Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good gym in Cork city centre

• 03-11-2011 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey all,

I know this has been asked but all other threads are a few months old at least.

Anyway, I am looking to join a gym and was wondering if anyone knew of any good one in Cork city centre?

I am a mid 20's male and would be looking just for a general workout, i.e. lose weight, build muscle and tone up. A place with a pool would be cool, but not essential I guess.

I just saw that Rivers Edge Fitness Centre have an offer for €199 for the year, anyone know if the place/package is any good?

I know I could just run and do eights from home, which I do. But I lack the discipline to keep it going and feel that if I paid for a place I'd be more inclined to.

Any information or general fitness tips you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Riversedge isn't the best place to be at all....

It's a very small place..The weights area is tiny.....

The cardio area is a small bit bigger,,but the equipment,like the rest of the place is out of date and some of the machines break down fairly often.

Because of all that,and the low price,,you'll find the place gets packed at times,,and you'll end up waiting for whatever machine you want to use.

It has a car park,but only has a few places,and the chances of you getting one are about the same as winning the lotto.

Yes,,it's only €199,,but as the saying goes,,"You'll get exactly what you pay for".

If you can travel a bit,,maybe one of the Lesuireword complex's would be better,,and if it's your case,they do deals for the unemployed as well.

http://bishopstown.leisureworldcork.com/index.cfm/page/membership

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Gym? What's a gym?

...oh, a gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but i'm also looking to join a gym. Up until recently I was a member of the mardyke. I graduated recently though so I'm looking to join somewhere else. The two I have been looking at are the Oriel Hotel gym in Ballincollig (as it very convenient for where I live) and the River Lee hotel gym (the old jury's).

Has anyone any thoughts one these?

I can get an offer through work so they work out the same price but classes are included free of charge in the River Lee Hotel but there is an extra fee in the Oriel. But taking into account that I would have to drive to the River Lee Hotel it would possibly work out the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

The Mardyke Arena is far and away the best gym in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Hi, whats the best value for a years swimming membership in cork ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

The Mardyke Arena is far and away the best gym in Cork

Really? As a student I found it extremely busy at times. Its my main reason for looking somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Really? As a student I found it extremely busy at times. Its my main reason for looking somewhere else.

Its busy for a reason, the machines are always working and they have the best facilities.

As long as you have a machine there's no problem, if someone is on the one you want, use a different one and go back to it after.

I honestly believe that without UCC, Cork would be a way worse place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but i'm also looking to join a gym. Up until recently I was a member of the mardyke. I graduated recently though so I'm looking to join somewhere else. The two I have been looking at are the Oriel Hotel gym in Ballincollig (as it very convenient for where I live) and the River Lee hotel gym (the old jury's).

I can get an offer through work so they work out the same price but classes are included free of charge in the River Lee Hotel but there is an extra fee in the Oriel. But taking into account that I would have to drive to the River Lee Hotel it would possibly work out the same.

oriel is a pretty good gym, the only downsides are that its expensive compared to other gyms and VERY warm in the gym, the A/C is set at 21 degrees all the time so if you train hard its a pain and when equipment breaks it stays broken for ages, but having said that theres nothing broken there at the moment:)

I honestly believe that without UCC, Cork would be a way worse place to live

UCC is the biggest employer by far in the City, without it the City would be ups sh1ts creek really. The gym is busy because of all the students, not because it's the best gym though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If weights is your thing and you don't mind having to get tetanus shots on a regular basis then Fitton Street gym is for you. They've no cardio machince. The locker room on Washington street is pretty good for both weights and cardio. No pool though and crappy opening hours. I was a member and regular user of the Mardyke arena before the refurb. Had pretty much everything but was a right PITA for getting through routines when busy. If one's work/studies would allow them to attend at off-peak times then I'd highly recommend this place.
    ...and the River Lee hotel gym (the old jury's).

I can get an offer through work so they work out the same price but classes are included free of charge in the River Lee Hotel
    I'm a newly joined member. Plenty of cardio machines (but no bike machine, I think), nice looking pool which I haven't used yet and a pretty good schedule of classes. Weights area is quite limited though. If anyone here is looking to join and would like to negate the joining fee PM me to arrange a 'friend referral'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Lemag wrote: »
    II'm a newly joined member. Plenty of cardio machines (but no bike machine, I think)
    I was mistaken. They do have bike machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 2k9cian2k9

If your willing to travel a bit i would recommend leisureworld in bishopstown,It has a good variety off treadmills,bikes,good sized free weights area and fixed weight machines

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭castlepoint

leisureworld in bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

How has nobody recommended NRG gym on Western Rd. Place is fantastic, staff are brilliant, it's rarely too busy, loads of space and nice people around you. I have been out injured with my back for about 6/7 months whereby I haven't been able to go to the gym. They rang me a few months back to find out was everything ok that they hadn't seen me in awhile, I explained my situation and they said to bring in some sort of letter explaining my injury and they would add the time I've missed onto my membership.. Without me even asking! Cannot recommend highly enough, was delighted with that phonecall :)

Advertisement