Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice please.

Options
  • 24-08-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I have a tv bought in Argos in 2010 which is now not working. I was wondering what would be considered a reasonable life time for a tv. I haven't been in touch with Argos yet, I don't have the receipt or any proof of purchase, so am unsure what to do. Thinking of contacting the Consumer Agency. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Not a lot. You would have to prove when and where you bought it with a receipt. Also, to get anything after such a long period of time you would have to prove that it was faulty at the time of purchase / broke due to the design of the product, and not due to wear and tear that occurred whilst you've owned it. The cost of the TV would also be taken into account (expensive goods could be expected to last longer).

You would only be entitled to the residual value (how much it's worth after 4 years).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've up to six years under legislation and its a manufacturing fault but if it's a cheap TV the residual value will be buttons and not worth the effort. If its an Argos own brand (Bush, and others), I would realistically not expect it to last 4 year anyway. Additonally, a lot of failures of flat panel TVs are due to dust buildup and not manufacturing faults at all.

With no receipt and four years after the fact, just buy a new TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't very optimistic about it. Put it down to bad luck and move on. It was a Bush tv, on offer, so maybe that should have set the alarm bells ringing. Live and learn. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

were Bush tv's not a good brand once? or is this just using the old Bush name being used for something new and cheaper?
    regardless of the make, I see no harm approaching argos about it, 4 years isnt a reasonable timeframe to expect a tv to last and the kind of places dust could get to, if that was the cause of the failure could hardly be described in a domestic environment to be the fault of the user in normal cases, couldnt really say a user could do much other than keep the outside of the tv clean as recommended as you cant open them.
    If other tvs last longer, then I would consider it a manufacturing/design fault if this brand couldnt withstand dust in a domestic situaton, assuming thats the fault.

If argos are the only ones selling them, they can hardly say you didnt buy it off them.

Id hardly have considered the residual value of a failed item to be the value Id be seeking or would be reasonable to replace the item with a like for like item now. If an item fails due to some flaw, then I need a like for like replacement, not the value of a secondhand item, which may or may not buy me an item I paid for.

It would only cost you a small claims application if Argos flat out rejected anything, even then, they may offer you something off the cost of a new tv? which may satisfy you?
    Be polite but firm, ensure you are speaking with a manager or someone that can deal with the enquiry, if you think its not reasonable, dont let any rejection put you off, tell them so and that it would only cost you 25 euro for a scc application which you'd prefer not to do, they might offer you something or maybe suggest it, to assuage your dissatisfaction?
    If they offer you nothing, and you dont come out on top in the SCC then at least you tried,
    or you might be offered a full replacement (maybe not as likely) or maybe they have some shop soiled item you could take? or a contribution to a new tv or maybe you'd win in the SCC?
    Worth a try, I think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cerastes wrote: »
    were Bush tv's not a good brand once?

About 40 years ago, yes.
    or is this just using the old Bush name being used for something new and cheaper?

Yes. Not even the first firm to buy and use the name on tat, Harvard Electronics owned it for years.

Generally, any "good brand" that you notice has reappeared after you didn't notice it for years is because it vanished and was bought to put on cheap (generally Turkish) electronics. Bush, Grundig, Nordemende, Goodmans, Wharfedale on anything other than speakers, etc.

Id hardly have considered the residual value of a failed item to be the value Id be seeking or would be reasonable to replace the item with a like for like item now.

That's all you're entitled to at this stage, though. And that won't be much - probably enough to buy the same item second hand though, as they don't hold value at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

madmaggie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I wasn't very optimistic about it. Put it down to bad luck and move on. It was a Bush tv, on offer, so maybe that should have set the alarm bells ringing. Live and learn. :rolleyes:
    what is the problem with the tv ????

MYOB wrote: »
    About 40 years ago, yes.

Yes. Not even the first firm to buy and use the name on tat, Harvard Electronics owned it for years.

Generally, any "good brand" that you notice has reappeared after you didn't notice it for years is because it vanished and was bought to put on cheap (generally Turkish) electronics. Bush, Grundig, Nordemende, Goodmans, Wharfedale on anything other than speakers, etc.

Grundig? Havent seen them in a while, I had a Grundig tv late 90's, great job, had it 10-11 years, and passed it on to someone else. Sure they had it for another 4 years or so. So they've gone that way too?
    I still see Nordmende fridges and maybe cookers the odd time Im somewhere B&Q maybe or possibly Currys or Power City, but not sure if they came back or how good they are? thought it was a good name, but like many white goods items that you think have good names, Ive read here a lot have been farmed away from UK/Italy/others to Turkey or elsewhere, hard to know who owns what or how good or bad it might be.
    I had thought goodmans was a cheaper end of things with clock radios/music systems and maybe cheaper looking microwaves.

Nordemende are rebadged Turkish kit (Vestel I believe), Gowan Group as in the car dealers are behind that; Grundig are a brand of Beko (also Turkish). Both brands completely failed to exist and were re-launched. Serious case of living off someone else's past glories.

Goodmans would have been seen as a maker of mid-price solid audio kit in the 80s; not anymore.

The problem with the tv is it often fails to turn on, and when it does, it's a black screen with sound and no picture. At this stage I'm resigned to buying a new one. Again, thanks for all the interest in the thread, I've learned a lot, and maybe others will too.

madmaggie wrote: »
    The problem with the tv is it often fails to turn on, and when it does, it's a black screen with sound and no picture. At this stage I'm resigned to buying a new one. Again, thanks for all the interest in the thread, I've learned a lot, and maybe others will too.
    As I suspected it's a bad caps issue I would say.easy enough fix.are u dublin based

• Advertisement

Maybe look the make/model up on google/youtube, might be a known fault and an easy fix,if you feel competent to open such a thing, its possible even with zero experience or if not enquire as to the cost of a repair? they might know straight away if its possible, (Im guessing unlikely that route due to cost).
    If you're dont feel comfortable with a repair yourself, then dont try.
    But if its something simple, then maybe its possible to eek a few more years out of it.
    Our first telly when we were young had to have a match or a rolled up piece of cardboard wedged into some switches to keep it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Electrical devices like tv's can still contain voltage that can kill, even when plugged out.
    If you're not anyway familiar with basic electrics then don't attempt to repair it yourself.
    A fault like the op described shouldn't cost more than €60/70 to fix any competent electrical repair shop, unless it's a major problem like the screen needing replacing.

@massey, no down in the sticks here, tried a couple of repair places, no go. @kebell, thanks for that, himself is getting pi**ed off now looking at the 19 inch tv, and is going to stump up for a new tv. :D

Jeez, Id try fix it
    think of the money you'd save
    @massy

whats a caps issue? capacitors?

Jeez, Id try fix it
    think of the money you'd save
    @massy

whats a caps issue? capacitors?

Yes capacitors quiet a com an fault on tv.s

massy086 wrote: »
    Yes capacitors quiet a com an fault on tv.s

Well then, if someone knows the capacitors to replsce, the items should be very cheap, it'll mostly be paying for the labour.
    Is it crt or flatscreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

MYOB wrote: »
    That's all you're entitled to at this stage, though. And that won't be much - probably enough to buy the same item second hand though, as they don't hold value at all.

Andecotal evidence suggests year 4 would be around 20% of the paid price. +1 on really not worth the hassle.

Advertisement