Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai on camera

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Shes one of them own the road cyclists. Plenty of space there. Came across one headbanger the other day, he was lucky he didn't end up on me bonnet the way he was cycling. He literally came 3 meters out from the path for no reason what so ever and as a cyclist also I really couldn't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

cocoshovel wrote: »
    overly dramatic fool. :rolleyes:

The driver was the fool. He is also a pure example of a coward.

How big and tough do you need to be to use a state car to teach a woman a lesson?
    Garda says : " but how hard is it to keep to the curb? You were miles away from it riding a bike down the middle of the street." this statement clearly indicates he did it deliberately. So much for his observation skills - she was nowhere near the middle of the road and impeding no traffic.

Clear road outside bus lane and clear lane in front of the cyclist.If anyone drove like that in their test, for instance, it would be an instant fail. If any civilian cut in on a Garda car like that they'd be pulled over and quite rightly. There was no need whatsoever for it and you can hear the fright in her voice.
    Heres the link to the cycling forum discussion on this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056379455

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Cyclists are silly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

cocoshovel wrote: »
    overly dramatic fool. :rolleyes:

Yeah, you'd think that the driver would just keep going after such dangerous overtaking.
    discus wrote: »
    Headcase.

With such dangerous driving like that, that's one way to describe the drives.
    msg11 wrote: »
    Shes one of them own the road cyclists. Plenty of space there. Came across one headbanger the other day, he was lucky he didn't end up on me bonnet the way he was cycling. He literally came 3 meters out from the path for no reason what so ever and as a cyclist also I really couldn't understand it.

What's an own the road cyclist?

To understand, have a read of the book Cyclecraft -- it's kind of the cycling version of Roadcraft and it's based on the UK national cycling training standard. The department of transport here has advised cyclists to cycle well away from the kerb.

I know that bit of that bus lane well and I know there is no room for overtaking within the lane. Cyclists cycling further into the kerb are just putting them self in more danger of downright dangerous drivers as in the video sideswiping them.

How do you know the cyclist you spotted had no reason for cycling "literally" cycling 3m out? Are you sure he was not advoiding something, doing an advance overtake of something, getting ready to turn right, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Cyclists are silly.

Thats a bit of a generalisation.:)

• Advertisement

the driver is clearly a jackass!!

just look at the passenger, cant wait to get out of there!

overtake the cyclist, whats the problem? he obviously feels HE is the only one allowed to use bus lanes!

Greenman wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a generalisation.:)

Pity they don't pay road tax or follow the other rules of the road, such as traffic lights, etc.

monument wrote: »
    What's an own the road cyclist?

It's a cyclist who always has a chip on the shoulder about other drivers on the road. If a car dose something wrong they are always quick to point it out.

The amount of non sense I have witnessed from cyclists and I have never stopped and caused blue murder with them. Why because it's more than likely a mistake and I don't own the road.

And as a cyclist I don't go around chasing after car drivers or give them the fingers if they cut me off. What is it going to achieve at the end of the day, a pointless argument like we see here in the video.

As for him coming 3 metres out, there was no reason for it. I had cycled that stretch of road that very day. Personally I think he may have had a few beers on him, as I noticed his cycling wasn't normal hence, me thinking to myself 'I better watch out going past this guy', then like on Q when I was going to go past he shoots right out, I jammed on and made it around him.

Seriously, I don't want to sound smart but some cyclists need to cop on, cars are big machines and can kill you, stopping a bike or slowing down and looking over your shoulder and when it's safe to go around a pot hole do that or just dismount the bike and wait. Don't just shoot out three meters to avoid a pot hole or what ever, drivers are not mind readers. That is all I am saying. I wouldn't shoot over the other side of the road to avoid a pot hole I didn't see, it's called reading the road and looking for hazards, giant pot holes, cars coming out that might not stop etc.. I think the same when I am cycling my bike and hardly ever have issues.

I also agree with your comment, them drivers shouldn't have just drove into the bus lane like that either.

Pity they don't pay road tax or follow the other rules of the road, such as traffic lights, etc.

That comes across really whiny and whingey .....

Could you at least try to contribute something relevant to the discussion of the video?

Have you any evidence she isn't paying Road Tax? Did you see her break any lights?

( btw, off topic, but most cyclists do pay Motor Tax and a hefty amount of us voluntarily pay insurance to cover us in cycling related accidents)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

How come every wannabe cameraman has to shake rattle and roll the camera while filming ? I think the excitement's too much for them.

• Advertisement

That comes across really whiny and whingey .....

Could you at least try to contribute something relevant to the discussion of the video?

Have you any evidence she isn't paying Road Tax? Did you see her break any lights?

( btw, off topic, but most cyclists do pay Motor Tax and a hefty amount of us voluntarily pay insurance to cover us in cycling related accidents)

She isn't paying road tax for the vehicle she is using in the clip. She's a cyclist, they all break lights.
    She is an anti car cyclist, the rant in her other clip provides strong evidence of this.
    SHe has no consideration for other road users, and believes they should all wait behind her.
    She also has a problem with horse poo...

There'd be a lot less cyclists involved in accidents with other vehicles if they were more aware of their surroundings. A rear view mirror on the bicycle would be a start.

