Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help! Van nightmare

Options
  • 05-07-2012 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    While changing my cam belt last week I accidentally dropped a set of shims, same as below, into the oil return passage in the head marked with the red arrow.

img2069db.jpg

img2039r.jpg

Spent a day playing with a telescopic magnet down the passageway without any joy as this oil passageway, unlike the others that go direct to the sump, takes a left turn about an inch into the block and the magnet just sticks to the block at this point. So after a day under the van in the rain I got the sump off hoping to see the shims sitting in it. What I found was that unlike the other passageways this one seems to wind through the block and exit through the opening marked with the arrow below. I only know this from pouring some oil in the passage the shims fell into.

img2067a.jpg

You can see the daylight from one of the other direct passageways from the head.

I was wondering if anyone knows where this passageway goes between the top and bottom of the block?

I poured five litres of oil down the passageway with a funnel hoping to flush it but nothing except oil came out.

Any advice on what to do with regard to getting it out would be very helpfull.

Thanks,
    Brian

The engine is the 2.5 TDI in a 2002 T4 VW Transporter. Engine code AJT (88hp).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 efier698

So after a day day under the van in the rain I got the sump off hoping to see the shims sitting in it. kv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

efier698 wrote: »
    So after a day day under the van in the rain I got the sump off hoping to see the shims sitting in it. kv.gif

Helpfull?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Sorry but not sure what the layout of the oil ports are on the 2.5 TDI.
    i wonder if you fished a strong wire with a small magnet attached to it from the bottom of the oil port (sumpside)..this may pick it up on its way tru...

Also maybe one of these would work...:confused:
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DURATOOL-D00272-/22-9724

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭John J. Lyons

could you get a 3 leg claw type thing - cant think of the name of it , local motor factors would have one for about €10/€15 and do a bit of time fishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

The problem is at the passage seem to wind through the block taking some sharp turns so magnets just stick to the block and cant go around the corners. Even the head of that claw snake thing probably wouldn't make the first turn at the bottom of the head. I think I'll get one and try it anyway though. Worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

You could try blowing them out with compressed air.......

Really don't know what else to suggest...

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

I was chatting to a lad tonight who does some scuba diving. He has some tanks and hoses. Going to try push it back up as far as a magnet with a bicycle brake cable first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

Exactly what I was thinking.

Find someone with one of these and a blow gun
    air-compressor-ah2060-a-652.jpg

Got them out this morning using to tiny neodymium magnets stuck into the end of air line for a fish tank. Worked perfect. Made its way through 19 inches of head and block to get the shims out :D.

Ye I know plug the holes next time:pac:

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

McGiyver makes the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Try and find someone with a borescope inspection kit, then you can see whats going on in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Got them out this morning using to tiny neodymium magnets stuck into the end of air line for a fish tank. Worked perfect. Made its way through 19 inches of head and block to get the shims out :D.

Ye I know plug the holes next time:pac:

Thanks everyone for your help!
    Nice one, where did you get those magnets, from some speakers?
    I got one of those telescopic magnets from tesco, saved my bacon once already after dropping a nut at the back of a scuttle panel.

Nice one, where did you get those magnets, from some speakers?
    I got one of those telescopic magnets from tesco, saved my bacon once already after dropping a nut at the back of a scuttle panel.

I got the magnets of a lad on a T4forum. He suggested superglueing them into the end of a straw but it wasn't strong enough to push the magnets through the block. About a week later and all this talk of airlines got me thinking about the air line on my fish tank.

2 neodyium magnets in the end of the air line. Each is 8mm diameter and 0.5mm thick. Available in many sizes on amazon etc.
    img0300hx.jpg

You can stick a coat hanger down the line too for extra strength if you wanted to get it down to the under tray or something. It can pick up a 13 spanner. The further into the line the magnets are pushed the easier it was to push through the block.
    img0299ml.jpg

img0305hh.jpg

Advertisement