Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Age Card

• 03-11-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows why the online application for age card is not working or when it is due to start working again.

Wanted to apply went to station and they reffered me to their website, went on it, lets me fill in my details but does not let me to proceed to pay. I would have thought that if it was something big the woman in the station would have known beforehand.

Any advice ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

buyakasha wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows why the online application for age card is not working or when it is due to start working again.

Wanted to apply went to station and they reffered me to their website, went on it, lets me fill in my details but does not let me to proceed to pay. I would have thought that if it was something big the woman in the station would have known beforehand.

Any advice ?
    Thanks
    Online application ? How do they check your DOB?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 buyakasha

athlonelad wrote: »
    Online application ? How do they check your DOB?

You fill it all in there, pay for it then they will send you a half filled form that you will then bring to the station with your eg passport and then they send it to their centre and you should then receive the age card.

But the website is not working at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Thought age cards were useless in that a lot of places don't accept them?

I've never had one or been in a situation that I needed one, licence does the job for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Are you sure it's not working properly? Like what screen comes up when you try to pay?

I applied for mine a few months back and there was no hassle...find it had how much could have changed in that time unless they're doing some updates and if so there should be a notice up.

When you say "not working at all" do you mean the pay page or the whole website cuz I just went onto the site and everything looks fine.

I'd just try every few hours or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

The online application posts you out a written version of what you just filled in which you then have to bring into a garda station...

... that is the stupidist thing I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Tonto86 wrote: »
    The online application posts you out a written version of what you just filled in which you then have to bring into a garda station...

Well it's easier for them to have people do it online so that the machines that process the applications and cards can read the info easily...they process them in batches of a 1000 afaik...plus the whole payment thing is alot easier too when done online.

The only balls to it is the time it wastes if you need it in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

I've never had one or been in a situation that I needed one, licence does the job for me.

nope. they're accepted everywhere go anyway, more so then licences. plus they fit in your wallet nicely so they're pretty much a win-win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I have seen clubs with signs in Dublin drivers licence not an acceptable form of ID.

I have a passport that's only slightly out of date and I get dirty looks going into clubs and they want to see an ATM or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I have seen clubs with signs in Dublin drivers licence not an acceptable form of ID.

I have a passport that's only slightly out of date and I get dirty looks going into clubs and they want to see an ATM or something.

Really? I've never been refused with my drivers licence anywhere in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

My passport has never been refused but my age card has.
    Waste of time, money and plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stockey1994

The fuqin website is down the past 2 weeks

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never had my age card refused. Don't have my drivers licence so it's handy to have

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Mine always worked from me. They even accept it in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Well it's easier for them to have people do it online so that the machines that process the applications and cards can read the info easily...they process them in batches of a 1000 afaik...plus the whole payment thing is alot easier too when done online.

The only balls to it is the time it wastes if you need it in a hurry.

If they had been really clever the day they came up with that scheme, they could of just allowed people to fill in an online application, print it out and then go to the guarda. If needs be they could still pay online.

Rather than having to apply for a form, having to then wait for it to be sent out to your address, then sending it to the Guarda, who have to then send it back to where it orginally came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Says offline for maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

geetar wrote: »

nope. they're accepted everywhere go anyway, more so then licences. plus they fit in your wallet nicely so they're pretty much a win-win

Seems to be hit and miss with them tbh, I have friends who had them and were turned away from clubs or when buying drink etc

As I said I've never been turned away with my licence, full or provisional.

Haven't seen an age card in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

You fill it all in there, pay for it then they will send you a half filled form that you will then bring to the station with your eg passport and then they send it to their centre and you should then receive the age card.

But the website is not working at all.
    So it's posted out to you and then u bring it to station and then it gets posted back again. Seems like it might be easier to just fill in form in station and have your identity confirmed there and then. What a waste of time. Haven't been asked for ID in years and have no need for an age card. Wish they would make drivers license that don't look like a wad of pink toilet paper after carrying round in your pocket. Is it so hard to make a proper credit card size drivers license. Every other country can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 buyakasha

Well first of all not the whole website is down and like I said before it allows me to fill in my details but when clicking Proceed this message pops up:

An Error Occurred
    This section of the site is currently down for maintainence. Please try again later.

And that was my initial reason why I posted the question because there was no notice on the website or anywhere else (cause i did some research).

Yes I have tried on a number of occasions in a past few days, but with no luck.

Regards the process, I wish it was just as simple to go to the station and do it all there instead of this , but i guess its not up to me. Although its very frustrating when the website that they have to do the job is not even working.

And about the issue of ´´Is Age Card any good´´, I would rather give it a go and see if im let it into to the clubs with it then loose my only proper ID on the night out, that is the Passport, which would cost me more to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Kids...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

athlonelad wrote: »
    So it's posted out to you and then u bring it to station and then it gets posted back again. Seems like it might be easier to just fill in form in station and have your identity confirmed there and then. What a waste of time. Haven't been asked for ID in years and have no need for an age card. Wish they would make drivers license that don't look like a wad of pink toilet paper after carrying round in your pocket. Is it so hard to make a proper credit card size drivers license. Every other country can do it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0229/licence.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

They're actually the most widely accepted form of ID and in some places the only accepted form of ID as they are almost impossible to fake, there's too many security features. Passports tend to be passed around, as many passport photos might be 5/6 years old, many people use other peoples passports and apparently bouncers are aware of this but they do jack **** about it, and licences are way too easy to fake, I mean 99% of fake IDs are licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

And about the issue of ´´Is Age Card any good´´, I would rather give it a go and see if im let it into to the clubs with it then loose my only proper ID on the night out, that is the Passport, which would cost me more to replace.

Again it's actually the best form of ID to use in clubs for a number of reasons; 1) It has so many security features, you're never going to fake it.
    2) It's small, compact and fits easily in your wallet, you don't have to worry about loosing it.
    3) If you do lose it, well it only cost you 10E.
    4) In some places, like Tesco, the Garda age card is actually the only accepted form of ID.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tonto86 wrote: »

It is to ensure that money is not handled in the station itself. Was becoming a nightmare in terms of having to have change for applicants and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

If there's a number on the website call it and ask what the deal is

When I got mine a few months ago it was no trouble. & as for acceptance, nearly all clubs in my experience say licences are not accepted and that only government IDs are (age cards & passports). Well in Dublin anyway

Advertisement