And welcome to the emergency forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭markpb

She isn't paying road tax for the vehicle she is using in the clip. She's a cyclist, they all break lights.
    She is an anti car cyclist, the rant in her other clip provides strong evidence of this.
    SHe has no consideration for other road users, and believes they should all wait behind her.

Massive stereotype brush you have there :)

There'd be a lot less cyclists involved in accidents with other vehicles if they were more aware of their surroundings. A rear view mirror on the bicycle would be a start.

And welcome to the emergency forum....

Not a single one of these points address my concern.

Nobody can justify two vehicles, one a Garda car, leaving a completely clear lane and deliberately menacing the cyclist. Explain why both cars didn't continue a few metres in their CLEAR lane before observing, indicating an SAFELY changing lanes? You go on about motor tax, red lights and horse manure all you want but none of these address the issue - but you knew that , right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

She isn't paying road tax for the vehicle she is using in the clip.
    So cyclists who do pay Motor Tax should be treated differently to those that don't pay Motor tax - is that your suggestion?

EDIT: Posted a second reply after thinking the first did not work, I'm blaming it on my current poor net connection...

It's a cyclist who always has a chip on the shoulder about other drivers on the road. If a car dose something wrong they are always quick to point it out.

The amount of non sense I have witnessed from cyclists and I have never stopped and caused blue murder with them. Why because it's more than likely a mistake and I don't own the road.

So, she's an "own the road" cyclist because she "always has a chip on the shoulder" and you're basing all of this on her reaction to two drivers driving fairly recklessly dangerously overtaking her within a matter of seconds when she is doing nothing wrong?

I'm not sure what the nonsense you've seen other cyclists do has to do with with this.
    And as a cyclist I don't go around chasing after car drivers or give them the fingers if they cut me off. What is it going to achieve at the end of the day, a pointless argument like we see here in the video.

The video shows the apparent guard acting the big man turing on his blues and giving out to somebody who he has just dangerously overtaken and contuines to give out to her even after it is clear she is fairly stressed out about what has just happened.

What do you think of his behavour?

As for him coming 3 metres out, there was no reason for it. I had cycled that stretch of road that very day. Personally I think he may have had a few beers on him, as I noticed his cycling wasn't normal hence, me thinking to myself 'I better watch out going past this guy', then like on Q when I was going to go past he shoots right out, I jammed on and made it around him.

Fair enough, without seeing the road and what happened at the time I can't really judge anything.

What part of what road was this on? Can you link to it in Google Street View?

I think it's here, about 200m futher on.

markpb wrote: »
    I think it's here, about 200m futher on.

Thanks, I know exactly where the video is shot -- msg11 and I had went on a side rant about something s/he wittnessed...

Thanks, I know exactly where the video is shot. We had went on a side rant...

Oops :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Garda completely in the wrong here.

Shame they let themselves down like so often.

• Advertisement

So, she's an "own the road" cyclist because she "always has a chip on the shoulder" and you're basing all of this on her reaction to two drivers driving fairly recklessly dangerously overtaking her within a matter of seconds when she is doing nothing wrong?

It's my personal option that some cyclists just hate car drivers for whatever reason, and over react at the slightest chance. It's happened to me and maybe yourself I don't know. But I know, I wouldn't throw a wobblier over it.
    The video shows the apparent guard acting the big man turing on his blues and giving out to somebody who he has just dangerously overtaken and contuines to give out to her even after it is clear she is fairly stressed out about what has just happened.

What do you think of his behavour?

What do I think of his behavour, maybe he has a chip on his shoulder also or maybe he didn't see the danger his actions caused and was wondering why she was shaking her fist. I personally think he shouldn't have stopped without an extremely valid reason. After she explained herself, he should have just left it at that, engaging in pointless arguement with cyclist is what causes this 'the Garda don't go after the real criminals etc...' .
    Fair enough, without seeing the road and what happened at the time I can't really judge anything.

That's fair enough.

At the end of the day, I think car drivers and cyclists alike don't get along. I think all road users need to remember mistakes are made not everyone is perfect. So when you see one car driver or cyclist making a mistake, take a deep breath and don't fly off the handle about it. If no one flew of the handle in this video we wouldn't be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

That'll be the official yokes you're talkin' about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Cyclists are silly.

Even the the Garda ones? I'm not so sure about that.

I think it should be "Some cyclists are silly" like all things in life.:)

Greenman wrote: »
    Even the the Garda ones? I'm not so sure about that.

I think it should be "Some cyclists are silly" like all things in life.:)

Garda cyclists thought they were applying for a motorcycle course, but didn't read the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

So here's another Garda (off-duty I reckon) demonstrating his poor driving skills around a cyclist on camera.

Did the driver actually tell you he was a Garda, or are you just assuming ?. A lot of uniforms are quite similar under a jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

So here's another Garda (off-duty I reckon) demonstrating his poor driving skills around a cyclist on camera.

looks more dublin bus then ags if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

looks more dublin bus then ags if you ask me

Agreed it's too dark to be an AGS shirt, Also at the end of the video, shouldn't this cyclist be on that cycle lane to the left and not in the middle of 2 driving lanes???

Must say, I wouldn't bee too keen on my face, car, reg. etc. appearing here whether I'm right or wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The poster has an agenda here. He must be mad it wasn't actually a Garda at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement