Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ripped suit pants only after two wears

Options
  • 28-08-2014 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi
    Just a question about returning a suit pants to a shop,
    I have it over a year and have only worn it twice, this suit cost me 700 euro
    in cork, it was also dry cleaned once,
    I was at a wedding recently and it split along the bum cheek part of the pants, got onto the manager of the shop and he said he would show the rep but he thinks I have no hope,
    Has anyone else been in this suitation and how did ye get on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"The manager said he would show the rep" is bullsh!t. Your contract is with the retailer.

...However, if you the trousers did not fit you in the first place (this includes bending down in them)...

Either way - €700 should equal a perfect repair or a larger pair of trousers that perfectly match the rest of the suit.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

It depends on what caused the rip.

But in any case, if its at a seam, it simply needs re-stitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

delahuntv wrote: »
    It depends on what caused the rip.

But in any case, if its at a seam, it simply needs re-stitching.

if you put on weight this could easily happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

if you put on weight this could easily happen

I didn't want to say that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

delahuntv wrote: »
    I didn't want to say that! :D

Given the timeframe its likely.

we really need more detail about the rip though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Well OP did say "bum cheek" and not "ass crack" so it sounds like the material and not the seam. This could only have happened if they had been snagged on something

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What were you doing when it ripped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I was at a wedding recently and it split along the bum cheek part of the pants,

Either the material was weak or not fit for purpose, and you have a case.

Or you were throwing shapes after a large wedding meal and it was too much for your trousers. In which case, no refund for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I think you're going to be relying on the mercy and goodwill of the retailer and company rep in this case OP. The pants are over a year old and although you say you only wore them twice they only have your word for this. It's going to be very hard for you to prove it's a fault in the material and that you haven't worn it more often, didn't put on more weight, didn't catch it in something or even that the dry cleaner you used didn't damage them in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

homer911 wrote: »
    Well OP did say "bum cheek" and not "ass crack" so it sounds like the material and not the seam. This could only have happened if they had been snagged on something
    Could have been a predictive text error though. Although while you could easily rip the crack seam, it would be harder to split the cheek (unless there was a flaw in the fabric, or the OP has some cheek :eek: :), or it got snagged on something somehow as you said).

If it was just the seam, though, I'm fairly sure the shop would have repaired it without issue.

The seam bursting thing happened to me once or more. I learned after the first to match the colour of the kaks with the colour of the slacks. [I never use the 'slacks' word normally, unless it rhymes. Too much of a Farah vibe...]

OP, if it is a rip/burst of the fabric rather than just the seam, and if you get no joy from the shop/manufacturer, a good tailor should be able to do a fairly invisible repair. It's not like you wear the suit often, and who is scrutinising your ass anyway?

Above paragraph is not to be construed as advice to forego your rights, BTW.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement