Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The Annual Club Kildare golf classic takes place next Friday the 26th June in Naas Golf Club.

If you have not already booked your tee time please contact Eamonn O Donoghue on 0872031677 and he will be delighted to help you.

Please get your club involved so as to make this a successful fundraiser for Club Kildare. This is always a most enjoyable day.

Sponsorship of Greens is also available.

The next Kildare GAA club draw will also take place on Friday:

CDHxOBJWgAAv-Ki.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Anyone at the Sarsfields v Moorefield match last night? Cards galore!

Didn't get to the game myself but talking to some Sarsfields and Moorfield supporter's on Saturday night and all agreed it was a complete overreaction from the ref, five red cards and three black cards in what was a relatively clean and sporting game. At one stage a player from each side were wrestling on the ground off the ball and a Sarsfields player went to break them up and he gave the three of them red cards. He seemed to have a premeditated idea because it was a local derby he wasn't going to let it get out of hand. Games between these great rivals are almost always played in a sporting manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Petermc83

lanomist wrote: »
    Didn't get to the game myself but talking to some Sarsfields and Moorfield supporter's on Saturday night and all agreed it was a complete overreaction from the ref, five red cards and three black cards in what was a relatively clean and sporting game. At one stage a player from each side were wrestling on the ground off the ball and a Sarsfields player went to break them up and he gave the three of them red cards. He seemed to have a premeditated idea because it was a local derby he wasn't going to let it get out of hand. Games between these great rivals are almost always played in a sporting manner.

Complete horror show from the referee... When i seen his name in the Leader i knew what to expect.. has to be one of the worst in the county.

By all accounts, it wasn't even a dirty match.
    Both clubs were missing their county players and a few more injured so i wouldnt read much into the result.

SHC Preliminary Round Fixtures:

26.06.15 (Fri)

MAYNOOTH V ÉIRE ÓG/CORRACHOILL
    Time: 7 30 PM , Venue: Celbridge
    Referee: Tim O Sullivan

27.06.15 (Sat)

LEIXLIP V CONFEY
    Time: 3 00 PM , Venue: Ardclough
    Referee: Raymond Kelly

CLANE V NAAS
    Time: 5 00 PM , Venue: Hawkfield
    Referee: David Coady

CELBRIDGE V ARDCLOUGH
    Time: 7 30 PM , Venue: Hawkfield
    Referee: Declan Peppard

https://twitter.com/KildareNatSport/status/614152803775315968

Peter Kelly also ruled out. That leaves us very light in the backs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Kelly's not really a loss. He's barely featured in recent years, seems he's made of glass. Eoin Doyle will most likely take Kilkenny, he is a much better player that Conway anyway IMO.

Smith would be a huge loss if he's out, he's our best ball winner inside and he's a past master at winning frees. I just can't see where the scores are going to come from if he's out.

Hard to get anyway excited about this game, there's a sense of inevitability about the whole thing.

Depressing.

Nib wrote: »
    Kelly's not really a loss. He's barely featured in recent years, seems he's made of glass. Eoin Doyle will most likely take Kilkenny, he is a much better player that Conway anyway IMO.

Smith would be a huge loss if he's out, he's our best ball winner inside and he's a past master at winning frees. I just can't see where the scores are going to come from if he's out.

Hard to get anyway excited about this game, there's a sense of inevitability about the whole thing.

Depressing.

I'd have Hyland and Doyle both playing now but it leaves us very light on backs now that Conway and Kelly are out. Cian O'Donoghue was our only other defender on the 26 against Laois. Seamus McNally and Gavin Farrell are probably the only other two on the panel and those guys have zero league experience, let alone championship experience of Croke Park.

It would be very unfortunate if Smith misses out. If we do go very negative in our approach you need someone inside who the ball is going to stick to when you counter and Smith has been a great outlet ball for Kildare recently. I think they might push O'Flaherty up the field if Smith is out. He can drift in and out of games a bit as a playmaker but he was very good last year against Monaghan when he was kept closer to the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Team to face Dublin:

Donnellan
    Fitzpatrick
    O'Grady
    Lyons
    Murnaghan
    Bolton
    Doyle
    White
    Cribbin
    O'Neill
    O'Flaherty
    McNally
    Callaghan
    Smith
    Fogarty

Only Bolton, Cribbin, O'Flaherty and Leper remain from the team that started against Dublin in 2013. That's a crazy turnover of players in the space of two years.

Kildare SHC
    Éire Óg/Corra Choill 2-13 Maynooth 2-10

• Advertisement

Kildare MF (v Dublin):

1. Declan Campbell (Raheens)
    2. Ronan Slattery (Eadestown)
    3. Michael Joyce (Round Towers)
    4. Darren Lawlor (Rheban)
    5. Gavin Burke (Two Mile House)
    6. Shea Ryan (Sarsfields)
    7. James Healy (Sarsfields)
    8. Daniel Courtney (Kilcock)
    9. Rory Feely (Athy)
    10. Conor Hartley (Sarsfields)
    11. Ethan O'Donohue (Clane)
    12. Brian McLoughlin (Clane)
    13. Ciaran Kelly (Clane)
    14. Matthew Kelly (Round Towers)
    15. Jimmy Hyland (Aylmer Gaels)

The minors beat Dublin 3-16 to 3-13. Brilliant performance and result despite the best efforts of the referee. Rory Feely and Ethan O'Donoghue were outstanding. Darren Lawler at the back looked very good too.

