Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which way will you vote (if at all)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cglanton123

I never really liked Bertie But that is a whole new THREAD so I'll stop now!! Yes, but HE WAS FF until unaccountable reasons!! if we started a thread on polititions and taoisigh we would get ALOT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I never really liked Bertie But that is a whole new THREAD so I'll stop now!! Yes, but HE WAS FF until unaccountable reasons!! if we started a thread on polititions and taoisigh we would get ALOT!!!

Yep. And none of it would be relevant to the topic at hand.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN ????????????????????????????/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

What what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

What dumbass would vote on the treaty when we could kick FF ass around the floor for a bit? Surely personal gratification is more important than proper governing? :rolleyes:

Well said sink VERY WELL said personally i agree/!! ha FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭VoidStarNull

Many people in Ireland always vote for FF in the elections, no matter what. Even if they're pissed with the government they still have to make sure their boyos get in.

So they only get the chance to poke FF in the eye during treaty referenda. It's an easy choice since they're not supporting FG and Lab by doing so. And who knows/cares what the bloody treaty is about, anyway! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think the boards poll may be slightly flawed now as it had an 80 % turnout. Guess it's down to which sides voters decided there was something better on tv. If nothing else it's a sad day when only 40 ish % turned out even if it was expected

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think the boards poll may be slightly flawed now as it had an 80 % turnout. Guess it's down to which sides voters decided there was something better on tv. If nothing else it's a sad day when only 40 ish % turned out even if it was expected
    It's irritating when you see how much effort both sides put in discussing the issue here, that most of the rest of the country didn't give a monkey's :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

conkeroo wrote: »
    Then I think it all depends on what a person believes is the right way forward. I think the problem is, and i'm not saying I have a solution, is that theres so many pros and cons within the treaty yet people have to make a broadsweeping decision to cover the entirity of the treay. Yes or No. As a No voter, from everthing i've read to day (and I have learned a lot), certain aspects I simply couldn't support. If that means, as I was saying earlier, I must accept the consequences of a No vote in the HOPE another deal (as it were) can be done, then so be it. Putting all your eggs in one basket, not knowing what's in those eggs, I wasn't prepared to do.

While I understand that point of view, when trying to negotiate a Treaty with 26 other nations we're never, ever going to get 100% of what we want and therefore we will always have to weigh up pro's and cons. Its the nature of the beast. If you're holding out for more then you need to know exactly what that "more" is. And I've yet to have someone tell me what more we can get from the Treaty. And I've asked and asked. I don't think we can get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Now, I don't know if the post is entirely correct, but at least it's a balanced overview of what's happening in relation to the Lisbon Referendum. There is a certain amout of drama and scare mongering, but I when I hear people at work talking about Lisbon, those on the No side tend to be well informed and reasoned, while a lot of those on the Yes side are not sure what they are voting on. They go with the view that Europe has been good for Ireland, so a vote for Europe is automatically is Ireland's best interests.

From the very start, I was very suspicious about the way in which our politicians were brow beating us into a Yes vote for Lisbon. To me, this flouts the priciples of our democracy. I wondered how could I trust these people and what they were telling me.

Also, why do EU negotiations take place behind closed doors - why can't the EU citizens see how their representatives perform - surely this would make bullying on the part of the bigger states a lot more difficult. Now, I was told that Lisbon will do away with negotiations behind closed doors, but the fact remains that Lisbon itself was negotiated behind closed doors. Now, what I think should happen is that a new EU constitution should be negotiated from scratch and in full view of the public. Such a constitution would need to include complete transparency, accountability and democracy. That is where I stand in relation to the EU.

Regards!

In two seperate posts you've said things like "I can only imagine what the EU Lisbon Treaty looks like" and "I don't know if the post is entirely correct". In other words you haven't a clue about the issues. If you spent some time reading here you would see that many Yes supporters did argue their case very well, and in fact while there were No voters who had genuine issues, most No voters were like yourself. They just didn't know the facts.

Its a sad day for democracy when people like yourself, who are admittedly ignorant of the issues at hand, are not just voting but being abusive to people who have bothered honouring their responsibilities to democracy. Namely understanding the issue before voting.

Regardless of the result today I think this entire referendum has been nothing short of a democratic tragedy. Two campaigns with no substance and a huge amount of the electorate ignorant to the issues even though the info was available for them to familiarise themselves with it. And over the last few years we've seen people in Iraq braving death to vote and politicians braving death in places like Pakistan and Zimbabwe to bring true democracy to their people. Is this what these people are ultimately dying for? Is this what the boys from 1916 and the War of Independance fought and died for?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

oh well people. oh well. if this straw poll holds true its gonna be a tight but decided No Vote. Stalling progress? Well, yes, because nothing will be going forward. But at the same time you'll hopefully be getting an easier to understand, ratified version of the treaty to vote on later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What what?

In the butt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

It's going to be tight, but I'm very hopeful that the No side will win. Not counting my chickens just yet though.

