Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media/journalism jobs in Australia?

• 25-02-2012 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I am thinking of moving to Australia, but I am afraid I will not find a job in my field, which is media/journalism. Does anyone have any information if there are jobs in this area...and have had experience working in media, journalism or in an artsy field in Sydney or any big city in Oz?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To be honest you're right to be concerned, you probably won't find a job in the industry, especially if you're on a WHV.

The media industry is very much a closed shop here, more so in the smaller cities, and it's a case of who you know in terms of getting a start. With no Oz experience or references there's no reason to give you a start when competition is so high for jobs.

Your best bet would be to look at non conventional forms of media. For example, I have a degree in Journalism and Communications and work as a technical writer for a bank. It's a 9 to 5 job writing and editing so it's still got the fundamentals of journalism.

I compliment that by working part time for one of the A-League clubs so get my fix or enjoyable writing that way.

One other option you could have is as a contracts writer/editor, mining companies are always looking for people to write up and edit them.

Ultimately though if you're on a WHV you shouldn't put all your eggs in the media basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »

The media industry is very much a closed shop here, more so in the smaller cities, and it's a case of who you know in terms of getting a start. With no Oz experience or references there's no reason to give you a start when competition is so high for jobs.

It's a pity all that competition doesn't help produce better quality writing! The papers here are horrendous for the most part, not just the right wing editorial style with likes of The Australian but the actual writing quality itself is often terrible. A lot of them can't even construct basic sentences or use grammar/punctuation, and so many have such a disjointed, rambling writing style that it makes my head hurt while reading it.

Sorry for off topic rant but Aus media is one of my few real gripes with this very fine country...

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

SSS2012 wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving to Australia, but I am afraid I will not find a job in my field, which is media/journalism. Does anyone have any information if there are jobs in this area...and have had experience working in media, journalism or in an artsy field in Sydney or any big city in Oz?!

It depends on your experience more than anything. I'm working in television production in Sydney & there seem to be lots of opportunities here. I had decent experience before I came which made finding a job easier. I don't know anything about journalism here but if you've any questions feel free to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

Thanks, I did a postgrad in television and radio production, but have no work experience outside the postgrad. All my work experience is theatre production/management and journalism related. I would work in any job in the arts, from tv, film, casting, theatre to writing for a magazine, online, newspaper or copy-writing. I just want to work in a somewhat creative area related to something I have studied or worked in. I don't want to travel all the way over and find out there is nothing there! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

6ix wrote: »
    It depends on your experience more than anything. I'm working in television production in Sydney & there seem to be lots of opportunities here. I had decent experience before I came which made finding a job easier. I don't know anything about journalism here but if you've any questions feel free to PM me.

Hi 6ix. I'm planning on going out in the next 6 months. I have 12 years experience in TV post production. From what you are saying, I should have a reasonable chance of getting good work fairly quickly? What area of production are you working on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Caoimhin Ho

SSS2012 wrote: »

I got work as a data co-ordinator for a website in Sydney. It's not really conventional journalism per se, but the job is based on research and writing skills. Some of the journalists here have quit newspaper roles to work here as online experience is paramount.

A proper journalism job will be tough to land on a WHV. I've applied for jobs and not even got replies in the majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

dmaxontour wrote: »
    Hi 6ix. I'm planning on going out in the next 6 months. I have 12 years experience in TV post production. From what you are saying, I should have a reasonable chance of getting good work fairly quickly? What area of production are you working on?

I just sent you a PM there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goose_25

Hi there,

Very late to this thread. But I'm looking at going to Oz on a WHV towards the end of the year. I've five years journalism experience, mainly subbing for a national newspaper. I'm realistic about getting newspaper jobs but are jobs in publishing/editing etc hard to come by in Oz? I'm not hugely fussy about where I go to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm finishing up a masters in journalism and have about 6+ years in online marketing, so hoping to combine the two. I'll go to Aus if I have to. I'll go wherever...

Probably a really stupid post, but is there any point in applying from Ireland, or is it better to have the ducks in a row. As in, apply if one had a visa?

I can't imagine media/writing jobs would be ones where you could get sponsored from Ireland unless you were some super duper sh*t hot investigative reporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Make sure that what you do is on the Skilled Occupation List.

Had a quick look there on the SOL and CSOL and there's no mention of media or journalism.

The thing about immigration to any country is that you need to be bringing in skills that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Had a quick look there on the SOL and CSOL and there's no mention of media or journalism.

CSOL has media producer, copywriter, print journalist, radio journalist, newspaper editor, technical writer, journalists and other writers?!?

Indeed it does. Interesting to know, not sure what VETASSESS, but will check it out.

Though I would imagine it would be more of a hassle to hire from abroad?

I'll tease it out over the summer as there are no guarantees I'd get something in Ireland or the UK. The UK possibly, but nothing is guaranteed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Batgurl wrote: »
    CSOL has media producer, copywriter, print journalist, radio journalist, newspaper editor, technical writer, journalists and other writers?!?

So it does. wtf? I must have clicked an old list.

For a thicko like me, what kind of opportunity would the CSOL present to the likes of moi? A good one?

seachto7 wrote: »
    For a thicko like me, what kind of opportunity would the CSOL present to the likes of moi? A good one?

The ability to get sponsored under a 457 visa...if you find a willing employer...and fulfil the requirements.

A tall order j'imagine...

Difficult but not unheard of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

A tall order j'imagine...

If you have a basic grasp of grammar and sentence construction, you should be way ahead of the average Aussie "journo"...

Would it be a disadvantage not having a background knowledge of Aussie politics and social issues?

• Advertisement

Would it be a disadvantage not having a background knowledge of Aussie politics and social issues?

For pure news...yes. As will your lack of local contacts.

If you are willing to start in a "lesser" position; subeditor, copy editor, fact checker etc, you may be better positioned.

That said, honestly, getting a job in media from abroad=slim to none.

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I haven't fully exhausted the opportunities at this side of the world just yet.

Things aren't looking great in Ireland, and I have been thinking along the lines of "ah shur, I'll be grand, I'll get something in London".

There are no guarantees there either though, and London is a place where I would always be thinking of just putting in some time and getting out, so I need to look further afield, first in Europe, and then why not look at Aus?

But yes, I would imagine it's difficult to get something from abroad, and I haven't even done any research on the state of the media down under yet.

I suppose I'm looking at it from the angle of a mature student as well. At this stage, I'd like to not have to scrimp and scrape or take the "ah shure, it'll do for a year or so".

If that involved something as serious and life changing as moving far away from Ireland, so be it..

Advertisement