Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help replacing Nintedo Ds lite screen

• 24-04-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi I am looking for some help please I have just recieved 2 new upper screens ( in case of accidents as i have never done this ) for my sons ds lite I also got the special screwdriver for it now the problem is I can't seem to get soldering paste anywhere:o any help with this would be appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Serena08 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for some help please I have just recieved 2 new upper screens ( in case of accidents as i have never done this ) for my sons ds lite I also got the special screwdriver for it now the problem is I can't seem to get soldering paste anywhere:o any help with this would be appreciated:D

I really don't think you need soldering paste? Is it Flux you are looking for? I would also be wary about soldering on small circuit boards if you don't have much experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Serena08

I really don't think you need soldering paste? Is it Flux you are looking for? I would also be wary about soldering on small circuit boards if you don't have much experience.

I think you could be right I have no clue what i am doing I just thought this would be a cheap and easy repair I have just looked at some of the instruction videos on you tube and now realise ther is no way I could do this :eek:

If anyone knows anyone in Dublin capable of doing repairs please pm me details :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Serena, send a PM to witnessmenow... he's very helpful and fixes DS's's's regularly.

This is his site: http://www.consoledoc.com/

Thanks Mr E:D I saw another thread that witnessmenow had psoted in and I contacted him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi again serena,

If you think you can do everything else in the video i really wouldn't let the soldering part get in the way. Im not just saying it because i can solder but it really is easy soldering points.

If you open the new screen up on the ribbon cable near the screen there is four gold rectangles, these are your 4 solder points. Just place your solder iron on the point, then touch both the point and the soldering iron with some solder (the solder conducts heat so make sure you dont hold it too close to where your touching it off the soldering iron!) and it will melt and spread around the point. Remove the speakers form the old screen by grabbing each wire with your hands and gently "tugging" on them, as you are pulling them touch the soldering iron off the connection and will come apart.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice it sounds so really easy coming from you;) but the videos put me rite off LOL I am a bit of a chicken:D I am no good with small parts all fingers and thumbs tbh i think I could really make a mess of it . I really should have researched it more before ordering the screens I have found a couple of places in dublin I can get quotes from lol so much for a cheap and cheerful fix .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Thanks for the advice it sounds so really easy coming from you;) but the videos put me rite off LOL I am a bit of a chicken:D I am no good with small parts all fingers and thumbs tbh i think I could really make a mess of it . I really should have researched it more before ordering the screens I have found a couple of places in dublin I can get quotes from lol so much for a cheap and cheerful fix .

The DS is a pain to fix. PSP screen is no problem, ds.. everything is a nightmare. You should ask them for a price if you supply the screen. I hope you bought the screen from dealsextreme? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RikusHaven

I have the same problem with a couple of my DS Lites, yes, I said a couple. Haha. Anyways, I bought two replacement screens for two of the DS Lites that need it, and I bought a soldering iron, and the screw drivers to pop open the DS Lites and a new housing and a hinge fix set and fuses for one of the DS Lites that has the fuses blown (F1 and F2 I believe). Now, soldering doesn't scare me, what I am having problems with is how to solder the speaker wires to the new screen. I am guessing I need some solder or solder paste right? Any recommendation on what to buy? I'm a complete newbie at this, but I'm not afraid to learn, already looking at buying some copper bearing soldering paste, but I'm not sure if that will do the trick.

Here is a picture of what I am dealing with, it is the same for the other DS Lite, and while it may be a bit of a mess in picture, I can deal with it.
    Picture (1600x1200)

The first circle is me removing the speaker wires from the old lcd screen by using my soldering iron and let it melt and then pulling it off, and the second circle is the new lcd screen where I plan to solder the wire speakers, and the third is the old lcd, with the other pair of speaker wires still attached to it, cause I don't know what to do,, thinking I need some soldering paste or something. So confused, any help is appreciated!

Oh, and on the comment on PSPs being easier to fix, you are soooo right, I can fix PSPs no problem, but these DS Lites are killing me! Good thing they are not from customers and are just broken DS Lites given to me haha. If I fix them, I will have 3 DS Lites to sell, if I dont, well at least I learned the ins and out of DS Lites, of course, I had to spend money buying some parts.

Kernel wrote: »
    The DS is a pain to fix. PSP screen is no problem, ds.. everything is a nightmare. You should ask them for a price if you supply the screen. I hope you bought the screen from dealsextreme? :)

Yes Kernel I bought the screens fron dealextrema also a couple of ds protective covers and the screwdriver total cost €21 so not bad at aI have had one quote back just looking for €45 to fit new screen that i Supply It think I will shop around a little more :D cheers M8

Best of luck to you RikusHaven I hope you get it sorted I really don't know that much about it hun but I was looking for the soldering paste as an alternative to having to use the soldering irons as I have never done it before and don't own one I read it in instructions on how to change it on Dealextreme website :D

Best of luck to you RikusHaven I hope you get it sorted I really don't know that much about it hun but I was looking for the soldering paste as an alternative to having to use the soldering irons as I have never done it before and don't own one I read it in instructions on how to change it on Dealextreme website :D
    I'm still confused on this too haha. But I'm not afraid to learn or wreck these DS Lites. It's all part of learning, well I think, haha.

So, anyone know what kind of solder or solder paste to use with my soldering iron to hook it up with the new screen? I'm so confused on this, anyways, thanks in advance to anybody who helps out this newbie right here. :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi Rikus,

Just plain old solder will do the trick, You can get it Maplin, but I've also gotten some in places like B&Q too. Once you have the solder just follow my steps in one of the above posts and you'll be grand :)

Remember that red is + and black is -.

Hope this helps.

Serena,

That quote is pretty bad! If you are willing to wait (till may 15th) and willing to post I will do it for €25 + €5 for return postage, If you send both screens you can take €7 off the price.

Okay, thanks, I'll go get some then. Hopefully nothing goes wrong, thanks witnessmenow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

ds lite

its cost some money to ship it uk but nintendo uk will repair it for free because every nintendo device gets 2 year warranty guarantee along you live in Uk and ROI.

Advertisement