Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

sgarvan wrote: »
    Electronic Signs up saying the road will be closed northbound & southbound from April 2nd to 5th between 10pm & 6am
    ...maybe to put up the gantries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

...maybe to put up the gantries?

I'd say you are spot-on there. All the work along the mainline seems to be on the base structures for the gantries in the past 2 weeks. Them seem to be in place now just to set/harden etc.

Would be great if they got the rest of the planning and laying new wearing layers done at the same time also.

cargo wrote: »

I'd say you are spot-on there. All the work along the mainline seems to be on the base structures for the gantries in the past 2 weeks. Them seem to be in place now just to set/harden etc.

Would be great if they got the rest of the planning and laying new wearing layers done at the same time also.

I think the laying of the wearing course requires a temperature of at least 8 deg.C - Alas, I think we'll be waiting if the weather predictions for April are anything to go by. It would be great to see the gantries go up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

i was looking back at the first post on this subject, may 2010, thats nearly 3 years and still not finished, i know before anyone says it it was two seperate upgrades but it's still only 5/6 km each direction it's not like their building a tunnel through solid rock.what's the hold up on this,can anyone explain it?. the slowest upgrade in irish infrastructure history without doubt. by the way i think they have messed to up the northbound end of this,why didn't they continue the 3 lanes a couple hundred meters beyond junction 4 NB so itwould be easier for anyone joining the motorway.am i being cynical to say it was done deliberate so they would have to come back to fix it,more work more money,sure it's only the tax payers paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

iopener wrote: »
    why didn't they continue the 3 lanes a couple hundred meters beyond junction 4 NB so itwould be easier for anyone joining the motorway.am i being cynical to say it was done deliberate so they would have to come back to fix it,more work more money,sure it's only the tax payers paying for it.
    Is this some sort of problem area?

The merge here is very long already and I've never seen any issues with it whatsoever.

If you make it 3 lanes they you have to merger 3 into 2 at some stage on the main line - it's much safer to do this at an off ramp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

iopener wrote: »
    am i being cynical to say it was done deliberate so they would have to come back to fix it,more work more money,sure it's only the tax payers paying for it.
    Yes - They didn't design it, the NRA did.

As far as I can make out from traffic cam #112, a gantry is being erected - there's what appears to be crane amid other stationary vehicles on the NB carriageway - I can just make out the gantry structure itself...

As far as I can make out from traffic cam #112, a gantry is being erected - there's what appears to be crane amid other stationary vehicles on the NB carriageway - I can just make out the gantry structure itself...

Cam 112 seems to be down at the minute. Did they put up a gantry last night? I passed yesterday evening around 8.30pm and there was no sign of any activity or any trailers parked up with steelwork for the job but I'm sure they could easily get it on-site if you saw cranes there around midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Hopefully they'll work on that dip by the estuary bridge during these periods of road closure. It seems a good opportunity.

Cam 112 seems to be down at the minute. Did they put up a gantry last night? I passed yesterday evening around 8.30pm and there was no sign of any activity or any trailers parked up with steelwork for the job but I'm sure they could easily get it on-site if you saw cranes there around midnight.

Cam 112 back up and running. New full width gantry in place in the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Latest Camera views,

Site16Camera111.jpg

Site16Camera112.jpg

Site16Camera113.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

God help us all if/when the M7 Naas-Newbridge widening happens. That's 11.4 km, this M1 yoke is only 4!
    It'll take a decade if this one is anything to go by!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

spacetweek wrote: »
    God help us all if/when the M7 Naas-Newbridge widening happens. That's 11.4 km, this M1 yoke is only 4!

Indeed, especially as Leo will probably feel the need to separately announce every truckload of gravel that arrives :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think they did two northbound gantries, only one was fitted with signs. The new surface after the bridge southbound is decent but the state of the inside lane before and on the bridge is dangerous, wheels get stuck in the grooves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

spacetweek wrote: »

And it even has......... bridges to demolish and an interchange to build. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Aquarius34 wrote: »

Make that 20 years so. you would nearly get your pension out of that job alone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bridges won't need demolishing. All are perfectly wide for 3 running lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Aquarius34 wrote: »

There were no bridges demolished when the M50 was widened at the N2, so why would they need to demolish any on the M1 or N7?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They can drop the hard shoulders (aka Nenagh bypass) if the bridges along the M7 are a bit tight, but even then there may be one or two that to my eyes just look a little bit too narrow for D3 at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Davy wrote: »
    I think they did two northbound gantries, only one was fitted with signs. The new surface after the bridge southbound is decent but the state of the inside lane before and on the bridge is dangerous, wheels get stuck in the grooves

Second gantry got the signs last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can drop the hard shoulders (aka Nenagh bypass) if the bridges along the M7 are a bit tight, but even then there may be one or two that to my eyes just look a little bit too narrow for D3 at the moment.

They have shoulders and medians, D3 will fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

there was a Garda speed van doing checks ~50m from the end of the roadworks NB this morning, taking the pi$$ imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

antoobrien wrote: »
    There were no bridges demolished when the M50 was widened at the N2, so why would they need to demolish any on the M1 or N7?

If they build the M7 Osbertstown/Sallins bypass interchange then AFAIR it requires a new bridge on either side of the closed-off/damaged farm access bridge here. This existing bridge to be demolished.

BMJD wrote: »
    there was a Garda speed van doing checks ~50m from the end of the roadworks NB this morning, taking the pi$$ imo :)

Same spot again this afternoon for about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If they build the M7 Osbertstown/Sallins bypass interchange then AFAIR it requires a new bridge on either side of the closed-off/damaged farm access bridge here. This existing bridge to be demolished.

Don't know that bridge, but from what you're saying it needs to go regardless of the "upgrade status" of the road not because of it.

End date from Fingal Co. Council that I got in an e-mail today (I e-mailed asking when it was due to be completed):
    Due to the record breaking cold March and early April the laying of macadam had to be suspended. The contractor has now programmed for completion end of next month.
    Regards,

Dónal wrote: »
    End date from Fingal Co. Council that I got in an e-mail today (I e-mailed asking when it was due to be completed):

They are back laying tarmac again over the past few days. They were doing the 1st section you meet coming SB (Cam 113) and I think they have filled in the bit they had dug back out of the earlier layers. It was surrounded by cones for a few weeks but looked to be covered over when I passed this am.

Also a lot of the NB middle section L1 has been laid although there is still a strip missing coming NB towards the bridges.

They seem to be putting down wearing course anywhere they can even if it's only a small strip probably trying to get back as much time as they can now that the weather is back on track again.

Any update on how the works up on the junction are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Any update on how the works up on the junction are going?

I noticed a lot of work going on with clearing up the remaining debris and general tidying up. It still looks like there will be one final layer of tarmac to lay down. You can also clearly see the tunnels which also look finished. Some crash barriers were being installed today too.

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I noticed a lot of work going on with clearing up the remaining debris and general tidying up. It still looks like there will be one final layer of tarmac to lay down. You can also clearly see the tunnels which also look finished. Some crash barriers were being installed today too.

yeah they've started tidying up on the mainline as well and anything that can be taken away has been. A small version of the concrete barrier machine has appeared back on the NB side near the junction so they probably are replacing a bit of the HS crash barrier with a concrete version.

They are also backfilling around the foundations of the new overhead gantries and general landscaping. However there's still digging and foundation work going on in 2 spots both NB and SB.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Kumsheen wrote: »
    You can also clearly see the tunnels which also look finished. Some crash barriers were being installed today too.

Tunnels?

Advertisement