny was only set up in 2010 and are taking on more people. What moved it to open in Galway first.

No idea, I don't know the details but I just thought it was unfair to knock the jobs announcement and complain that it should be in Waterford when it was a company expansion which would of course stay in Galway.
    As for Boots, mayby more stores would open here or more staff would be hired in the existing one(s) if the above jobs or some of the thousands that have gone to Galway in the last few years came here and increased demand

Boots have/are taking on Christmas Staff but they have a few stores already in Waterford. They wont open up stores just to create jobs - if there is demand, they will open.

Anyway, I think jobs were announced in Cork today. New Call Center business, stepping into fit for purpose buildings. Now there would be a question to ask; Why not Waterford? We have had and do have call centers here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Now there would be a question to ask; Why not Waterford?

I'm sure the European of the year could answer evade that question.

fricatus wrote: »
    For God's sake if they can get HP and Cisco to locate in Galway, why the hell can't they get companies of similar calibre to locate here? What differentiates the two areas? I suspect that the answer is very simple in this case, and it's a ten-letter word beginning with U. But if that's what it is, then Barry O'Leary should come out and say it, rather than hiding behind vague excuses.
    I realise the post I am responding to is a bit old but here is a bit of the history.

HP is descended from Digital in Galway.

Digital started straightforward assembly line work in Galway in the early 70s. Over time they added extra jobs and higher value work. When the assembly line was closed in the early 90's (a horrible time for Galway) the software work was kept. Digital was taken over by Compac who in turn were taken over by HP.

Northern Telecom (Nortel) set up in Digital's original IDA unit in the mid 70s assembling telephone handsets. Similarily they added higher value work over time and when the assembly line was axed when the dot com bubble burst the software and associated work was kept. The IDA had been trying to attract Cisco to Ireland for years but it was a man from Nortel who had transferred to California and moved jobs to Cisco who brought Cisco to Galway.

Following from the shutdown of the Digital assembly line Boston Scientific eventually moved into their old building in the mid 90s and along with a couple of other companies created a biomedical device industry.

From memory GMIT was quicker off the mark with biomedical courses than the university but the university is important.

Galway didn't have any industry to speak of before the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will this thread never die!? :pac:

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Will this thread never die!? :pac:

Not as long as there are job announcements seemingly like clockwork going to Galway, and nothing at all coming here. :mad:

And certainly not while fricatus is on de net!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

This is the results of a google search of job announcments in Galway for this year

115 in Cisco
    220 in Mylan
    200 in Merit Medical
    37 in Copperfasten
    150 in HP
    220 in Aviva
    15 in Grant Thornton
    300 in EA Games

1257 so far with a quick search and throw in the knock on employment that will create also. Great there are jobs being created but it seems loaded in one counties favour

The List Grows........Up to nearly 1500 now

115 in Cisco
    220 in Mylan
    200 in Merit Medical
    37 in Copperfasten
    150 in HP
    220 in Aviva
    15 in Grant Thornton
    300 in EA Games
    30 in Synchronoss
    27 in boots
    300 Between Dublin and Galway with fidelity investments and swerve(assuming 50/50 split as I can find out any different)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Not as long as there are job announcements seemingly like clockwork going to Galway, and nothing at all coming here. :mad:

And certainly not while fricatus is on de net!!! :D

It seems like Galway is a more attractive location for companies to locate initially, and they seem to be offering the correct supports and services for those which have located there to expand.

If places like Waterford and Limerick are to recover, the likes of the IDA, Enterprise Ireland, Chamber of Commerce etc. should be identifying a strategic plan for the two locations, and possibly targeting specific areas for growth.

In Waterford's case, the city was obviously a manufacturing hub. Those days now look to be gone, perhaps Agriculture might be a potential area for the future.

It seems like there are a lot of interested citizens here, so to supplement whatever work is going on among the state bodies, how about drawing up a list of supports and facilities that the city would require if it were to become a attractive location again, and a plan of how to go about achieving these goals? You may be able to form a lobby group and get some movement among the political representatives.

At the moment Waterford appears to be reeling a bit, and making a decent bit of noise. If this isn't supplemented with suggestions and proactive solutions offered I wonder will people here just be viewed as moaners?

hardybuck wrote: »
    It seems like Galway is a more attractive location for companies to locate initially, and they seem to be offering the correct supports and services for those which have located there to expand.

I've asked the question a number of times in this forum, and the answer that it seems keeps on coming back in flashing neon letters is U-N-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y! :D

Another inducement is that because Galway is in the supposedly poor BMW* region, businesses there can get some sort of capital or employment grant, which is not available in Waterford (since we're in a "richer" region).

At the moment Waterford appears to be reeling a bit, and making a decent bit of noise. If this isn't supplemented with suggestions and proactive solutions offered I wonder will people here just be viewed as moaners?

The proactive solution is the same one that has been around for 40 years now: create a university in Waterford so as to bring us in line with the other cities, and rebalance the huge Dublin bias in the higher education sector.

Another solution would be for the south-east to look for preferential treatment when it comes to employment supports and capital grants for industry. Dunno how easy this would be under EU rules, but at this stage we're definitely a disadvantaged region!

* What fool came up with this name by the way? Could they have picked a less apt name for a supposedly "poorer" region? If they had thought for a second, they could have called it "MBW" and got rid of the car-brand confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Here is a real Action Plan that the Government has the power to implement. Yes, this would all cost millions but if they are serious about helping the South East then they need to start putting their money where their mouth is.

1. Create the Technological University immediately - no more reports or delays
    2. Provide funding for the airport runway extension
    3. Create special incentives for businesses to locate in the South East
    4. Don't break up the South East Hospital network
    5. Construct new office building(s) suitable for major companies

Here is a real Action Plan that the Government has the power to implement. Yes, this would all cost millions but if they are serious about helping the South East then they need to start putting their money where their mouth is.

1. Create the Technological University immediately - no more reports or delays
    2. Provide funding for the airport runway extension
    3. Create special incentives for businesses to locate in the South East
    4. Don't break up the South East Hospital network
    5. Construct new office building(s) suitable for major companies

Regarding a run way extension - I don't see what the big problem is holding it back. We'd have no problem lashing out on road improvements - I'm sure it's not as easy as just laying tarmac, but it still should be very achievable. What would it cost - €10m?

On office space - I think that the IDA are advertising existing space, and are mentioning sites which have planning permission here http://www.idaireland.com/locations/regions-of-ireland/south-east/. It's a dangerous game building them before they come - I think you'd want to stay away from that if possible.

Regarding a technical university - I'm not sure how quick a process this is, I'm sure others will be well able to chip in. Before they do that, an industry sector should be targeted first, and then set out the necessary skills which companies in this sector would require.

Regarding a run way extension - I don't see what the big problem is holding it back. We'd have no problem lashing out on road improvements - I'm sure it's not as easy as just laying tarmac, but it still should be very achievable. What would it cost - €10m?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81624734&postcount=97

An estimated cost of €27.5m in 2007 would surely have fallen quite a bit in 2012. Also, the outer ring road was built for €37m in 2005, so we've no problem on finding money for roads.

We get a fair chunk of infrastructure funding including support for the airport but there appears to be planning issues with the runway due to land ownership.

Advertisement