Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Stock dropping by the second.......don't see it lasting another half an hour......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Stock dropping by the second.......don't see it lasting another half an hour......
    132 people are about to buy this
    :eek: :)

Edit: That is with 8 remaining in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Shiny wrote: »
    :eek: :)

Edit: That is with 8 remaining in stock!

Frantic entering of credit card details going on all over the UK and Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

ah crap, I wanted two of these :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I thought ebuyer didn't ship here anymore? Unless they accept parcel motel addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

and it's back AGAIN! :D

although only for pre-order, but at £109 after cashback it's still pretty bloody good!

and yes, €3.50 for parcel motel delivery to ireland from the north. :)

255351.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

CAn you definitely claim cashback for ireland? Couldn't find any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

vibe666 wrote: »
    and it's back AGAIN! :D

although only for pre-order, but at £109 after cashback it's still pretty bloody good!

and yes, €3.50 for parcel motel delivery to ireland from the north. :)
    Delivery to Northern Ireland is £10 extra isnt it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

paddyp wrote: »
    CAn you definitely claim cashback for ireland? Couldn't find any info.

Yeah, I did but I bought from elara at the time I think.

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    Delivery to Northern Ireland is £10 extra isnt it ?
    not sure, I'm just on my phone at the minute, maybe someone could try a check out to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dammer

not sure, I'm just on my phone at the minute, maybe someone could try a check out to see?

Page 55 #816 of this thread says that as long as it was purchased from an approved supplier then Irish buyers also qualify for the cashback.

There is also a pdf claim form linked there which covers up to March 2013. Lets hope HP do the same with this offer...

I'm keeping my eye on this, would love to get one and build a streaming media centre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭clevtrev

this seems to be the form although a little confuddled as it says a 60 euro rebate at the top of the page but later on says 120.

[https://h41268.www4.hp.com/live/index.aspx?qid=16379&jumpid=ex_r861_ie/en/large/tsg/marcom-mu_chev/focuspack

PA0060-HP_Microserver_€60_Cashback_May_2013_v1_0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

This is a little slow for what I want it for, would upgrading the ram make much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is a little slow for what I want it for, would upgrading the ram make much of a difference?

Depends what you want it for.

Dammer wrote: »
    Page 55 #816 of this thread says that as long as it was purchased from an approved supplier then Irish buyers also qualify for the cashback.
    that's great, but doesn't have anything remotely to do with the post I was responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭clevtrev

another 500 sold out again. A lot of people building home servers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have the n40l and i think its great. For the money you would not go near building something comparable.

It is a little loud though, I would not use it as a media box.

I use mine as a media/dev box. Mine is up in my office under my desk and is fine for that (my pc is louder than it).

The case is what makes it, its so easy to add/remove drives. Install the hotswap bios and your laughing. I've bought the bits and pieces for putting the main HDD into the CD slot but I haven't got around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭randombar

I have the n40l and i think its great. For the money you would not go near building something comparable.

It is a little loud though, I would not use it as a media box.

I use mine as a media/dev box. Mine is up in my office under my desk and is fine for that (my pc is louder than it).

The case is what makes it, its so easy to add/remove drives. Install the hotswap bios and your laughing. I've bought the bits and pieces for putting the main HDD into the CD slot but I haven't got around to it yet.

You don't have a thread on what you did to yours?

I've set mine up with windows server 2008, software raid 5 etc.

Looking back I should have probably chanced ubuntu since the rest of my network is mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I intended to keep a blog of what I did, but as per usual i didnt have the follow through!

I threw a couple of things up:
    http://witnessmenow.blogspot.com/

You could dual boot it with ubuntu to try out to see if you like it.

If you arent familiar with ubuntu I'd probably stick a desktop version on instead of the server. You will have a nice graphical interface when logging directly onto the box then (I have server and I only have a command line if a hook the N40L to a monitor). If you have any questions on setting it up feel free to ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Have a look at UnRaid too. That's what I run on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya I have sickbeard and a few more running on it so I would probably be looking for something more meaty than UnRaid.

Might take a look at Raid5 on Ubuntu see how straightforward it is.

One issue is transferring data off existing 6TB Raid5 onto something else, reformat and transfer back on to ubuntu raid5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've FreeNas running on mine, with sickbeard,couchpotato, headphones and transmission all working fine. I upgraded it to 4GB of RAM, and have a 2TB HDD and a 1 TB HDD in it. I'm not running any backup or anything though.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ya I have sickbeard and a few more running on it so I would probably be looking for something more meaty than UnRaid.
    Unraid can run Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Headphones, SabNZBD, uTorrent Server, Plex among others. There may be other applications you need that it won't support. The issues you mention with migrating raid is one of the attractions of UnRAID. Horses for courses though.

I was finding that my N40L was struggling and the web GUIs were unresponsive, but I've added 4GB of RAM and it's zippy now.

I have about 8.25 TB in storage in my server now. But I am only using a fraction of that. Won't need to worry about HDDs for a few years hopefully.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I grabbed one of these on pre-order. I wonder when the next batch will be released?

I plan to use this as my media server with SabNZB, SickBeard and couchpotato installed. Possibly using UnRaid as the O/S. I'm going to need to purchase a few new hard drives! So excited because I've been turning my computer on and off just to stream to my Pi, it will be great to have a dedicated media centre.

for anyone who pre-ordered at the weekend or who is looking to order soon, i just got an email from ebuyer saying that they have a 7-10 day lead time on more of these coming in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

for anyone who pre-ordered at the weekend or who is looking to order soon, i just got an email from ebuyer saying that they have a 7-10 day lead time on more of these coming in.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to America for 3 weeks on the 10th of June, looks like I won't get to have a play before I go :(

Be careful that the seller you purchase off is eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ccl only get 2.5 stars on trustpilot. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Advertisement