Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work out square yards? - for tiles

• 29-10-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

how do I work out the in square yards - the amount of tiles I need for my kitchen?

I have measured each section of the walls that I want to tile in inches
    but don't know where to go from here.

can anyone advise?

Cheers

Scottie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

how do I work out the in square yards - the amount of tiles I need for my kitchen?

I have measured each section of the walls that I want to tile in inches
    but don't know where to go from here.

can anyone advise?

Cheers

Scottie

Have you calculated area in inches? Better to measure area in sq yards

Convert inches to yards (Inches / 36)
    Calculate area (L*B) , sq yards.
    Multiply by 1.10 (order 10% more to allow for cuts/breakage)

Though this is easier......
    Alternatively calculate area in sq metres, multiply by 1.2 to convert to sq yards.(and * 1.10 to allow 10% for breakage/cuts). Calculations are always simpler in metric...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Measure around the skirting the amount of wall you want to tile, say 16 feet and the height up you wish to tile say 8 foot.

Multiply 16 by 8 which gives you 128 square foot.

Subtract the size of windows / doors out of the total and divide the remainder by 9 to give you square yards.

Then multiply by 1.1 to allow for cutting. Then check how many square yards are in each box of tiles. divide the size of the box into the area to be tiled (after multiplying by 1.1) at round up the answer to get the number of boxes of tiles you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

thanks guys, all very useful info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

measured length in inches divided by 12 will give you feet
    eg. 144 inches = 12 feet.

do the same for the width and multiply the two, then divide the answer by 9 to give you the sq yardage!

EG room measures 144 inches by 120 inches
    = 12 feet by 10 feet
    = 120 square feet
    = 13.33 square yards

Advertisement