Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bourne Legacy (Bourne 4)

• 25-02-2008 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭lizann

<H1>Fourth Bourne movie announced

Monday, February 25 2008, 11:43 GMT
    By Beth Hilton, Entertainment Reporter

Universal has announced a fourth movie in the hit Bourne franchise.

Star Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass will return for the new instalment, reports Variety.

The pair are currently working together on Iraq-set thriller The Green Zone, after which Damon will shoot Steven Soderbergh’s The Informant.

Greengrass directed the second and third films in the series, which is based on author Robert Ludlum's trilogy.

It was reported in 2006 that the franchise may stretch to five movies, but both Damon and Greengrass were reluctant to continue after the third film.

Damon insisted last year that he was "definitely done" with playing hitman Jason Bourne, saying: "I think we've ridden that horse as far as we can."

The Bourne Ultimatum won three technical awards at last night's Oscars.
    </H1>
    Great news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Good news i reckon, the first three were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nice! Enjoyed first three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dunno, sounds like a money move.

They made Ludlum's trilogy, told Bourne's story, so whats this one going to be on?

as it stands its a fantastic trilogy, just wouldn't like to see a bastard son lessen it.

While you do raise a good point, that doesn't mean with a good original script that it can't be a decent film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah i cant really see what they can do with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,699 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They made Ludlum's trilogy, told Bourne's story, so whats this one going to be on?

as it stands its a fantastic trilogy, just wouldn't like to see a bastard son lessen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Bourne Relapse? ;)

Pretty much my thinking of it. Then again, I have no problem with money movies as long as the story is good. It doesn't have to continue the original arc, just the same character in a new situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Would love to see a prequel movie. See what he was like as an operative

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's a fair point, and I will remain wary, but its not like the original trilogy stuck fantastically closely to the books anyway is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Whoa, glitch in the matrix! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Money money money.
    The story was essentially told in the first two movies,the third added very little .
    I thought the third film was very light on plot on redundant.
    By far the worst of the trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dave73

There are more books in the bourne series: Betrayal, Legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

KOOL i only watched the first two - first time - yesterday, might watc hthe 3rd tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

User45701 wrote: »
    KOOL i only watched the first two - first time - yesterday, might watc hthe 3rd tonight

The 3rd is my favourite out of the 3 (only just, they are all class!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,699 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

While you do raise a good point, that doesn't mean with a good original script that it can't be a decent film.

Thats true, and fingers crossed thats how it pans out. It will still be Damon and Greengrass which does give some hope for a quality addition (if they weren't involved id give up hope immediately).

Id love it to be decent, and im hoping they go for the prequel option. I just really like how the 3rd one ends
    the way he accomplishes what he set out to do and just disappears to live his life in peace like he wanted to after the first movie before being dragged back in - the only ways they can carry on are with either Bourne taking up someone elses cause rather then his own (which doesnt really fit with the first 3 imo when he wasn't looking for a fight), or else the more likely "Bourne is Back for Revenge - Again"
    . Prequel would be awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

dave73 wrote: »
    There are more books in the bourne series: Betrayal, Legacy

Yeah, but they're not by Ludlum. I've not read them, but the synopsis of them make them sound terrible. Has anyone here read them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

They've made the same movie three times now. A fourth might be stretching it a bit far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, but they're not by Ludlum. I've not read them, but the synopsis of them make them sound terrible. Has anyone here read them?

Ive read the first 3, but not the subsequent ones. All the books differ greatly from the films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Decuc500 wrote: »
    They've made the same movie three times now. A fourth might be stretching it a bit far.
    Have to agree, good films just not spectacular by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'd be behind this if Doug Liman came back to direct it but not if Greengrass is on board. He took the last Bourne film far too close to the superhero/Bond line for my liking - Bourne became an invincible behemoth, especially in the car chase scene. In the first movie, he is vicious and a killing machine, but everything he does is within the realms of human behaviour and mostly within normal physics. More importantly, he's a character that avoids the stupid scenarios that Bond or Superman would get into - he's more cunning, more intelligent than that. The best scene in Ultimatum is the train station, and the worst is the car chase - the difference it makes to the character is jolting. You never get the feeling watching Identity that it's a series of stunts strung together, like the last one was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I dont see why they cant make a fourth.

To me the bourne films are like the James bond series in so far as you know exactly what your gonna get and you dont need more films but you want them just cause their so much fun.

Thats the thing with bourne, you could argue the 2nd and 3rd films didnt really need to be made and they are pretty similiar to the first. But their just brilliant and I am glad they were made.

I would have a lot of faith in Greengrass and damon(who certainly doesnt need to do stuff for cash at the moment) and as for it not being based on a ludlum book, thank god I say! Havent read the supremacy or the ultimatum but I know the identity film had very little to do with the book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

faceman wrote: »
    Ive read the first 3, but not the subsequent ones. All the books differ greatly from the films.

I think I read somewhere that the movies are based on Carlos the Jackel more than the books :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

The whole point of the first book was Carlos the Jackal. But this was changed in the story of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'll definitely go and see it when it's released and I'll probably end up liking it but right now the idea of a fourth Bourne just doesn't appeal to me. The trilogy and ending of Ultimatum seem just right as they are, a fourth would feel too much of what's all been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Looked to me like they tied everything up in the third but unfortunatly, I can't see anything stopping them from makeing a fourth.

Makes me wonder though....is the tradition of the trilogy as we know it dead??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

I agree with Babybling. The films were fun, they did exactly what I expected them to do, and the third one, for me was the best. Now, that's not to say I necessarily want a forth film. As much as I liked the trilogy, I did raise an eyebrow when I heard about a forth, as the trilogy wrapped up nicely. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the deal with the forth is before I condemn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Rumoured name for the 4th film....The Bourne Eternity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

As much as i like the bourne movies I think this is a mistake. If they do make another one they will have to do something different from the other three as the are kinda formulaic.

cops chasing bourne, car crash, meets bad guy briefly, crunching fight scene etc.

I think they need to move away from the third one as that was very Enemy of the State/Mission Imposible 1 I felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

A third sequel in The Bourne Franchise looks to be moving properly ahead, after Universal commissioned co-scripter of The Bourne Ultimatum, George Nolfi, to pen a fourth flick in the outstanding and hugely successful series. Both director Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon said they'd come back if the story was right, so it looks like a quadrilogy for the best spy series ever (Sorry Bond, but you know it's true). Greengrass has previously said of another instalment: "We love it, but none of us would want to go again unless we’re sure there’s a worthwhile film". Giving the ability of both these guys and the fussiness they've both shown with each passing project, this means we're probably in store for another stunning film from them. The lads, who have become good friends, just wrapped The Green Zone together also.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Harrison Ford, Steven Speilberg and George Lucas said they'd do another Indy movie "if the script was right", and they came up with The Crystal Skull, so alarm bells automatically go off in my head when I hear that phrase.

To be honest, it kind of sounds like they're just covering their bases. If they do make a new one, I hope they put real effort into the script instead of doing Bourne-by-numbers.

Actually, JP Liz, where did you get that article?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

This is the first I've heard of it and to be honest I'm sceptical. The 3rd film wrapped things up nicely but as Karl Hungus said if the script is good then it should be a good film.

I was sceptical about the 4th Rambo until I saw it and once I did I loved it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Advertisement