Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that i'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

They look to me like regular German export plates.

If you buy a car in Germany for export, then the original registration is no longer valid, so the original plates also become invalid. You get issued a special set of export plates to allow it to be driven abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Red ones are valid for two or three days, while the yellow ones are valid for a week, but can be used only in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Sobanek wrote: »
    Red ones are valid for two or three days, while the yellow ones are valid for a week, but can be used only in Germany.
    Not exactly. The red plates can be valid, say one month (depending on the buyer that specifies it) and are for export purposes. The yellow plates are temporary numbers, i.e. for a car that was off the road and needs to be driven to the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Those are German Export plates. The red bit has a date on it which is their expiry date. You buy these when you need to export a vehicle out of Germany as the plates on the cars over there dont stay with them. The price you pay can include insurance for up to four weeks. They are valid in any European country and when they are no longer valid you are supposed to return them to Germany!

I find they look much nicer screwed to the inside of my garage door ...... all eight of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

oceanman wrote: »
    Capri wrote: »
    AND THE PRICE WILL DROP A LOT MORE I'LL WAGER :mad::mad:
    If I was going for one, I'd go for this one:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4400706
    But as Capri said, price will drop more. The one I posted had a similar price tag, but no price on it now.
    Scary how cheap such a quality car goes for because of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Cienciano wrote: »
    If I was going for one, I'd go for this one:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4400706
    But as Capri said, price will drop more. The one I posted had a similar price tag, but no price on it now.
    Scary how cheap such a quality car goes for because of tax.

Cheap? It's 12 years old, is expensive to run even leaving aside the tax, it's really too big for daily commuting/city driving, it's not particularly rare and Jags, much as I love them, have always suffered higher depreciation rates compared to their German counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

porsche959 wrote: »
    Cheap? It's 12 years old, is expensive to run even leaving aside the tax, it's really too big for daily commuting/city driving, it's not particularly rare and Jags, much as I love them, have always suffered higher depreciation rates compared to their German counterparts.

it's supposed to be old, this is the classics forum, high tax was pointed out twice already (we know), who cares if it's too big for daily commuting/city driving (forum name again), who cares if it's not particularly rare or has high depreciation rates - you'd get it for a couple of grand, it won't depreciate much lower than that!

porsche959 wrote: »

They are not really big any more and this is the case with most old classics. I have a W126 300 SE which is not as tall, not as wide, not as heavy or not as fast as my 2012 Passat!!

When I were a lad, a Mk 1 Ford Cortina was a big car ..... put one beside a current Fiesta and suddenly it isnt anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

w124man wrote: »
    They are not really big any more and this is the case with most old classics. I have a W126 300 SE which is not as tall, not as wide, not as heavy or not as fast as my 2012 Passat!!

When I were a lad, a Mk 1 Ford Cortina was a big car ..... put one beside a current Fiesta and suddenly it isnt anymore!

Amazing when you see 'big' classics such as Triumph 2500 etc alongside the new Clio , even the old R5 would probably fit inside the new Clio :eek:

This all started with the Japs, the first Toyota Corolla K/E 10 in '66 which was tiny compared with it's latest incarnation ( which is about the size of the first Camry ) -
    1982 Camry V10 LxWxH 4400x1700x1300 ?
    2013 Corolla 4500x1760x1400

Even the new Mondeo is bigger than the 99 W220 S-class inside :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

w124man wrote: »

More room in the back of the cortina though .... :)
    Sierra replaced the cortina, Mondeo replaced Sierra , but Mondeo was equiv of a granada.... And the ka now fills the old fiestas place ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BMW E24 is 4.75m long, and that's a coupe. The US spec is just short of 5m!:D

S'pose we, and our cars, are getting bigger :eek:

S'pose we, and our cars, are getting bigger :eek:

E24, launched in '76. :D

BMW E24 is 4.75m long, and that's a coupe.
    The E63 is 4.83m long. Still bigger ;).

Seweryn wrote: »
    The E63 is 4.83m long. Still bigger ;).

:P

:P
    I know... Bigger and (a lot) uglier :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4770409

five cars for the price of four (need a big trailer )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

kasper wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4770409

five cars for the price of four (need a big trailer )

is there a car in all of it tho

lots of plates for 'collectors' is all I see

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4776240

anyone for a pair of Peugeot 505s( strange reg on one )

• Advertisement

kasper wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4776240

anyone for a pair of Peugeot 505s( strange reg on one )

EI = old Sligo reg AFIK , probably a Peugeot dealer as a GTD Turbo wouldn't be too common ;)

EI = old Sligo reg AFIK , probably a Peugeot dealer as a GTD Turbo wouldn't be too common ;)

1985 Sligo reg went from 8162 EI to 9462 EI

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

The sligo reg. EI 505 is from late 1903 to 1904. worth saving for the reg. alone.

pmg007 wrote: »
    The sligo reg. EI 505 is from late 1903 to 1904. worth saving for the reg. alone.

1903/4 , HTF did it end up on an 81 car :confused::confused::confused:

Great cars, were the old GTD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

1903/4 , HTF did it end up on an 81 car :confused::confused::confused:

It was possible (up to c.mid-1980's?) to have a registration number transferred from a scrapped vehicle to a modern vehicle.

A well known example on this site is the reg 'GTI 205' - which is on a 1984 Peugeot 205 GTi (transferred from a scrapped 1965 Morris Minor back in the 80's).

Its interesting when some people say that the registration number of a car doesnt really matter - and yet here is another example of how a car probably survived (merely?) because of its reg plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

oceanman wrote: »
    this car is 38 years old and very respectable.
    self professed concourse adjudicators that never owned a 911 stay away go buy a 50k version.
    Genuine callers will be entertained.
    Price: € 13,500

'entertained' is an interesting choice of phrase :cool: He's not going to have an easy time :rolleyes:

I've had 'know it alls' and I've had 'like minded souls' looking at cars I've been selling - I prefer dealing with 'like minded souls' even if they don't end up buying

They'll have to give this one away - or respray it :rolleyes:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4452176

• Advertisement

'entertained' is an interesting choice of phrase :cool: He's not going to have an easy time :rolleyes:

I've had 'know it alls' and I've had 'like minded souls' looking at cars I've been selling - I prefer dealing with 'like minded souls' even if they don't end up buying

googled the phone number and got this http://dublin.saintclassifiedireland.com/alanya-turkey-need-to-sell-your-apt-fast-dublin-please-contact-anonymoused-reputable-companies-available-we-can-look-all-the-legal-ad-31639

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement