Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One step at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Good luck on Saturday Sosa, might go down for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Remember, if you don't get sick crossing the finish line, you didn't try hard enough. If you don't get a PB we're taking the TV back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

showry wrote: »
    Good luck on Saturday Sosa, might go down for a look.

Thanks,Showry...i am surprised your doing it yourself.
    Remember, if you don't get sick crossing the finish line, you didn't try hard enough. If you don't get a PB we're taking the TV back. :)

I didnt even get it yet,Krusty...just as well maybe as i probably would stay home and watch a blu-ray on it instead of killing myself out the tramore road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

tisnotover wrote: »
    try to lock into someone/group hitting same pace as ya and it'll help a lot...
    +1 ^^.
    Best of luck Sosa, don't be worried about blowing up, it's not like the marathon. As long as you start at a reasonable pace (probably quite fast, if your log is anything to go by!) you'll smash that PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

[quote=aero2k;63449272
    Best of luck Sosa, don't be worried about blowing up, it's not like the marathon.[/quote]

+1 Best of luck, take it handy for the first mile and then settle into the pace you want for the rest. Agreed, its very tough not to get carried away in the very first mile but after that no prob. Plus, its only a half, so whatever you hold back in the first mile can be compensated by a strong last mile (something which you couldn't really do in a marathon - mile 26 is more like just keeping moving!)

• Advertisement

First mile no quicker than 6:30 tomorrow...i have promised myself that...not to pushed on final result,i just want to enjoy it and not fall apart

Sosa wrote: »
    This time i am not going out to fast....i repeat,i am not going out to fast.

If there is anything i have learned from Dublin its pace yourself.
    I dont ever want to feel like i did for those last 6m up there again.

Waterford AC Half Marathon

Well,If i was at my lowest after Dublin,i am at my highest right now.
    Finished in 83:37,and like abhainn said after Dublin ( which amazed me ),it was the easiest race i have ever ran...started off with a 6:50 mile one...didnt plan that slow but started back a bit and got boxed in.
    After that i got into my stride with miles of 6:24,6:32,6:30 and 6:35 to bring me up to 5m passing people all the way,felt great.
    Then i knockd out miles of 6:30,6:24 and 6:19 to get me to 8m in 52:06,
    52 would have been 85 min pace,decided to up it a bit then with miles of 6:27 ( uphill ),6:18 to get me to 11m,delighted with how good i felt i finished off with miles of 6:10,6:15 and 6:01...and a few seconds then for the last 0.1m....delighted with myself coming onto the track doing 5:45 pace....could have kept going,wanted to keep going.
    Although i will be looking to go sub 81/82 next year,today was a victory...in escence...i beat the system....i was totally in control from start to finish and it was a great feeling.

Handy starts are the way to go.

Handy couple of weeks form me now,get back into it for the Dungarvan 10m on Jan 31st....

Dublin is now a distant memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great stuff man, delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

you finally got what your year of training deserved. you made a mistake in dublin, you ve learnt, got stronger and you ll break 3 hrs next year absolutely no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done Sosa,

I'm delighted for you but in no way surprised. That time shows you can go sub-3 no problem.
    Great pacing too, now you've proved the benefit of a conservative start.
    I wish I had got boxed in at the start of the Aware today. I was feeling a bit sluggish and people were flying past me in the first 50-100m. When I checked the Garmin I was under 5:40 per mile....active recovery takes on a whole new meaning when you're doing the recovering while still trying to run 6:00 per mile:). I was kinda glad they lopped off the last km....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

excellent running Sosa, well deserved PB there!

great atmosphere I felt down there today, def one for the calendar for next year again

great atmosphere I felt down there today, def one for the calendar for next year again

Thanks Tissy,you had a productive run yourself,similar to what i tried out up in KK 5 weeks before Dublin.Well done.

I have to echo what people have been saying about the organisation,they put months into preparing.
    Between our club and West Waterford we are spoilt for choice,you know you will have a good day out at a race organised by either club.

Well done Waterford AC.

Oh yeah,forgot about that ...knocked 5:30 off my previous time.
    Heres to knocking a couple more minutes off it next year.

Roll on the 10 milers in January

Great result, and well deserved Sosa. With this knowledge in hand, you'll have a fantastic year, next year.

Great result, and well deserved Sosa. With this knowledge in hand, you'll have a fantastic year, next year.

Thanks Krusty.
    Does this mean i can keep the telly,even though i didn't get sick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Thanks Tissy,you had a productive run yourself,similar to what i tried out up in KK 5 weeks before Dublin.Well done.

yep, tis ure blog I got the idea from!;)

Thanks Krusty.
    Does this mean i can keep the telly,even though i didn't get sick ?
    Not even a little bit sick? Throw up in your mouth a little? Not even a small belch or burp? Break a little wind?
    Hmm. I'm deadlocked. We'll have to go to the public vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running Sosa. Fab time for a December half-marathon!

Not even a little bit sick? Throw up in your mouth a little? Not even a small belch or burp? Break a little wind?
    Hmm. I'm deadlocked. We'll have to go to the public vote.

Your sounding like Simon Cowell now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff Sosa, sounded like a great event

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant time Sosa, and goes to show DCM was an aberration. Pick a marathon next year and you'll get that sub3 handy. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I have been looking at this log for a while, a well deserved PB. Congrats

Brilliant time Sosa, and goes to show DCM was an aberration. Pick a marathon next year and you'll get that sub3 handy. Well done.

I learned a harsh lesson up there,but i learned from today also.
    I prefer todays lesson :D

Delighted to finish 2009 on a high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great run, and you didn't even have to show your full hand. Well deserved and bodes well for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Great time Sosa, you can treat yourself to a few bottles of Peroni now!

Dukie wrote: »

That i shall do duke,on the way into town momenteraly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Dukie wrote: »

Good choice. Hope you managed a couple of the 660ml size as your reward for that great performance.
    Good to hear you found the race "easy". You know now I wasn't mad when I made that comment then
    A very satisfying finish to the year - well done again.

Hopefully will see you again in Dungarvan. You should be getting close to the sub 60 mark then;)

Abhainn wrote: »
    Good choice. Hope you managed a couple of the 660ml size as your reward for that great performance.
    Good to hear you found the race "easy". You know now I wasn't mad when I made that comment then
    A very satisfying finish to the year - well done again.

Hopefully will see you again in Dungarvan. You should be getting close to the sub 60 mark then;)

Thanks Abhainn,
    I may have paced myself for the race but i didnt with the Peroni's ( 660ml of course !),paid for it yesterday...just back from a nice 6m to clear the head.

I thought you were a bit mad when you said that tbh,but i understand now,everything just clicked into place on the day.

I will be in Dungarvan alright,looking for sub 62 if i can get it.
    Sub 60 maybe for 2011,certainly not up in Dungarvan,and not many other 10 milers throughout the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Occamist

Well done on a great race, a sweet finish to the year.

Really enjoying the training log btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Well done. Really enjoying it was a great bonus.
    Thought you would have ran sub 1.23 tbh and going by your last 3.1 miles you were in that shape saturday. Harsh but true.
    Dungarvan 10 sub 61 should be your aim. Saturday was your first half race......well done again.

maybe a sub 60 in ballycotton ??

Advertisement