Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike parts for trade?

• 25-09-2006 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Maybe this will take off... how about a bike goods for bike goods trade?

I have...

This stuff could be useful building up an MTB for commuting on the cheap.
    • Used Bontrager MTB Stem will fits all 1& 1/8th. ok shape. Will post pic and specs later.
    • Very used no-brand alu MTB flat bar - looks terrible but works great. Guaranteed to put a bike thief off going near your bike. Suitable for road use or lght XC, I wouldn't trust it on downhills.
    • Almost new MTB Bontrager riser bar - has about 10 miles on it, if that. Practically perfect condition.
    • Very used but working Wellgo WPD 801 clipless pedals. Again, very used in appearance but working fine.
    • Suspension fork: Insync Grind 323, crappy stock fork from Trek 4300. 2 years old, lots of mileage on it, *badly in need of service* unless you like your suspension almost rigid. Fits any standard MTB frame.

I want ...

Anything to finish building up a road bike. I dont particularly care how it looks so long as it's functional and works without being dangerous.
    • drop bars,
    • stem,
    • headset,
    • bar tape,
    • saddle.

So, post up what you've got hanging about and maybe we can clear out our garages and help each other out at the same time. No cash involved: swap bike stuff for bike stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jayj

is that is dots??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hmmm, I've got.
    Rear XC wheel with 8pd casette
    2*suspension forks, one disc only think it's 80mm Axel something or other.
    One 63mm chili fork, disc and v mounts.
    Front wheel, disc only + rotor.
    Few tyres (mtb)
    Old saddle and seatpost.
    V-brakes
    Shifters etc and an old drive train but I'm not sure it would be worth putting on a bike, haven't had a look at it.
    Giant front disc brake, needs oil, pads in good nic.
    I need a new DH stem, I'll get the measurements again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Can you give details on the saddle & seatpost? What MTB tyres and condition?

I do have a stem I forgot to mention that might suit you if you're changing your bars soon - dumb mistake I made, I bought it then realised it was the wrong clamp size for my MTB bars. Edit: 55mm long stem, 22.2mm clamp (aka bmx size). Doesn't fit "oversize clamp" bars.

tnm_ALAB_G3.JPG

Would work well with many of the riser bars on here - check clamp size: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=202

I'll have a look in the garage and take some pics this evening. I would imagine the seatpost it too wide for any roadbike though. What length is the stem you bought, I'll measure my bars later but from memory they're quite skinny.

What are the sizes for bars - they are damn hard to measure. Mine seem to be aprox. 25mm in DIAMETER, wasn't sure what to measure and only had tense tape. If your stem would fit I'm definately interested, I'd want to see how long mine is at the moment is first though. I only managed to take a few crap shots of stuff, I'll try and measure stuff properly and take some decent photos in the next day or two.
    I did manage to find a stem though, I have bars to go with it also but I haven't measured them either I'm afraid. Nothing special anyway.
    I've attatched a pic aswell as a pic of two tyres, one on the disc wheel and another pic of the seatpost (forgot to measure it) but I don't think it's much use to anyone really.

• Advertisement

I think the measurement is diameter, but taken in the very centre where the stem will clam. If your bars are 25 at the end then they'll be too big unfortunately.

The stem I have is the 55mm length. It's beautiful - I was tempted to buy some new bars to suit it actually :)

I also have
    • platform pedals - black alum, used
    • 26" front and rear wheels incl slick tyres

Not sure I want to get rid of these, but if anyone has something I badly need I'd consider it.

hi, am selling ...

Hmmm, swap not sell. There's an adverts place for selling.

hi there, ya id swap what ya got??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Have these for swap...
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=102&idproduct=9033
    Bought them new with roadbike about 4 months ago as I had SPDs from my MTB. Moved to LOOK pedals on the road bike a while back, so have no use for these anymore.

And these...
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4256
    Bought set of SPDs without a platform after about a years commuting use.

Cleats not included in either of the pedals as they are worn down at this stage.

Will consider any fair offer. If nothing comes up I'll stick em for sale on adverts.

Will get pictures of them at the weekend

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Hi there, looking for a set of wheels for my racer. Its about 30 years old, and the rear axle is losing its threads so the wheel doesn't stay aligned too well.

I'm really looking for a set of older racing wheels if possible?

Hoping somebody might have an old bike for spares somewhere, and wouldn't mind losing their wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zebrawombat

Ithink I have some sprints in the attic GP 4's probably.
    Have you got some tubular tyres?

eh..

I'd love to say yes, but i don't know what they are...

Not really too well versed in biking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jethro

Hi,
    Does anyone know if it would be ok to put a set of hybrid type tyres on a racing bike. The racer i have is aluminium frame, not too high a spec. I was looking at the price of new hybrids, some cost around 600 euro. You would think if you got a decent second hand racer weighing around 10 kgs and put some thicker tyres on it, that it would be cheaper.

Does anyone know if this would work?

It can work, sure. Your main concern is clearance - i.e. will the larger tyres spin in the frame or get stuck.

I'd suggest you bring it to a shop and ask them what the largest tyres it will take, and what they recommend for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have straight bars of a Specialized Sirrus, Body Geometry grips and Ritchey bar-ends. Also Shimano V-Brakes together with cables, brake levers and 27-speed gear shifters. Don't know who might want this, maybe someone converting an old racer to straight handlebars?

In terms of what I want, hmm, all sorts of bike nick-nacks/clothes/etc. What you got? Also thinking of getting a carbon road bike but in fairness probably wouldn't be a fair swap for my old handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

King Raam- do you still have those touring pedals? Have you ever used normal double-sided SPD? Are those ones less likely to result in sore feet over long distances? How would you compare them to your current Look ones?

blorg wrote:
    King Raam- do you still have those touring pedals? Have you ever used normal double-sided SPD? Are those ones less likely to result in sore feet over long distances? How would you compare them to your current Look ones?

Hi Blorg,
    I still have both sets. I have used two different sets of double-sided SPDs. One pair is those in my earlier post, the other are these http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4257
    The M520 are currently on my MTB, but I'll be hanging on to those.

I don't know about the likelihood of sore feet over long distances. The reason I got the A520 is because when I got my roadbike, I already had MTB shoes and was used to SPDs, so I thought I'd get used to the new bike before getting LOOK. I ultimately wanted the LOOK ones because I'm informed that they give better power transfer.

I've only been using the LOOKs for a few weeks, but so far so good. I've been on long cycles with them and I'm happy with them.
    I've never used the A520 over long distances, only for commuting, but I did find them more comfortable and easier to engage/disengage than the M424. Also, they aren't as chunky looking. All in all, a good un-fussy pedal

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

im looking for some 2nd racers for some friends we have a charity cycle coming up

E@gle - they're a b!tch to find. Your best bet in Dublin is City Cycles on Fairview - give 'em a phone call. Also Little Sport (same area).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jel

Hi,

I am trying to find the appropriate forum as to where I can sell my bike, but am confused.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
    James.

you can try www.adverts.ie

although some people still post them in this forum, not sure if the mods frown on that though

It's ok to post bikes on the cycling forum, particularly if they're mid-high end (typically people on general forums won't understand how a bike is priced more than 500 quid).

Make sure you include as much info as possible - the model, year and size, and any modifications made. A picture's dead handy if you're not sure.

Looking for a rear Derailleur for an old peugot road bike..

I don't have much to offer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I need a one piece seatpost for my singlespeed project bike. It's a Peugeot with what I believe to be a 24.8mm seatpost size. I already have the steel post and seperate clamp affair that came with it, but I'd like an alloy one piece setup instead. If anyone has one they'll sell/swap bits for, or knows where I can get one for a reasonable price, let me know please! Thanks, Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Gil_Dub wrote:
    I need a one piece seatpost for my singlespeed project bike. It's a Peugeot with what I believe to be a 24.8mm seatpost size. I already have the steel post and seperate clamp affair that came with it, but I'd like an alloy one piece setup instead. If anyone has one they'll sell/swap bits for, or knows where I can get one for a reasonable price, let me know please! Thanks, Gil

I have a old black x-lite seatpost but at 25.2mm not sure if it would fit.The other problem is that its permanently attached to a grey Velo racing saddle which is OK but has seen better days. Problem is one of the 3 allen bolts attaching the saddle to the post has worn out at the top so it would have to be drilled out if you want to get the saddle off. But the saddle can be adjusted ok.

Yours free to take away if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Thanks anyway lad, but I've already tried a 25.2 and a 25.0 (the smallest sizes I can find)....And they're both too big. I could try sanding down a 25.2, but I'd rather find a genuine, unmolested, 24.8 seatpost if at all possible :)

Piece of advice on the X-Lite (I always wanted X-lite bling bling), try soaking the seized allen bolt with some acetone....Should sort it if it's just corrosion, at least enough to get it out and clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Hi

I have:

1 a WTB Speed V saddle in excellent condition. Very comfy

2 an on-one mungo handle bar. Nearly new condition.

3 A few other small bits - just ask.

Would be interested in bits and bobs for a road bike i'm building up, particularly brakes and brake levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Hi guys anybody looking to sell an old road bike??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

Hi all.

I broke down my rear derailleur yesterday while cycling in the way to the job. If anyone has a spare one that would like to sell, a shimano 105 model or similar, let me know. It has to be a short cage one, or otherwise to big for me.

Thanks a mil

Advertisement