Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I've been lucky with the mornign sickness- I had a few days of really bad nausea and some dry heaving, but never actually vomitting. I think it's at least partially due to eating all the time, and also taking a B Viamin complex in the mornings (B 6 is supposed to help against nausea).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Is there something wrong that I haven't had morning sickness? I'm eating like a horse!

Nah gaeilgegrinds, you were just lucky! Most, but not all women get m/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I was blessed, I had a couple of hours of feeling ill spread out over the first few months, most of the time I didn't feel pregnany at all as I had no symptoms whatsoever. It was quite worrying at times, even though it's quite normal, I kept thinking something was wrong becuase I wasn't feeling any of the little things that let you know your pregnant, no sore boobs, no sickness, nothing.

Can't mistake it now though...not when you can't see your feet over the huge bump! :D

Due tomorrow...can someone please tell my son that his lease is up!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Is there something wrong that I haven't had morning sickness? I'm eating like a horse!

I was the exact same - infact it was the prmanent hunger that was the first indication for me. I swear I was like a Hobbitt 2 breakfasts and dinners at leas every day!!

• Advertisement

Me too, I ate like a horse...and still managed to lose weight in the first trimester, doc even thought it was unusual. Made up for it late on though, I look like an egg with legs at the moment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

On my third i had m/s the whole way through - until the morning I delivered and I only put on 7 lbs altogether and delivered a 9lb 3 oz baby!! But i could eat for ireland the whole way through!

I had the "pregnancy talk" with my boss in work yesterday, which as kinda funny- he is lovely, but very gay, and kept saying if I'd prefer to talk to a woman could talk to my boss' boss' boss (who I hardly know and has no kids....). Upshot of the talk is that we will be hiring my maternity leave replacement in early November, to be ready to take over by the end of November, in case I have to leave work early or go on restricted duties (I work in event management, so the holiday season is our busiest, and it involves lots of standing and dealing with angry, stressful customers). It's nice I won't have to worry about that, as I do like my job and didn't want to let them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

Hey girls! I am just back from my two weeks holidays. Had a very relaxing time and now ready for the last trimester!

I had my appointment in hospital yesterday and all is well. My supossed SPD is a loooot better. I have an appointment with the physio this week, and lets see what she says.

I will be 28 weeks on Friday! I am sooo looking forward to October.

Elen wrote:
    I had my appointment in hospital yesterday and all is well. My supossed SPD is a loooot better..

Thats good to hear, I had a touch of that for a while, tis a nasty painful thing.

Well i'm still hangin on in there, looks like it'll be an august babs after all!

• Advertisement

Shelli,

It looks like your baby is a bit too confy there.
    Are you getting impacient? I heard that when they are overdue mamis get very nervous...
    It could happen any time!

Extremely impatient, had a lovely day yesterday though, got up and went for a walk in the morning sun about 7am, then came back and had some brekkie and pottered around for a while. My and my OH then went walking the the Botanic Gardens for around an hour, the sun was fab, then had some lunch with my mam and went for a drive. Still no movement though.

I don't mind him being a bit late....must be taking after his daddy who is so laid back and late for everything :D

I just really want to avoid being induced, but I've been told they will wait until I'm 14days over so fingers crossed he'll make his apprearance before then!

On the SPD, if you feel it's coming back make sure to ask to see your physio straight away, not sure what hospital your going to but the physiotherapy dept in Holles St is very good.

Shelli, I am in Holls. I am actually just back from an appointment and it went really well. They have given me a support belt and my God, it makes such a difference! walking with it is like if someone was carrying your belly!
    I have to go back in a couple of weeks and they are going to let me know about delivery, as there are certain postures that are better than others.

I believe they do not induce until 2 weeks after, so it is good cos I am sure the little one will be out before.
    I believe induced labours are a lot harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I didnt' find that to be the case but it did find it a lot quicker.

It depends on how it is induced there are a list of things they will try before putting in the drip.

They will removed the plug at the neck of the womb to see if that will start labour,
    they will break the waters to see if that will bring on labour as well as a few other things.

I went 13 days over on my second child what really hot july 7 years ago and cried with relief when I was told that I was going to be giving birth the next day.

I was admited to the induction ward in the rotunda at 8:30 and put in my nightdress and a signed a bed. There were 8 other over mammys in the ward,
    one had to have a section as the baby was in breach position ie trying to come out arse first.

They broke my waters by 9:45am and waited and nothing happened.
    This worked for two of the women so now there was 5 of us still waiting.

By 11am I was on the drip which contains a chemical which is the same as the hormoane the body produces to make the womb contract.

