Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

KevIRL wrote: »
    Loko sounds good. Down with hot stones though, if I'm paying good money for a steak, then I expect it cooked for me and the way I asked for it to be cooked.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I wonder do you have the option when ordering a steak for them to finish the cooking.

Don't understand the hot stone thing at all.

Looking forward to trying it though.

Menu isn't up online anywhere is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Was in Sheehan's Restaurant again recently, gorgeous food at really reasonable prices and great service. Also in Bodega last weekend, really enjoyed the food, love the atmosphere in there and again great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ate in Bodega on Thurs night, which offered it's usual consistently solid performance.

Three of us had pork belly for our main which was very well cooked. Chicken Caesar Salads and Chicken Wings for starters also were well seasoned and had lots of flavour. Portions were also very good which is a bonus for me.

Decent selection of drinks. Got some Dungarvan Pale Ale, which is slightly pricey @ €6.

Enjoyable evening, but very surprised by how quiet both they and town were in general. They had to cancel some staff due to come in that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Was in MClearys last night for a birthday, as always everything went very well, seafood crepe was delicious and steak was cooked to perfection. The continually do the simple things really well and staff are very attentive and obliging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I was recently in the Olive tree for a meal.
    The food was gorgeous, the service was great & the price was fair. I was in with the OH, and we both got 3 dishes, both got dessert, and a bottle of wine between us, and we got change from 75 quid.
    I'll definitely be going back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Had been a good spot for food but of late it appears to have lost its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

How have people been finding Loko recently? It had some teething problems after opening by all accounts. We live nearby and were thinking of going there at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Brendão wrote: »
    How have people been finding Loko recently? It had some teething problems after opening by all accounts. We live nearby and were thinking of going there at the weekend.
    I was in there on Friday night!
    Couldn't fault the food or the service. Great atmosphere in there as it was packed.
    Everyone with me got the steak and loved it. I asked the waiter what he'd recommend, and he said the braised beef cheeks. It was the tenderest meat dish I've ever had. Gorgeous.
    The cookies, meringue and salted caramel dessert was fantastic!

If they had had teething problems, they weren't evident on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Brendão wrote: »

I was there two weeks ago.

Service was very good, and the food was top notch.
    Like others have said, a lot of people were getting the steak and it smelt and looked very good.
    Went for the meat platter myself - it was fantastic. The beef cheek and the pork belly being the stand-outs.
    The sides were all great as well.

Will be going back

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Had been a good spot for food but of late it appears to have lost its way.

They are often understaffed, and I think the menu is too ambitious for pub grub. Lots of it is deep fried, which is fine, but the "posher stuff" on the menu really isn't up to scratch. I had cod mornay one night, and it was drowned in a sloppy cheese sauce; cod mornay should have some sauce on it, but there was way too much. And it was very hot, like it had been microwaved. Not good enough.

I enjoy going there for burgers and steaks but they should limit their range and concentrate on quality.

I went to PaPa Thai tonight, had a lovely meal. Hard to beat in terms of quality and reliability. I usually like a restaurant to be innovative and to change menus regularly, but it's go good to go to PaPa Thai, and get exactly the same thigns as you got when it was Tuk Tuk Thai, over a decade ago. Mixed starters are so good...

It's tempting just to get a take away, but nice now and then to in and sit down and relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Eat in eastenders on the key quay there a few weeks ago was quite nice and for €9.99 for the early bird you cant go wrong. Had a lamb shish kebab witch was very tasty and nicely spiced while for mains i had my fave curry a chicken madras the rice and the nan bread was also really nice.

But have fave indian is still little india who's curry and nam bread is a step above everyone else in town.

Also went to revolution in waterford there this week 1st time in a while for food. Burger was ok could have been hotter had a felling it could have been sitting there for a while before it was brought to us the person i was with barely eat hers but she also liked the chips.

Is that PaPa Thai ok ? as i work fairly close to there and do they open for lunch ?. As i used to go to Sabi or what ever its called and the last 2 times it was fairly poor.

Eat in eastenders on the key quay there a few weeks ago was quite nice and for €9.99 for the early bird you cant go wrong. Had a lamb shish kebab witch was very tasty and nicely spiced while for mains i had my fave curry a chicken madras the rice and the nan bread was also really nice.

But have fave indian is still little india who's curry and nam bread is a step above everyone else in town.

Also went to revolution in waterford there this week 1st time in a while for food. Burger was ok could have been hotter had a felling it could have been sitting there for a while before it was brought to us the person i was with barely eat hers but she also liked the chips.

Is that PaPa Thai ok ? as i work fairly close to there and do they open for lunch ?. As i used to go to Sabi or what ever its called and the last 2 times it was fairly poor.
    PaPa Thai is great. Have been for lunch only once, but the food is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Looking forward to trying Momo's following this review

http://beccasnums.blogspot.ie/2014/11/momo-reasonable-prices-for-out-of-this.html
    Tonight Mr foodie and I treated ourselves to a meal in Waterford newest eatery located at 47 Patrick street. It opened yesterday and I was very excited to try it out. The menu was very different and full of choice. We especially love the idea of the sharing platters.(2 people or more you may pic 2 of the meaty,fishy or veggie options and they will make you a tasting platter out of that)
    I often want a bite of everything so this would be the ideal solution for someone like me.
    I also liked that you can pick starter sized options just in case you do in fact want a few plates of different food too.
    The menu is incredibly smart. It insures variety while not being too ambitious, it also is incredibly how local everything seems to be sources from Aurelias cordials delicate cordials to Ballybeg greens. As much as possible is as local as possible that to me is what it is all about.
    I tried the Monkfish carpacio. Which strictly speaking is a starter but I got two side orders to bulk it up. Patatas bravas and sarah bread plate with hummus apple spices butter and chili. The spiced butter stole the show for me on the bread plate followed closley by the hummus which was stunning too. The chili was'nt to my taste, but i am sure others would adore it. As for the carpacio of monk fish. WOW It was just incredible. Presented on a bed of thinly sliced beetroot, the monk fish was sitttng so fresh topped off by a candied lemon slice. All together worked perfectly, but I have to say I ate one of the candied lemons by it self, and i am glad i did. The taste sensation was worth having one carpacio without it. Incredible dish. The patatas bravas were tasty and topped with salsa and with the chili from the dip, they where a quality side.
    I forgot to mention I ordered and elder-flower drink. Very very tasty and a welcome option for those of us who do not drink, but enjoy tasty beverages with our meals.
    The hubby ordered the pine grove free range pork sausages. These where served on a bed of colcannon and kale with a tastefully thyme flavored jus to tie it all together. The kale was simply perfect. I can only assume pan friend in butter and sea salt cooked to perfection still a crunch but softness to it also. the sausages where his favorite part of the evening he described them as the tastiest part of the meal. and to be honest they where in my opinion second only to the lemon candy. and thats only because that lemon really did have pep in its flavor pop. The colcannon was creamy and perfectly flavored. We both commented how more often than not scallions are used to take over the creamy spud experience but this was not the case with these.
    I treated myself to desert as the mystery filling in the doughnuts really had me curious. but i think the poppyseed mascarpony on the plate with them was actually my favorite part. Much to my surprise. the doughnuts were very tasty and I think filled with salted caramel sauce or fruit coulie both flavoursome and yummy, but the mascapone poppyseed mix tasted incredible. I commented that it reminded me of Christmas so i think there may have been cinnamon in it to brig it all together.
    We both really enjoyed this meal and look forward to our return.
    It is wonderful to see local produce being showcased so originally in a very fairly priced venue. This is most certainly a restaurant I would recommend you try if you are looking for tasty different and affordable. This is the first week so as usual there were teething problems but everything was dealt with professionally and perfectly. I wish all at Momo the very best success

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's a great review.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Whywhywhy85

The sausages come from pine grove farm which you can buy in ardkeen stores. The owner of pine grove happens to be the chef in momo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

The sausages come from pine grove farm which you can buy in ardkeen stores. The owner of pine grove happens to be the chef in momo.

