Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Better equipment for the Gardai

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

moose52c wrote: »
    NO! cant be an offence to be safe!!...

Do you know it or are you just guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 moose52c

ojewriej wrote: »
    Do you know it or are you just guessing?

I know it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Quick question to anyone in the know: is it true it's illegal to own (or wear in public) a bulletproof vest?

Definitely not, the only mention of body armour in Irish legislation is a satutory instrument on limitations attached to the export of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Quick question to anyone in the know: is it true it's illegal to own (or wear in public) a bulletproof vest?

No reason why you cannot do so legally but generally speaking there are only a few types of people that do so.

No reason why you cannot do so legally but generally speaking there are only a few types of people that do so.

Of course. It was just an academic question really, there is a discussion going in After Hours, and we weren't sure about it.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I was watching Night COps last night and i was wondering about something.

Some of the cops wear this weird kind of netted vest over their HI-Vis jackets. What is that? I assumed that it's just to hold any equipment which won't fir on the belt, but some of them didn't have anything attached to it. What;s the purpose of this vest, does anone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Faheywitane

Its the same sort thing as an assault vest used in the military I'd say, different way of carrying equipment other than a belt.
    http://www.police-supplies.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&review=write&productId=175

Yeah, that;s what i thought, but I didn't see any kit on it, so I was wondering if thery is some other purpose to it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The idea is it helps prevent back problems compared to carrying all the gear on a belt.

How much of their own gear would the gardai buy? Or would be allowed to buy?

In US they can even use their own guns as far as i know, in UK they can personalise it to a certain extent as well, how is it here?

I'm not talking about stuff like rigid cuffs or a better antistab vest, but what about this gear vest for example? I don't think I've ever seen Gardai wearing one of those.

• Advertisement

How much of their own gear would the gardai buy? Or would be allowed to buy?

In US they can even use their own guns as far as i know, in UK they can personalise it to a certain extent as well, how is it here?

I'm not talking about stuff like rigid cuffs or a better antistab vest, but what about this gear vest for example? I don't think I've ever seen Gardai wearing one of those.

We are not issued with as much equipment as either the US or UK guys so we dont need anything other than belt and standard vest.

You can personalise once the items are legal, an example being what I carry:

Vest carries the radio

Belt clockwise: handcuffs, surgical gloves, 2nd cuffs, medical kit, search gloves, multi-tool, utility pouch for notebook and ticket book and finally ASP.

Just about fits all that and I carry more than I need on a daily basis, half of it is more for 'just in case' scenarios. Most dont have second cuffs, multi tool or search gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

What happens if 2 Gardai in a small rural town are forced to use their Tasers on,lets say,2 males who attempted to assault them.Their friends then 'jump in'.What happens next?The 2 Gardai have deployed their Tasers so they have to deal with the 2 incapcitated suspects,but now they have to deal w/ everyone else.If they can't get to the 2 suspects that means they have time to recover and escape/or kick off again.It is a nightmare situ,but is it impossible?

With CS,they could target ALL aggressive suspects and then attempt to subdue the original 2 males.Also,there is no reloading a CS canister in the heat of the moment,unlike a Taser.
    From a civvie POV,would it not be better to give Tasers to city/large town Gardai and CS to rural Gardai?Regarding city,if Taser was used,back-up could be on scene in minutes.With rural situ,CS could be used..target suspects arrested,then move off and wait for reinforcements?

I went to the Garda College Open Day yesterday, and this is what they had on display:

gardavolvo.jpg

It looked really good, check out cool light on the roof. It was all leather inside too. Which I thought was kind of weird extra to be spending money on in the police car.

It has a dublin reg, but I didn't see it here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

I went to the Garda College Open Day yesterday, and this is what they had on display:

gardavolvo.jpg

It looked really good, check out cool light on the roof. It was all leather inside too. Which I thought was kind of weird extra to be spending money on in the police car.

all garda vehicles have garda regs as far as i know
    oh and ya cool car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

gardavolvo.jpg

Looks like a demonstrator. Volvo lend it to police forces hoping theyll buy it.

Look close, generic battenburg, minimal garda markings, no traffic corps labeling, no crest, no garda confidential number, or identification on the roof etc

This is quite common to see in the uk, not seen it here but thats what i say it is

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Looks like a demonstrator. Volvo lend it to police forces hoping theyll buy it.

Look close, generic battenburg, minimal garda markings, no traffic corps labeling, no crest, no garda confidential number, or identification on the roof etc

This is quite common to see in the uk, not seen it here but thats what i say it is

Hm, never thought of it. Didn't actually know that it's happening. How would that work?

Volvo, ford etc loan the car to the force, let them try it out see how it is for the job in the hope theyll put in an order.

Order from a police force is a big thing, the numbers of cars, parts, services etc etc €€€€€

Volvo, ford etc loan the car to the force, let them try it out see how it is for the job in the hope theyll put in an order.

Order from a police force is a big thing, the numbers of cars, parts, services etc etc €€€€€

Would the car be actuall used on duty, or just for the occasions like open day in the college?

As far as i know it'd be used on duty and then the officers who use it give feed back on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

We've used demonstrators, and yes we used em operationally. They were great because they were usually vehicles that the force would never opt for (on account of cash) so you got to drive tasty motors for a while, feed back positive stuff about em only to watch the force opt for something cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

Mutz wrote: »
    What he means is that a mondeo handles better than a focus at high speeds, therefore safer at those speeds when the need arises.

Wishlist :)

Cars
    Cars need to be made standard - forget the competition laws as its down to safety. Standardise to Mondeo/Volvo S40/Vectra 1.8litre minimum. Forget smaller cars as they are just not safe or capable for the job. They need to be specially fitted with:

> Durable and simple siren and light control (seriously - some of the panels are rediculous! The new ones are fairly good but some old ones are still around)
    > Built in Radio Panel (not attached somewhere down by your leg or under the handbreak!)
    > Sufficient Emergency Lighting (extra lights on the front grille, front and rear quarter panels - you can't have too many lights for some people!)
    > Onboard Computer for doing person (including photo's) and registration checks (this would increase productivity for patrols and reduce workload and dependency on the station or controller and also reduce radio chatter)
    > Mobile Phone (Extremely important for communications - in fact invaluable - have cradle included instead of signing phones out on each shift and having the phones loose in the car and then loosing them)
    > Soil proof rear seat for prisoners (like what the cops in the US have and put a cage to seperate the prisoner from front passengers (this would also protect gardai from malicious claims and will alllow violent prisoners to calm down while in transit to garda stations)
    > On Board camera front and rear to protect Gardai from bull**** complaints
    > Introduce driving courses while on training on phase 3. Whats the problem with introducing this? Its such a big problem - everyone should be able to drive and use a pushbike.

Uniform
    Get Rid of the Shirts, ties, trousers and maybe change them for polo shirts or polo necks and combat trousers. Running after scum can really chafe! :D Collar burn on the neck, split trousers, ripped shirts and ties torm off! Its a bit impractical.

Organisation
    > Fair and transparent promotion and interview proceedures. Nepotism is still very much alive in the organisation. In my opinion and it is probably shared, I have seen many excellent Gardai get disillusioned when an Officers son/daughter (who may or may not be better suited) is chosen in their place.
    > Officers who aren't afraid to make decisions. What a breath of fresh air it is to meet a kick ass Sergeant, Inspector or Superintendent who is not afraid to get stuck in with the lads.
    > Schduled fitness tests. As the job is extremely demanding, this should be introduced. Allowances should be introduced as an incentive.

Technology
    > Email please, please, please. Eliminate paper!
    > Make PULSE Web Based - its so slow as it has to load onto the pc each time from the central location.
    > Individually issued radios to members (sometimes been forced to go without! Imagine getting into a hairy situation in that case)
    > Every prisoner gets photographed and fingerprinted. It would help in solving burglaries/ stolen cars/ criminal damage etc. these can then be fed directly into a database from the station! The current system is a nighmare where the above need to be submitted seperately to HQ
    >

Buildings/Stations
    Move away from the traditional station. Office buildings are far more suited. Most stations are overcapacity. No Guard has their own desk. Each Officer should have their own desk and pc to work from.