The dosage on it was upped every 15 mins to get labour to start.
    by noon there were two of us left and by 1 pm I only one sill in the the ward.

I have a prety high pain tolerance and while I was having contractions they were not what i considered painful. I was put on a contraction monitor
    and the midwife looked at me puzzled as to why I was not finding it painfil as they were hitting a 6 on the scale.

By 1:25pm I was deep brething and saying 'ooooouuuuuuuuuchhhhhiiieeeeee'
    and the midwife said good that one was a 9 on the scale time to get you to delivery room.

I was asses upon arival and was found tobe 4 cm dialated and then sortly after had a short burst eipdural administered.

By 4:20pm my daughter was born by normal vaginal delivery, but I had need an episiotmy but i had need one with my first as well.

Over all the duration of the labour was shorter but I found it less grueling then
    the 8 hours of instensive labour I had with my first.

Second labours are supposed to be easier than first ones anyway so maybe this helped too?

I've heard lots of positive and nagative stories about being induced, but research and statistics show that your more likely to need intervention (episiotomy, forceps, vacum...) with an induced labour, and are at a higher risk of needing an emergency section. But obviously they wouldn't induce if they didn't feel the need, much better than putting the baby at risk. I'll go with whatever the doc says is best, but we all have the perfect birth planned out in our heads don't we? And if we have the choice we're going to stick to a plan as close to that as possible. It all just depends on preferance I guess.

I'd prefer a slow labour with as little pain meds and intervention as possible, where as my best friend who is due in November thinks i'm mad, she's hoping for a speedy one with as much pain meds as possible! :D

Shelli wrote:

I'd prefer a slow labour with as little pain meds and intervention as possible, where as my best friend who is due in November thinks i'm mad, she's hoping for a speedy one with as much pain meds as possible! :D

I don't want to scare anyone, but I had avery slow natural labour and it was really exhausting. The contractions were manageable but the lack of sleep nearly drove me to dementia - seriously. I ended up having the epidural because I was so exhausted. I had a vaginal birth assisted by ventouse & episiotmy but this was more due to babs being "back to back" (face up) than anything else. If I was going again I'd be praying for a speedy labour tbh.

I definitely rather a quick labour and all the epidural needed. I have heard that the lack of sleep, food and water make you absolutely exausted.

Ah you had a stargazer baby :)

My first was a stargazer, they exit the whomb with thier nose pointing towards the mother's tummy instead of the normal way of nose towards the mother's bum.

I had needed forceps to get him out as he got stuck and had a big head like his father.

I had been completely fine and clam with the labour right up until what I had tought would be the final pushes and then the mid wife ran for the phone to get the dr on call.

Thinking about it was quiet funny having him pushing aganst the delivery bed with his foot and pulling with his arms and the midwife grasping around the middle to help and the forceps were cold.

Slow labour is very exhausting esp as the vaginal canal can dry up which is not conducive to pushing.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Ah you had a stargazer baby :)

I had been completely fine and clam with the labour right up until what I had tought would be the final pushes and then the mid wife ran for the phone to get the dr on call.

Stargazer baby is a lovely discription

I was calm enough even when the midwife legged it to the phone (probably due to the massive epi & huge doses of gas & air!) OH on the other hand didn't know what was going on & got a bit of a fright.

It is funny how you forget alot of the details so quickly. I rememebr saying to friends that I'd never forget a moment of my (incredibly long) labour, but 2 &1/2 years later the memories really have faded - how convenient!! :D

That is the effect of the hormon oxitocin (the one that provokes the contractions) apparently it makes you forget about it all... Otherwise many people wouldnt have a second and third one!

• Advertisement

I never heard that before and I can recall everything about both my labours and birth.
    We dont' recall what that level of pain or discomfort is like, we know we were in it but we dont' recall it exactly.

Also when you are chemically induced you body is not making oxitocin and a chemical that mimics it is used.

Spoke to my Mom a lot about this. I took a long time as a baby, she says it was easy. Honestly didn't hurt that much. She concetrated on breathing & yoga techniques & amazed nurses.Stayed at home for about 18 hours & then went in for 3 hours. Was walking 40 minutes later.

However all subsequent babies were rushed, she seems to think that there is a rush on now. I seriously think being left would suit me better!

I thought oxytocin was the name for the synthetic chemical they use? At least thats what they call it in Holles St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Shelli wrote:
    Second labours are supposed to be easier than first ones anyway so maybe this helped too?

