Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

france 2011

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah I'll second Les Prairies de la Mer, brilliant spot for a few days, Port Grimaud is beautiful, and catch a boat across the bay to st Tropez to gawk at the yatchs and ferraris, and rich people :D

kat2171 wrote: »
    We planning to head to France in camper with 3 children ( 6,4,2). We've gone to Spain the last two years by air and instead of heading to the beach, would like to try eastern France, around the alpes possibly?
    Has anyone done this? Would we be better off going across the UK? We going for about 2 1/2 weeks from early July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Hi Kat, sorry OP bit off topic but not really :D
    I'm from Lyon myself, an absolutely gorgeous town. The whole Rhone-Alpes area is gorgeous, lots of beautiful little villages, and the weather in the summer is usually hot and sunny. For fresher air it's easy to climb up a bit, either on the South side, on the Ardeche or Drome sides, or East of Lyon, in the pre-Alps near Annecy, Aix-Les-Bains... The Beaujolais is full of fabulous little villages too.

We're planning on discovering more of Le Bugey ourselves this year. Last year we stayed at this campsite : http://www.ile-de-la-comtesse.com/ , this was nice and very quiet even in July !
    Access is a bit hairy to this campsite near Roanne (down a long windy, steep and narrow road), but it's worth it, fabulous scenery and nice site with private beach and swimming pool to ourselves. Fisherman's heaven I'd say :)
    http://www.camping-arpheuilles.com/index_fr.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

just book the ferry for 2011 July/Aug 17 days or so its the first time that their will just be the 2 of us so we are not planing to book any where just drift around vendee and go further south if the weather brakes
    keep the links coming im finding them very helpful i would be interested to hear of any experiences of good aries you have found as we plan to do a mix of sites and aires

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

Cant believe its over 7 months since i started this thread.We are leaving on Thursday evening.
    Just got the oven fitted and fridge fixed ( thanks to donagheys in letterkenny). Really looking forward to our trip, my first stop in france will be the le mans race track and museum:D.... i have a 02 dongle will it work over there or should i go for the 3 offer of all you can eat data on a i phone 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Enjoy the trip Joe, heading over myself with the OH the 1st of August, staying around Cap d'Agde in Rousillon. We're tenting it on a pitch, packing up the jeep. Might pass ye on the way! Don't think 02 thing will work, the charges would be colossal even if it did. I checked Google maps on my phone in Paris in April, cost 11euro for tiny map streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Enjoy the trip Joe, heading over myself with the OH the 1st of August, staying around Cap d'Agde in Rousillon. We're tenting it on a pitch, packing up the jeep. Might pass ye on the way! Don't think 02 thing will work, the charges would be colossal even if it did. I checked Google maps on my phone in Paris in April, cost 11euro for tiny map streaming.

Trailer Bob
    Enjoy Cap d'Agde, it is a wonderful place. Be sure to go to Gru d'Adge & La Tramissiries a short distance from Adge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

joed571 wrote: »
    i have a 02 dongle will it work over there or should i go for the 3 offer of all you can eat data on a i phone 4

Phone internet is best, I have a pre-pay Vodafone dongle for my net-book for use when I an away here (In Ireland) and decided to give it a go last May when I was in France, just for the convenience of the net-book as the phone was doing the job but compared to the net-book it was a bit 'fiddely'.

So, this is how it went.

Started with €11 odd credit, opened google home page, opened my bank log in page, entered login details, page to enter three digits form password opened but I couldn't complete the entry of the digits, checked balance, balance €0.00.

That's right, €11 odd gone in less than a minute/ three web pages :eek::eek::mad::mad:

Used free wifi or phone for rest of the hols.

BTW, there is a lovely Aire 19 Kms SW of the Musee Automobile at La Suze-sur-Sarthe, see below

Cant believe its over 7 months since i started this thread.We are leaving on Thursday evening.
    Just got the oven fitted and fridge fixed ( thanks to donagheys in letterkenny). Really looking forward to our trip, my first stop in france will be the le mans race track and museum:D.... i have a 02 dongle will it work over there or should i go for the 3 offer of all you can eat data on a i phone 4

Hi OP, 02 won't work here. I bought a local dongle with no ties subscription last year (you top up as you need), but this year the sim didn't work anymore, so I didn't bother buying a new one (it's 59.99 in supermarkets for the dongle, supposedly you get 30 E back if you send back a slip and register, but I think I looked into it last year and you'd need a French address...).

So this year I chanced aiming for campsites with wi-fi, and it hasn't gone too badly. I'm typing this from a nice quiet campsite outside Le Mans actually Camping du Lac de Varenne http://www.camp-in-ouest.com/ .