They play Longford in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Can you keep me updated on shoreline lads up in the coombe no way of watching the game

Fantastic result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Really looking forward to the game in Tullamore on Saturday.Hopefully a good crowd turns up form both counties and we get a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

kildare beaten before they left the dressing room leinster football is in a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Obviously expected the Dubs to win but was hoping there would be some sort of game plan to negate Dublin, instead it seemed we played them man to man and stood off them and admired them, at least the minors gave us a brilliant display. Onwards to Tullamore again next Saturday

Hardly an unexpected result for the seniors. Far too many wides which could've kept us within more of a respectable distance. Failure to push up on the Dublin kickouts was naive.

I thought McNally and Doyle stuck at it admirably and Niall Kelly showed his promise when introduced. Pity about Ollie Lyons with what looked like a broken finger. He is probably the one back we can ill afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

paulie21 wrote: »
    Obviously expected the Dubs to win but was hoping there would be some sort of game plan to negate Dublin, instead it seemed we played them man to man and stood off them and admired them, at least the minors gave us a brilliant display. Onwards to Tullamore again next Saturday

I don't think its a case of standing off them they just couldn't get near them. The disparity in the physical abilities of the players hit me in the face. Dublin were faster and stronger all over the pitch and the ability of the players to move the ball at pace emphasises their strengths. A blanket type defence might have kept the score down but really what good is that?

For what its worth i thought Kildare did quite well against Cluxton. Dublin work the opening well with their movement but on the occasions he was forced to go long Kildare had the advantage for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

Kildare worked the flanks quite well and kicked some nice points from range.
    Never created any goal chances though.
    Defense fouled a lot. Couldn't really cope man to man with forward line. Dublin forwards became fairly ragged and sloppy in the second half until A Brogan came on and demonstrated a bit of focus and point taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

corny wrote: »
    I don't think its a case of standing off them they just couldn't get near them. The disparity in the physical abilities of the players hit me in the face. Dublin were faster and stronger all over the pitch and the ability of the players to move the ball at pace emphasises their strengths. A blanket type defence might have kept the score down but really what good is that?

For what its worth i thought Kildare did quite well against Cluxton. Dublin work the opening well with their movement but on the occasions he was forced to go long Kildare had the advantage for me.

Have to agree with your point that the physical difference between the players really surprised me. It appears to have widened in the last 2 years. Ollie Lyons will be a big loss. Only a handful of Kildare players were up to the physical exchanges today. They were knocked off the ball easily by times.

Kildare still got some good scores and I think if they can regroup they could still cause a little upset along the way.

It's a good thing I missed that game tbh

I got to watch the game tonight and can't believe how badly we played. As I said Dublin are probably imo the best squad in the country by a mile and on all fronts hammered us in comparison

Desire- Dublin
    Strength- Dublin
    Skill- Dublin
    Speed- Dublin

On a note Dublin showing their dominance was obviously gonna happen as let's be honest we are miles behind them but where's the pride in our Jersey gone, I remember travelling to Dublin games and I don't ever remember Kildare being dominant over Dublin even the great team of 98 took 3 attempts to beat Dublin like. But the difference is cleRly Dublin have improved tenfold but the days of Kildare standing up to Dublin are gone apart from 15 minutes today we were beaten badly and that 15 minutes happened cos Dublin relaxed and cruised and when brogan came on more punishment for us :(

On a positive note minors did so well fair play to them

Such a sad day hard to inagine this fall from grace was coming

Geezer we are sorry come back :D

Surely Ryan is gone now, there is no way he should have gotten

Yeah, let's bring back McGeeney, I suppose a 16 point hiding at the hands of Dublin is better than a 19 point one.

Yeah, let's bring back McGeeney, I suppose a 16 point hiding at the hands of Dublin is better than a 19 point one.

Mcgeeney is a fine manager and the players wanted to play for him...

It's not gonna happen either way but Ryan needs to go...

There's no real point in dwelling on that match. Barring a championship miracle Ryan was pretty much a goner after the league campaign. Dublin have an exceptional group at the moment and they will beat most counties in Ireland just as easily. That won't last forever as yesterday's minor game showed. Sure Kildare should be performing an awful lot better but that won't happen under this management for whatever reason. We could regroup in the qualifiers and hang around for a few weeks yet before we meet a good team again. There will be big changes before next spring and we can only hope that the right decisions are made.

Big shock in the hurling championship this weekend with Ardclough turning over Celbridge:

Confey 1-12 Leixlip 1-6
    Naas 1-17 Clane 1-11
    Ardclough 2-10 Celbridge 1-12

Confey, Naas, Éire Óg/CC and Coill Dubh into the winners group. Maynooth, Leixlip, Clane and Celbridge in the losers group.

Triple header in Newbridge next Sunday:

JHL Final:
    Ros Glas v Sallins (3:15)

SHL Final:
    Celbridge v Naas (5:00)

IHL Final:
    Kill v Naas (6:45)

What do you suggest then? Easy point that out but at least mcgeeney had order in the camp

David Hyland and Darroch Mulhall have left for America according to reports.

Great timing! This pair should never play for Kildare again. Taking up two places on the panel all year and then decide to head off to America at the first sign of trouble.

There was a time when Kildare people used to laugh at Laois for this carry on.

Very disappointing.

• Advertisement

We're very short on defenders now for the weekend. If Kelly, Conway and Lyons are all out we are in trouble. Bolton is also playing with an injury.

That leaves Fitzpatrick, O'Grady, Murnaghan and Doyle. Do we move Cribbin or Leper back to the half back line or take a chance on a few young lads with no experience?

Advertisement