Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amp advice...

Options
  • 10-06-2006 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Alrite, here's my situation...

I own a Line 6 Pod XT, a footswitch for which is soon to be bought once i get my tax back, and an Epiphone Les Paul, all of which I am in love with.

But the thing is, despite the excellent tones the POD give me, I need to make em loud enough for gigging! I need an amp that will amplify the tones decently, without colouring them too much, if ya get what I mean. I've been told the best way to do this is to get a decent keyboard amp, but am not quite sure yet. Can anyone give me any advice on this? It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

A Roland Jazz Chorus could do that for you decently I'll wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

How about this

http://atomicamps.com/
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_atomic_reactor_112_podxt_gitarrencombo_prodinfo.html

18w all valve power (plenty loud), you get tube tone plus all the benefits of your modeller, havent used one but i'd like one for my tonelab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Given that the modeller is probably trying to give tube tone already I suspect adding actual valves might do more harm than good. I'd say get an active fullrange speaker, and leave the sound entirely up to the POD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

No i've heard that the atomic amps are really transparent and have high headroom for 18w and have a fullrange speaker. You can run through the PA live anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

You can run through the PA live anyway.

Yeah, but having a dedicated monitor is pretty essential for a guitar sound, in any situation.
    No i've heard that the atomic amps are really transparent and have high headroom for 18w and have a fullrange speaker.

Well, if it is really transparent it would defeat the purpose of it more than a little. Valve "character" is not really transparent. I'm sure it has reasonable headroom, 18w in a valve amp is a nice amount. It has a single 12" speaker, so fullrange it is not. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool.

My point really is that if the modeller actually does what it's trying to do, anything but a completely linear output stage is going to undermine the function of said modeller. But I'd accept the argument that a valve power stage would enhance the sound of the modeller, because it's not really that great to begin with. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

My point really is that if the modeller actually does what it's trying to do, anything but a completely linear output stage is going to undermine the function of said modeller. But I'd accept the argument that a valve power stage would enhance the sound of the modeller, because it's not really that great to begin with. :)

Thats why they give us output selections etc. on pod xt

Advertisement