Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gold Rush.

• 20-07-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I was just thinking recently. Suppose, even today I guess with oil etc, but back in the day someone would discover gold and suddenly everyone in the local area is in the moutains panning for it.

Would the sudden wealth in that town/area cause inflation?

However even if this did happen I guess you would have to factor in all the new people coming to the town (in hopes of also cashing in on this gold)- the sudden influx of new people would probably help balance it out again?

Or maybe Im wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

h.bolla wrote: »
    I was just thinking recently. Suppose, even today I guess with oil etc, but back in the day someone would discover gold and suddenly everyone in the local area is in the moutains panning for it.

Would the sudden wealth in that town/area cause inflation?

However even if this did happen I guess you would have to factor in all the new people coming to the town (in hopes of also cashing in on this gold)- the sudden influx of new people would probably help balance it out again?

Or maybe Im wrong?
    It wouldn't cause inflation because prices are generally set at a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It wouldn't cause inflation because prices are generally set at a national level.

That's right...All the multinationals with their HQ in Dublin have caused prices in Leitrim and Sligo to keep up with Dublin generally.

@h.bolla regarding your example, check out Melbourne...that's pretty much how the city came into being.

Advertisement