Tallies for some the of Dublin Constituencies show a strong Yes - Dun Laoghaire looks like 60% Yes, while Cork North Central looks like a 65% No.

I was really nervous this morning and still am! I believe that this referendum is a vote on true democracy - the Lisbon Treaty seems far to vague for my liking.

Let's build a better Europe together! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I&P,

This article says different....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhgbojidojgb/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

First result is in: 53/47 in favour of No in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Let's build a better Europe together! :)

You, along with absolutely everyone who's voted No, have failed to come out with a clear consensus on how we should go about doing that.

Waterford - No - 53% Yes - 47%

Look here... good setup by RTE ...

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0613/breaking1.htm

The EU renamed it and repackaged it.... we are going to reject it by the looks of things... it might not even be that close by the looks of it...

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0613/breaking60.htm

Possibly more devastated than anyone elese by the emerging No vote... what a hoot !

• Advertisement

bauderline wrote: »
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0613/breaking60.htm

Possibly more devastated than anyone elese by the emerging No vote... what a hoot !
    Wouldn't surprise me if PP planned it as a stunt to pull in more punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

There was a time when I believed everything my parents told me , life was easier then .

I was obviously quiet naive for a long time as I believed the main broadsheets when they reported on all things political or worldly so too the TV news programs . I never once questioned their reporting , only the quotes given to them . Then one day while imprisoned on a journey in my car I heard a speech made by a certain person over the radio . Twenty minutes later the News came on and they reported what had been said ... and right there and then I was hit by a bolt of lightning . I had heard the speech and it was not the same as what was reported , a variation of it yes , but not the same and parts of it out of context . It actually made me very angry .The news for the rest of the week followed a similar vein .

Worse that that it made my life very hard because I lost , at a late age I might add , a certain innocence and at that time did not see the massive impact it would have later on in almost everything in my life .

So , on to the vote . I read the booklets , the leaflets , heard the interviews , read the web , tried to follow the arguments and tried to get an understanding for what it was all about . My problem , I didn't believe any sides argument and had developed so much mistrust that I ended up not even voting ..

In this age of Information , where anyone can post an opinion and state it as fact we are left to make up our own minds , easy enough for a lot of things , but when it comes to things as complex as the Lisbon Treaty ( which I heard a lot of experts struggle over ) it really becomes a problem .

I wonder how many others were effected in this way .

This is a post for the Lisbon Treaty but I also think I might post it as a topic of conversation in another section where the whole mistrust aspect could be discussed ... not really sure where it would suit though .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Looks like the poll reflected the result, 54.24% voted No after normalisation.

Yeah 45.75% -v- 54.25%

Amazingly similar for once. :)

Good sample too. This forum thing might work out as an indicator in future, after all.

Just need to have fair/logical questions.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm not sure what to say.... I'm scared, somebody hold me. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac 79

just wondering if this tread was sent to the politican's they could see why we voted no and do somehing about it, seeing as they are stumped it might help.
    i personally didnt like the fact of giving power to the eu government without voting them in (true or untrue i don't know anymore:confused: i tried to inform myself but nothing was clear) and then ther's the threat's from europe this is supposed to be a democracy:mad:,that was the straw that broke the camel's back it swayed me to the no side i was 50/50 before i read that.

anywho that's just my two cent's

oh ya i'm very much in favour of europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

cornbb wrote: »
    You, along with absolutely everyone who's voted No, have failed to come out with a clear consensus on how we should go about doing that.

Ok! ;)

Firstly, the current Lisbon and former EU constitution proposals should be torn up and binned.

Now, a completely new EU constitution should be negotiated in full public view and with far greater public input. No part of the resulting document should refer directly to military or economic matters. Any constitution's function should be to protect the rights of individuals and society, and to define the nation which it governs.

Such a document should also enshrine complete transparency in the operation of the EU, total accountability on the part of EU officials and politicians, and direct democracy - the president and commission should be directly elected by the people of Europe. The parliament should be elected on the basis of EU mandate only and should have nothing to do with national political parties. This way, the people would have a much clearer idea of policies regarding EU candidates whom they happen to be voting for.

Also, public involvement would help weigh up conflicting interests such as the rights of workers and the rights of consumers, the rights of property owners and the rights of all EU citizens to shelter. We need to work out a way in which the EU economy is totally inclusive and fair to all - an EU in which the basics for survival are reasonably easy to acquire - no more economic extortion pratices like those evident in our property and financial industries here.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Vote YES next time or else
    14062008247_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Auditor #9

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah 45.75% -v- 54.25%

Amazingly similar for once. :)

Good sample too. This forum thing might work out as an indicator in future, after all.

Just need to have fair/logical questions.
    Well done to boards - I refreshed the page above for hours that night :rolleyes: - there were a few other polls around on other websites but this turned out to be most accurate. Something this board should be conscious of as a very serious strength in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Auditor #9

It's possibly a bit too early for a poll on another Lisbon referendum but it might be interesting if the questions were qualified on changes to the existing treaty.

Wny don't you go for one anyway :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement