Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due July 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Oh & we will use the pram on travel system for day naps as its suitable for overnight sleeping - or st least that's the plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I was told that it was fine to put a newborn in a cot and it's fine to let them sleep in a seperate room.

But my mum is going to buy a moses basket and we are being given a crib so think baby will sleep with us the first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

silly wrote: »
    Thank god i am not the only one!!! my friend got hers cleaned the following week!!!

The girl said for €180 it will be boxed. So even if it cost that much to clean anyway, you'll ge the box, but if it only costs 120, you will have to pay the 180 to get it boxed.
    My dress has alot of "bling" on the top half - but nothing anywhere else (you can see it on my fb cover photo) so i'm not sure how much it would cost.

I have heard of girls using a soft toothbrush/nail brush with a vanish soap bar on the fake tan stains, and other stains, turning it inside out, putting it into a duvet cover and fecking it into the washing machine on a very delicate wash..
    Was very tempted. even bought the nail brush and the vanish bar.

Mine is all bling as far as the waist and then 8 layers of tulle: I had a big princess dress :D And loved it... I was tempted to do that too: but I'm terrified it will get ruined: you would swear I was going to wear it another ten times!
    TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Wedding dresses are far from my expertise & I know it must be nice to get it cleaned but if you are never going to wear it again does it really matter? There would be a little bit of me that would like it showing the great day we had scuff marks and all! You know - thats when your ..... stood on me on the dance floor etc.
    I guess if you hope to pass it on in the future it makes sense smile.gif

Logically that makes perfect sense: but it was such a big deal to get the perfect dress (even waiting for the sale cuz it was €1700 aside from that eek.gif)... I can't imaagine ever passing it on at the same time either: so it is a waste of money!! But its just one of those totally illogical things that makes perfect sense in my head!!
    Mink wrote: »
    Does he set his alarm to get up & come back to you or does he just wake up anyway? I'm tempted to do something like this, ie one of us fecks off downstairs just at "lights out". Feck it, that's what I'm doing, I really need sleep now.

He just wakes up on his own: I reckon it's cuz he misses me!!
    Ok another questions. I'm planning to skip over the whole moses basket thing and just put baby straight into the same cot bed he'll be sleeping in til he's 3! My mother in law tells me you can't put them in a cot when they are newborns, they have to go in a moses basket.

Is there any truth to this, are you really supposed to have them in a moses basket for first month at least? I have a pram carry cot but I can't even put proper sheets or mattress in it as it's really for transport or naps.

You got the Baby Elegance Beep didn't you? Because if you did with a change of matress it is sutible for overnight sleeping if you want... The baby elegance website has them I think there like €25. But there is no bother putting baba straight into a cot either!!

notsobusy wrote: »
    I was told that it was fine to put a newborn in a cot and it's fine to let them sleep in a seperate room.

But my mum is going to buy a moses basket and we are being given a crib so think baby will sleep with us the first few weeks.

We were told in antenatal classes aswell to keep baby in our room for the first 6 months too...

Hmmm I can't remember what the mid wife said in the ante natal class. It's just a few friends said they put the baby into a cot straightaway in a seperate room and had one of those angelcare monitors for the breathing and a movement mat.

Sure bubs will probably be sleep with us, if my mum gets us the moses basket I don't see why not!

SIDS charities def recommend room sharing for the first 6 months as a precautionary measure - they don't recommend bed sharing just as an aside :)

On another point totally - how do ye feel about the vit K injection at birth & the Vit D drops until they are 12 months old? Gonna discuss both with my GP & consultant but would be interested in your opinions :)

• Advertisement

SIDS charities def recommend room sharing for the first 6 months as a precautionary measure - they don't recommend bed sharing just as an aside :)

On another point totally - how do ye feel about the vit K injection at birth & the Vit D drops until they are 12 months old? Gonna discuss both with my GP & consultant but would be interested in your opinions :)

Totally agree with both: most Irish people are deficient in Vitamin D: and it's not untill other problems start up that people ever know: and it is so difficult to get doctors to test for it. And the tests can take up to two months to come back. Also for anyone with a thyroid problem (or a family history of autoimmune disorders like diabetes/thyroid problems/b12 deficiency) Vitamin D is a co-hormone and is vital. The reason it's needed now as opposed to years ago is how much more aware we are of the importance of sunscreen etc.

Vitamin K is a bit different: personally I have no problem with it. It's a vitamin, and the benefits outweigh the risks. The risks are tiny if you don't get it but any risk at all is too much for me. I also genuinely don't believe doctors would reccomend it if they didn't see a need for it. I know it usen't be given years ago: but there are constant advance in medicine across all fields and this is just one of them. Also the main study in the UK that had the increase in leukemia for babies who were given vitamin K (which is what put a lot of people off of it) wasn't borne out across wider ranging studies in Denmark and the US, and a similar one in Scotland that saw no increase.