Most campsites have wifi at least at their bar/reception, and if you have the ACSI guide (and others) they will usually tell you if you can get it from the pitch too. Some are expensive, others very reasonable, can't really give you a price range, but I think 8 euros a day is the most I have paid this year (not in the touristy South though !).

A tip I can share : we've only this year started to stop in camping municipal, this would be a campsite owned by the town, or "intercommunal" would be owned and run by several villages. Usually in these campsites, if wifi is available, it will be free (since they're run by the town !). All townhalls in France also offer free wifi by the way, and Quick and McDonald's. Some of these campsites have great facilities and lots are situated by lakes or rivers, if near a town swimming pool, it should also be free to campers. But they tend not to have their own shop and restaurant, since they are usually in town and they want you to get out and spend in the town/village.

Thanks for the info above guys, got up today only to find one of my skylights had blown off in last nights wind:eek: Had to dash to donagheys for new one today, also had to replace a outlet for the waste water today.. Decided to give it a oil and filter change before we leave. So all is ready to go now, cant wait
    I have a ipod touch so will try that for the wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Enjoy the trip JoeD. It really is a fantastic holiday.

We are not long back and are probably going back the 1st week of September, we loved it that much.

Roll on retirement and the kids growing up :)

• Advertisement

Bit of a update, all i can say is that a75 has some hills and god its warm down here:Dwe are leaving on wedensday to head up the west coast any suggestions, i have a week to get to cherbourg but must go through bratome. We stayed off the motorways as much as we could, have spent less than €25 on tolls and that includes the millau bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Glad to hear its warm Joe, on the boat out of Rosslare as we speak, will hit the Med tomorrow afternoon via A75. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Le Mans would be a nice stop up north, but not very westerly!

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Glad to hear its warm Joe, on the boat out of Rosslare as we speak, will hit the Med tomorrow afternoon via A75. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Le Mans would be a nice stop up north, but not very westerly!
    Oh is warm all right :D we done le mans on the way down, well worth a visit for anyone. enjoy your spin down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Request to mods for TrailerBob and JoeD to be banned !!!

Reason - for making me extremely jealous ;)

Wish I was there this very minute. Nothing but cloudy skies and showers here for the last few days. Add in overpriced wine and gloopy cuisine de france sh**e bread.

And our poor camper wishes she was there to. I still haven't taken the boarding card off the rear view mirror yet.

Enjoy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Bit of a update, all i can say is that a75 has some hills and god its warm down here:Dwe are leaving on wedensday to head up the west coast any suggestions, i have a week to get to cherbourg but must go through bratome. We stayed off the motorways as much as we could, have spent less than €25 on tolls and that includes the millau bridge.

If it's not too far south you could start your journey north from Ondres Plage just north of Bayonne and hug the coast up to Arcachon, there are numerous Aires to stop on the route, expect to pay €7>€10 per night this time of year but most have EHU included in the price. If on that route don't forget to visit the 'Dune du Pilat', the highest sand dune in Europe, but don't be tempted to overnight in the carpark, it's in some of the older Aires books but now carries a hefty fine for staying overnight.

From Bordeaux, join the D669 at Saint-Andre-de-Cubzac, again hug the coast up to Royan, you will be on the eastern bank of the Gironde which is full of old fortified towns and history.

You could easily spend two weeks on the above route alone.

Brantome is a bit inland and may make a coastal route a bit awkward, but the Perigord / Dordogne area has its own beauty also. If you are in that way a visit to the preserved ruined (WWII) town of Oradour-sur-Glane is a must.

One tip, when moving on it is best to move so as to arrive at your next stop by late morning at the latest as all the good Aires, especially those in resort towns/areas, will be very busy this time of the year and can be full by early afternoon.

Bonne Route

Thanks niloc1951 for the detailed info, but going by the weather i think im going to hang around the med for a few days then blast straight up to brotome to meet the others. thanks for the info will keep it for next trip.

Back home now. nice to see the weather getting wetter as we got closer to home :( . i think we done well in france 2 days rain out of 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Right bought our first van in June and have had a few trips (4) away already to get used to this new way of life.

We were gonna wait till next year for France but have decided just to go ahead and are booked for September.

Roslare to Cherbourg - €480 return - 4 Adults & Infant with inner cabin.

Planning to stay the night in Granville and then make our way around the North East coast to the following places - Quimper (Douarnenez), Vannes, & onto La Rochelle. Is this too far for 10 days ? Whats there to see along this route. Have been told that Quimper and La Rochelle are beautiful.

Its not set in stone where we are going to stay so does anyone have any recommendations for this route? We have the Asci card and would like to stay in some Aires - heard of one in a forest park that gets busy but can't remember name of it right now.

Any tips regarding what to bring? Bring or leave the awning tent, wind breakers etc...

Cheers

Stephen (Can't wait)

Oh its showing up as 13 hours on google maps aswell - is that realistic in 10 days? 5 days down 5 days back?

Cherbourg, Granville, Lannion, Moriax, Quimper and down the coast to La Rochelle. 879KM

Trying to avoid tolls aswell and leisurely driving :)

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Oh its showing up as 13 hours on google maps aswell - is that realistic in 10 days? 5 days down 5 days back?

Cherbourg, Granville, Lannion, Moriax, Quimper and down the coast to La Rochelle. 879KM

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Granville Is a lovely spot to stay..2 hours fr Cherbourg. Tolls down to la rochelle are only 15 euro in a camper so maybe head down the rout you suggested and come back up the motorway in one day

• Advertisement

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks
    I would spend more time going down and enjoy it. then as martyc5674 said come back up the motorway or spend a day in le mont st michel on the way up. I ended up staying there for three nights, went to le mont then alligator bay for the boys, then relaxed for a day before heading to the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I would spend more time going down and enjoy it. then as martyc5674 said come back up the motorway or spend a day in le mont st michel on the way up. I ended up staying there for three nights, went to le mont then alligator bay for the boys, then relaxed for a day before heading to the boat.
    if you go there the place is usually packed and the streets are narrow so forget the buggy!

Cheers for the info lads.

What can you expect to pay on tolls from La Rochelle to Cherbourg ?

The michelin link says 54 euro is this accurate?

Cheers

Ste

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Cheers for the info lads.

What can you expect to pay on tolls from La Rochelle to Cherbourg ?

The michelin link says 54 euro is this accurate?

Cheers

Ste

There are 3 options. If you go from La Rochelle on n 137/a84, it won't be that much, as there are no tolls from Nantes to the ferry. Routes thought angers cost a lot more in tolls and are longer and slower. I just came back from saint jean de montes and the nantes routes is not too bad.

Safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

zoltar_boi wrote: »
    There are 3 options. If you go from La Rochelle on n 137/a84, it won't be that much, as there are no tolls from Nantes to the ferry. Routes thought angers cost a lot more in tolls and are longer and slower. I just came back from saint jean de montes and the nantes routes is not too bad.
    if yo u need a stopover on the n137 try Lake NOZAY GPS coordinates : Longitude: -1.62604093 Latitude: 47.57706130 right by the lake and village park ,skate board park swings for the kids nice restaurant in the village hook up €5 per night but if you arrive after 8pm its free :rolleyes:

Cheers

Where do you pay the €5 ? It looks like its beside a saw mill?

I can see a van parked in behind trees on google street view.

Thanks for the info.

Ste

Cheers

Where do you pay the €5 ? It looks like its beside a saw mill?

I can see a van parked in behind trees on google street view.

Thanks for the info.

Ste
    them village stop overs usually use the 2 pin. so bring an adapter for the electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

Didn't get to go last year,but definitely thinking of mid July this year for maybe 10 days.
    I've priced Motorhome with 2 Adults and 2 Teens on Celtic Link Ferries,with a 4 Berth Cabin each way and it quotes €930.
    Can anyone reccomend some good Campsites down the West Coast.
    I'd be thinking of somewhere near Cherbourg for the first night or two and then moving South,spending maybe 2-3 nights in various Campsites that would have good facilities to keep Teens happy.

manta356 wrote: »
    Didn't get to go last year,but definitely thinking of mid July this year for maybe 10 days.
    I've priced Motorhome with 2 Adults and 2 Teens on Celtic Link Ferries,with a 4 Berth Cabin each way and it quotes €930.
    Can anyone reccomend some good Campsites down the West Coast.
    I'd be thinking of somewhere near Cherbourg for the first night or two and then moving South,spending maybe 2-3 nights in various Campsites that would have good facilities to keep Teens happy.
    http://www.anse-du-brick.com/
    a little outside from Cherbourg. gorgeous views from there looking on to the sea.
    dont know how far south you are going but if you go down any where near the dordogne enjoy the beautiful scenery along the river. there's a lovely camp-site near sarlat but both the name of the campsite and the village elude me the camp site is near the river and is over looked by a castle iin the mountain which hovers above the village

• Advertisement
Advertisement