I've heard lots of positive and nagative stories about being induced, but research and statistics show that your more likely to need intervention (episiotomy, forceps, vacum...) with an induced labour, and are at a higher risk of needing an emergency section. But obviously they wouldn't induce if they didn't feel the need, much better than putting the baby at risk. I'll go with whatever the doc says is best, but we all have the perfect birth planned out in our heads don't we? And if we have the choice we're going to stick to a plan as close to that as possible. It all just depends on preferance I guess.

Hi Shelli,

Just to give you my own, very positive, experience of induced labour.

I was brought in to be induced when I was 11 days overdue. I was admitted to the ante-natal ward at 8pm, had first dose of Prostin gel at 10pm. I then got a full 8 hours sleep until I got the second dose of gel at 6am. I was wearing the monitor straps, which showed minor contractions happening, but honestly, I didn't even feel them. I went back to sleep until about 9.30, when my boyfriend arrived. By 11am, I was having tiny, tiny pains - no worse than a period pain. This went on from 11am to 1.15, by which stage I was 2cm dilated. They broke my waters at 1.30 and put the oxytocin drip up straight away. I was really only in any noticeable pain from 1.30 onwards. I started using gas and air around 2.30 - contractions were getting more intense (they were cranking up the oxytocin every 15 minutes). The midwifes encouraged me to get up and walk around - gravity is your friend when you're in labour, as it will bring the baby's head down onto the cervix and helps it open quicker. So, I was walking the corridors, me dragging the drip around and my boyfriend dragging the gas and air. I went into the bathroom at about 3pm and stayed there until 3.50, when my gas and air ran out. I went back to the labour ward to get more gas and air, but as I was trying to get up onto the bed, I felt a sudden, violent urge to push. I was fighting it as I was sure it was too quick. I told the midwife I needed to push - she was skeptical but helped me onto the bed to examine me. Low and behold, I was 10cm and my daughters head was visible. I was brought into the Delivery Suite at about 4.05 - at this stage the contractions, whilst still happening, were barely noticeable because all I wanted to do is push. The midwives got me pushing then - at first I was doing it all wrong, but I got into a position where I was sitting up and hanging my bum off the end of the bed.. It made a huge difference as again, gravity was helping me. I think I pushed maybe 4-6 times in total and she was born at 4.32, 12 days overdue, weighing 8lb 2oz - a big enough size.

In total, I was in "labour" for 3 hours and 2 minutes. No episiotomy, no forceps, no vacuum. I laboured on my own for most of it, which I preferred. I think the only thing they did as intervention was to put a scalp monitor on her head at the very end as she was having some decelerations during the pushing (they later said that the quick onset of labour and delivery can make a baby very tired and have decel's, so it was more precautionary than anything else). After she was born she was whisked away from me very quickly, but there was nothing wrong - there had been meconium present in the amniotic fluid and they just whisked her off to suction her lungs, nose and mouth asap to stop MAS from happening.

Induction for me was great. Obviously, I'd have liked to go into labour on my own, but I had had four membrane sweeps that hadn't worked... If I had gone on for much longer, DD would have been bigger (they're piling on a half a pound a week when they are term or overdue) and possibly harder to deliver. Postmature babies can have as many problems as premature babies too - a lot of people don't realise that. If I was offered induction again if I went 10+ days over, personally I'd take it. Yes, its true that sometimes women need forceps, ventouse or episiotomies, but you could easily need any of those if you went into labour on your own.

Good luck... I can't imagine you'll be waiting too much longer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

Well I am pregnant with my first baby, and am due in January. 16 weeks tomorrow. I haven't been too sick (although there were days.....) but for me it was the tiredness that I found hardest to get used to. Nausea is nearly gone......again it depends on the day but overall I'm beginning to feel a bit more like me.

As for labour, I'm in the camp of I'll take as much drugs as is on offer:p but I don't wanna think about it too much just yet.

40 +6 today, spent last night in Holles St and was sent home empty handed and very dissapointed at 10.30am this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Shelli wrote:
    41 +6 today, spent last night in Holles St and was sent home empty handed and very dissapointed at 10.30am this morning.
    Poor you - hope it happens soon for you - you have my sympathy - I went over on all 3 of mine 13 days on number 1, 1 day on number 2 and 12 days on number3 (well 16 days by my dates:eek: ) , but it is all worth it in the end!

Try a hot curry, some sex & jumping. Have heard they work...

Try a hot curry, some sex & jumping. Have heard they work...

Have tried everything under the sun at this stage! :D Every old wives tale going, I think i'll book some acupuncture see if that can help.

• Advertisement

Reflexology with a registered practitioner & you'll be there in no time! My neighbour uses it every time & she has 3 under four. Worked everytime!

Advertisement