They're lovely sausages alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

was in Burzza (Burger and Pizza on John St) recently, really nice dinner overall, good burger, surprisingly in a good way spicy Mex burger, not overpowering, a little bit more expensive than you might pay for other burgers say in Eddie rockets but much nicer surroundings and they have metalman and other beers/wines if you are inclined. Staff nice and it was busy enough when i was in there at lunch time. we got 2 burgers so dont know what pizza is like. Ideal place for a few friends out for dinner, couple drinks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Wanted to try Momo last week. Walked in the door and was hit the strangest smell, really strong chemical or fume smell. My wife said no way as soon as we smelt it. walked back out the door and went to Bodega.

A friend said it smelt the same on Saturday also.

Anyone else experience this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Wanted to try Momo last week. Walked in the door and was hit the strangest smell, really strong chemical or fume smell. My wife said no way as soon as we smelt it. walked back out the door and went to Bodega.

A friend said it smelt the same on Saturday also.

Anyone else experience this?

I was in there Saturday and didn't smell anything, food was the job though so there's my review.
    You don't work for Bodega by any chance? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Ill definitely go back to try it. Was just wondering if it was a usual thing with the place.

No no, i don't work for any restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is it possible they had just bleached te floors? My mum seems to block out the smell of bleach after years of exposure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Any Burzza reviews? Seems pricey enough but is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

deadybai wrote: »
    Any Burzza reviews? Seems pricey enough but is it worth it?

I was in there this week, and I won't be returning.

€10 for a standard pizza and as soon as you ask for one additional topping the price becomes 14.50 (the same is true for as many toppings as you'd like though)

The pizzas did nothing for me. They were very wet...as in you couldn't eat it in your hands as it's not very sturdy...sauce and tomatoes too watery.

The same price for a 5oz burger is a bit ridiculous too.

Not for me.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Is it possible they had just bleached te floors? My mum seems to block out the smell of bleach after years of exposure!

I was in Momo tonight and there was no smell.

The food was brilliant - there were eight of us and we ordered sharing platters. €16.50 per head, and you get a huge selection of different foods to taste. We were absolutely stuffed.

The decor could be a bit better. It's a big room, and despite the tables, felt a bit empty and cold. There are two big industrial air vents along the wall which would look ok if the decor were industrial, but just look bizarre. The blue walls were cold and plain.

The waiting staff were lovely, and very helpful. I'd definitely go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

MOMO tonight - great - worth supporting; great food and staff very helpful. space is good; fill it and atmosphere follows - like any venue. Potential here is big - bit of food of quality, wine, on to film or pubs or reverse that.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Yeah myself and my husband were in Momo last Saturday night and have to say can't fault it. We really enjoyed it and will definitely be going back again

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Loko:

Is it really acceptable to serve a piece of steak on a plate with NOTHING else?

So it forces you to purchase veg and or potatoes or chips?

I ordered steak thinking that it would come with something...was amazed to just get a piece of meat on a plate. It looks very poor and is giving a bad image of the price policy. even if there was a bit of salad to fill the plate or something?

thoughts, comments?

• Advertisement

Loko:

Is it really acceptable to serve a piece of steak on a plate with NOTHING else?

So it forces you to purchase veg and or potatoes or chips?

I ordered steak thinking that it would come with something...was amazed to just get a piece of meat on a plate. It looks very poor and is giving a bad image of the price policy. even if there was a bit of salad to fill the plate or something?

thoughts, comments?
    Fair point. But I suppose if it makes it clear on the menu that sides are extra, then all you can expect is the meat itself....

Advertisement