Weapons
    Not in favour of firearms, however, the asp and spray seem to work very well. Its a really big deal when a baton is used, so i think we're still a long way away from guns - thank the gods!

Criticisms Welcome! ;)

nice wish list... you'd have a better chance giving it to santa next December. The car issue is something that definitely has to be looked at though. it's a joke when you end up doing calls in the compol fiesta cos the station car is off the road.... never mind a ford focus... the safety issue of bigger cars is not just down to being faster. its to do with better suspension, handling, in-car safety systems etc etc.

metman wrote: »
    We've used demonstrators, and yes we used em operationally. They were great because they were usually vehicles that the force would never opt for (on account of cash) so you got to drive tasty motors for a while, feed back positive stuff about em only to watch the force opt for something cheaper!

German motorway police have few porsches at their disposal. That would be something.

So what kind of cars would you try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 trueblue76

lads - ive just been watchin the Oireachtas Report there on RTE( dont usually i swear but i heard the gaurds being mentioned so said id watch!!!:)) . there was a Finne Gael TD challenging the Minister for justice about the state of the equipment and the working conditions that the gardai are currently working under. In particular he mentioned the likes of no computers/laptops in cars, no email system, and also the fact of the various radio systems being tested for 2 years now without anything being introduced!! he went on to say that the criminals are better equipped than the gardai as they are traveling around in BMW 4x4's as well as having 17 year olds driving around with bullet proof vests on. i guess the guys that have been members for a while will agree with the above state of affairs judging by what has already being thrown up here. what i want to know is - does this sort of unprofessional approach not annoy the normal rank and file gardai that are out on the beat? Do gardai not get to air their concerns to Management or is it a case of deaf ears?

German motorway police have few porsches at their disposal. That would be something.

So what kind of cars would you try?

We operated a Honda Accord Type S demonstrator for a while, with basic police markings, non-force specific. Very nice it was too. We also ran a Vauxhall Astra estate for a while that the Transport Police have now adopted.

At present the Commish is looking at getting rid of the Vectras in favour of BMWs for all boroughs as area cars. On my old ground we used Vectras and they were rubbish. I prefer the BMs, sturdier and braking distance is far less than that of the Vectra. All round handling is better too.

The Flying Squad (Serious Crime Armed Detectives aka The Sweeney) have even nicer motors to play around with....Saabs, Audis, Mercs.....and so on, but as tactical firearms officers with a national remit they have a requirement for very high performance motors.

Speaking of demo cars, what about this for a pursuit vehicle?

ferrari.jpg
    LamboPolAngl.jpg
    Met Traffic Demonstrator

trueblue76 wrote: »
    he went on to say that the criminals are better equipped than the gardai as they are traveling around in BMW 4x4's as well as having 17 year olds driving around with bullet proof vests on. does this sort of unprofessional approach not annoy the normal rank and file gardai that are out on the beat? Do gardai not get to air their concerns to Management or is it a case of deaf ears?

Journalists write stories, be it for tv or for press, and what they write sometimes is fact, but more often its fiction. What you can be guaranteed is that their story will be geared towards selling papers or attracting/keeping viewers, not speaking the truth.

An Garda Siochana does indeed need serious investment in resources, technology and kit, but to suggest that the crims are better equipped than the police is nonsense. How many criminal gangs will test their mettle against the likes of the ERU? How many criminal gangs want to mix it up with local uniformed police? The answer to both questions is none.

I'm aware that certain gangs have access to serious firepower and aint short of a bob or two. That's reality. However the other reality is that people in these organisations tend to have a very short lifespan. They either wind up doing serious bird or wind up dead at the hands of the State or a 'competing business'.

It'd make for a more realistic story to say that Police are more concerned about how the courts let these slags back out onto the streets, flying in the face of common sense and good sentencing practice and how the Government seems to entertain every idiotic idea other than facing the fact that we need more prison spaces to lock up bad people, and that by locking up bad people you have less crime......:rolleyes:

Criminals are a cowardly lot and this is just more sensational nonsense.

/Rant.

I dont think its as bad as that story suggests. Yes some have guns, some wear vests and some have serious machines under their asses but not the majority.

As stated, papers run what will sell said paper. Afterall, today the paper will say the Gardai need more equipment, they are great guys doing their best and the government and courts need to back them up. Next week they will be moaning about tax payers money being wasted, lazy fat Gardai being corrupt and how we need accountability and more safe guards to keep an eye on them because all they do is beat people up.

Want a prime example? Compare May day to Love Ulster.

All I know is management couldnt give a **** what beat men say or what independent experts say. If they did we would already have spray and cages in cars instead of yet another working party, of office staff who havent been on the beat since they graduated, looking into it. Remember, it was a working party that decided the new uniform. The one thats had to be replaced twice now with better versions and still fails basic safety standards. The same uniform that was amended to suit the Minister for justice who will never ever have to wear or work in it.

I agree with Metman, the courts are the biggest problem. Not just in sentencing which is a joke: "You have 200 convictions but I believe that you really are sorry this time/ getting treatment / job and will therefore give you (another) suspended sentence (which will not be enacted no matter what) now off you go and dont be bold (again)". And thats from the judges that dont just blatantly hate the Gardai. ONce a judge decided that a flat complex grounds are Proivate property and because the Garda didnt have an arrest warrant the scumbag was entitled to kick the crap out of him in the name of self defence. Obviously scumbags being allowed use far more aggressive 'self defence' than normal people.

Oh and Met, your arm would fall off writing reports if you crashed that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FGR

I know there were issues with the new uniform but (aside from the hi-vis and boots)most members are yet to receive any re-issue of the original which was released in July 05.

Hell; many patrol jackets are washed to the extent that the badge is faded on the front/back.

What amendments were required by the Minister..? If it's making the above jackets incompatible with the anti-stab vests and also provide the 'jolly pot belly' look then I will not be impressed.

I know there were issues with the new uniform but (aside from the hi-vis and boots)most members are yet to receive any re-issue of the original which was released in July 05.

Hell; many patrol jackets are washed to the extent that the badge is faded on the front/back.

What amendments were required by the Minister..? If it's making the above jackets incompatible with the anti-stab vests and also provide the 'jolly pot belly' look then I will not be impressed.

High vis jackets are on the 3rd edition. I know most havent gotten the 3rd edition which is more akin to traffic but they are on the way.

Epulettes which the buttons fell off, trousers which the arse came out of after 1 wash. Ties that bobbled. You didnt get replacements for them? Ok so not everything was replaced but they should be. Fleeces which the epulette holders rip off and are they meant to be that short? Patrol jackets 'Garda' patches lose their reflectiveness if washed but yes, havent been replaced.

Stab vests must be worn under jackets because the minister thought they were too aggressive. Ties must still be worn because the minister thought no ties were unprofessional and combat trousers were out because of McDowells famous 'robocop' statement. Baseball caps were kicked to touch but Im not sure I can completely blame McD for that, management had an input into that one.

Also, wont say why online but look at the high vis jacket warning on the label, if thats not against health and safety I dont know what is!

Jolly pot belly, must remember that one :p

Oh and Met, your arm would fall off writing reports if you crashed that! :D

:eek: I'd be a major shareholder in Bic Pens by the time I was finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Would the car be actuall used on duty, or just for the occasions like open day in the college?
    As far as i know it'd be used on duty and then the officers who use it give feed back on it.

This car is being used by the driving school at the college. I've seen it being driven by them. It does look cool though.

I have been reliably informed that a fleet of Volvos are on the way in too. Don't know how many but a serious amount of money is being spent on them. I've been told.

Advertisement