I know they are both totally personal choices (like everything) but for me I view them both as necesseties.

Oh I wouldn't have the baby in the bed with us! My mum is going to buy us a moses basket so will put the basket in the bedroom with us!

Notsobusy - that wasn't directed at you :) it was just an aside...things pop in my head when I am typing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

My oh was a bit of a knob earlier. I just can't seem to let it go , i feel really down for some reason.
    Hospital tomorrow morning tho yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

At my second last hospital the nurse was giving me the whole breast feeding spiel and told me to have baby sleep in bed with me so I wouldn't have to get up during the night to baby and baby cld feed on demand.
    It's a totally personal thing but I really disagree with her. I kinda just said oh right and moved on when I was with her, but I wish now I had that little nugget of info for her, because she was telling me the details in a very matter of fact way, not informing me!
    But it will be different for everyone and in the end we will do whatever we need to do for ourselves and baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

javagal wrote: »
    My oh was a bit of a knob earlier. I just can't seem to let it go , i feel really down for some reason.
    Hospital tomorrow morning tho yay

i know the feeling
    my oh started jokes about big happy hipo
    i get so upset
    i'm usually ok with his jokes but today few people in office asked me am I sure that my due date is in end of july as i look overdue now!
    i know due to weather I was swollen but still ut wasn't nice.

so combination of all comments resulted in crapy mood.

Java that sucks... Just look forward to hosp and things will seem better in morn.

Kildareash im shocked at that nurse was advocating bed sharing.... It just goes to show you should research everything yourself... I mean I know it's a personal choice but you need to be so aware of the risks. And I don't really see the difference between taking baby out of cot/crib/Moses basket and having them in the bed in terms of ease for breast feeding.

Saurelin could you maybe say to your oh that your feeling a bit more sensitive than normal these days and to lay off jokes? Like me and hubby would normally joke about stuff that we don't these days because he knows I'm a lot more sensitive than normal... And just ignore those idiots in work... I swear to god I cannot figure out why the second people know your pregnant they think it's ok to comment on your size: like just because your pregnant does not mean u want people telling you your huge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barremic

I had a friend over for lunch yeaterday, it was lovely catching up and showing her the work we have done in the babies room.

She asked what my date was and I said the 9th, she thought I meant June, when I said July, I got oh your enormous!. Hmm way to make me feel good. First the twins comment a few weeks ago, then this. She is very slim and tall and her pregnancies were just tiny little bumps.

I'm quite short and apparently, from some people I'm all baby, but the word enormous should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I may get a t shirt saying "comment on my size, lose a body part".

Sleep was slightly more successful last night, OH let me go to bed first and get asleep before he came up, which is very sweet considering he gets up at 5.30 this week. I only woke to turn in the bed but got straight back asleep.

Ive also found a pillow combination that seems to work, the long part of dream genie on one side ( just for between knees or to support back) and a regular pillow on other. I've found that I just don't really fit the dream genie anymore or it's irritating my ribs or something.

Have the single bed downstairs made up though just in case.

I'm finding when I lay on my right side I get that horribly tingly burning feeling on top of my right thigh and that's waking me up.

Has the nice weather reached the wesht yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Has the nice weather reached the wesht yet?

Well it certainly hasnt hit the South:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

It has definitely reached the hills of Clare - it's absolutely glorious here today!

I'm totally up for the Vitamins - D especially. I don't know much about the K one, so will do some more research, but it seems to be a good idea at first glance.

I'm a big fan of co-sleeping! The baby will not actually be in my bed, but will be in one of those cots that attach to my bed. So the bed looks a bit like an upside down L. Realistically speaking, if i'm breastfeeding, I might dose off without putting them back, but 'm not too worried - the major risks of co-sleeping happen only when the parent is a drinker/smoker/drug user, or if they haven't done any research and try to use a pillow with the baby etc.

I think the main thing is to do whatever suits you and your child, and keeps you both safe. I'm sure our opinions might change rapidly if our little ones scream their tiny heads off every time we try to put them back in the cot!

Kash wrote: »
    I'm sure our opinions might change rapidly if our little ones scream their tiny heads off every time we try to put them back in the cot!

Yep, this is usually how babies end up in the parent's bed, it may happen to us.

We were going to get that co-sleeper cot thing but then decided to just stick him in the same cot he's going to be in for the next few yrs. Have you gotten the co-sleeper? We couldn't find anything for a decent price.

It has at last Mink yes :D hopefully it will stay a few days!

Kildareash - that's pretty outdated information to be giving out without mentioning alternatives etc.

Had our breastfeeding ante natal class last night and I have to say I think we have a great midwife doing our classes as she was in no way pushy about it and started the class by saying I am here to give you information but whether you decide to breast or bottle feed is your personal choice and this is not about forcing you to breastfeed.
    She didn't talk much about bottle feeding but then it was a breastfeeding class, in saying that, if you intended to bottle feed I don't think the way she approached it would make you feel bad about making that choice. She did mention that something like 6 out of 10 bottle fed babies are obese by 6 months and that if you read the labels they now say (something like) to feed on demand rather than so many bottles of so much in a 24 hour period to try and tackle this problem.
    Something I found interesting was she talked about a new breastfeeding position that with all her years as a midwife, she wouldn't have believed would work so well if she didn't see it with her own eyes. Bear with me in this explanation :) it is basically you being propped up as if reading a book in bed - the baby the lies up your belly latched on in a face front to boob position - a bit like a Santos Colossal Bargain with their head at boob height. Like I said she didn't think it would work with most babies when she read about it so she did a trial on 8 new mothers to see if it worked and it worked really well for 6 of them :) worth looking into if you struggle with the standard positions!
    All in all it was a decent class without a pushy agenda so I am pretty happy with how they are going so far...next week is labour :D the joys!

I've heard re that feeding position before & wondered about it. I think it's called "laid back" feeding.

Just got the angelcare monitor on Donedeal for 45 which includes the postage. Never used & still in the box, nice one :cool:

The nice weather has reached the south west anyway... so it's probably on the way Silly :)

I am hating babs being so much quieter than she was... I know doc told me that she would be for a good few days, I know her heartbeat is really strong but I still hate it... I love the reassurance of her moving all the time even if sometimes it feels like shes beating the crap out of me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Yep, this is usually how babies end up in the parent's bed, it may happen to us.

We were going to get that co-sleeper cot thing but then decided to just stick him in the same cot he's going to be in for the next few yrs. Have you gotten the co-sleeper? We couldn't find anything for a decent price.

My parents bought us the co-sleeper yesterday - it's the Mothercare bedside one, and should do her for 2 years. Hopefully, by then I can get a kiddy bed?

http://www.mothercare.ie/bedside-cot.html

Definitely not cheap and cheerful, but cheaper and bigger than other options.

cyning wrote: »
    The nice weather has reached the south west anyway... so it's probably on the way Silly :)

Got it thanks!

How r ye ladies coping with the heat today?

I thought it was tough going walking earlier, I didn't have far to go but it was like there was a barrier in front of me, it was weird. I felt like I was walking fast but going nowhere!!!

Other than that I've been grand. It was heavy last night but our bedroom is always like that because the sun sets right in front of the house. Getting black out blind for baby's room as the sun rises on that side of the house, be interesting to see how much heat it keeps out.

kildareash wrote: »
    How r ye ladies coping with the heat today?

I thought it was tough going walking earlier, I didn't have far to go but it was like there was a barrier in front of me, it was weird. I felt like I was walking fast but going nowhere!!!

Other than that I've been grand. It was heavy last night but our bedroom is always like that because the sun sets right in front of the house. Getting black out blind for baby's room as the sun rises on that side of the house, be interesting to see how much heat it keeps out.

i'm really tired because of the sun...i practically work in a glass house, the windows are open but i'm not feeling any cool breeze or anything.
    5pm cannot come fast enough.

Yeah this day is really dragging for some reason, must be the heat. It's a tricky one as I obviously really like it with the sun etc but not to work in!

I can't really do any walking as I just get too sore. I'm disappointed as I quite like walking. Maybe the yoga will help sort things enough that I can take little walks without crippling myself again.

Our bedroom is in a loft conversion so it can get very warm up there. We have a great black out blind on the velux window (it literally makes it like night time).

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

I really like heat and sun

i feel great

my boss is coming tomorrow to the office so it will be hard day but weekend us ahead :-D

Cyning, I just heard on radio Kerry that there is a free baby/maternity fair on in the Carlton in Tralee on Sunday!
    ( my friend is a radio Kerry Dj incase you are wondering why a cork person was listening to radio kerry)

silly wrote: »
    Cyning, I just heard on radio Kerry that there is a free baby/maternity fair on in the Carlton in Tralee on Sunday!
    ( my friend is a radio Kerry Dj incase you are wondering why a cork person was listening to radio kerry)

How did I miss out that that was on? Thanks :)

I've heard re that feeding position before & wondered about it. I think it's called "laid back" feeding.

Just got the angelcare monitor on Donedeal for 45 which includes the postage. Never used & still in the box, nice one :cool:

I'm pretty sure that's what she called it :) she was pretty impressed with it. Three of the six it worked for had either flat or inverted nipples so it was a position that worked for them...seemed a pretty natural position to my not got a clue knowledge :D

Great deal on the angelcare!

• Advertisement

Do u think can the heat effect braxton hicks? I know I haven't drank as much water as I should have either today, but I've been getting them all afternoon. I think it was WTE said if u have six or more in an hour to ring doc, and they're not that frequent. I timed it from half three to half four and I had about 3. But they're quiet tight and uncomfortable.

Advertisement