Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

Gave up drink for the first time since I started drinking ,when I was about 17, a couple of months ago. Went 7 weeks and genuinely didn't miss it a bit. I've drank maybe 3 times since and have decided I'm going off it again.

I'm 21 and my motivation is going to be my attempt to improve my fitness and save money so I can make a break from this island. It's going to be a struggle as I'm starting my 4th year in college next week and my college friends love a session. Come to think of it, so do my friends at home. Great feeling of satisfaction the next day when you realise that all of your friends are dying and you're up and fresh though.

Best of luck to everyone trying to kick it, it's worth it. A sober Ireland could take over the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Libadour wrote: »
    Gave up drink for the first time since I started drinking ,when I was about 17, a couple of months ago. Went 7 weeks and genuinely didn't miss it a bit. I've drank maybe 3 times since and have decided I'm going off it again.

I'm 21 and my motivation is going to be my attempt to improve my fitness and save money so I can make a break from this island. It's going to be a struggle as I'm starting my 4th year in college next week and my college friends love a session. Come to think of it, so do my friends at home. Great feeling of satisfaction the next day when you realise that all of your friends are dying and you're up and fresh though.

Best of luck to everyone trying to kick it, it's worth it. A sober Ireland could take over the world!

Hi Libadour,
    You have an outstanding attitude for one so young and you are an inspiration for other young'uns wondering if all this binge drinking is wise after all. Don't get me wrong, I did more than my fair share of it in my youth and well beyond and it's because of this I wasted many days, bucketloads of hard earned cash and frankly, dignity in some cases which makes me wish I had had an attitude like yours in the first place. Well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Well done everyone, great attitude in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stoppress

Well I am 19 months on the dry. Only signed up to boards the other day so plenty to get used to around here and really anything to take up some time the weekends and evening is a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

7 months.
    My life today is immeasurably better in every way.
    For the first time I can envisage the rest of my life without alcohol.
    Im never going back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 baileatha

Sober 5.5 months thank God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

I love coming and reading the threads here.

they're so great and make me feel so good.

I love reading about everyone here who is sober and healthy and then dipping over to AH or the drinking forums and reading about all the dipsos drinking ten cans and a naggin every saturday night. oh how I pity them. If they came over to the dark side they'd never turn back.

Morpheus needs to start dishing out some more blue pills, the entire nation has their head buried in the sand, alcohol is a poison and a scourge on this country, it ruins lives, careers, families, relationships.

stay clean,stay clear, the dreaded juice is the devil's bait.

oh, PS, as of midnight, I'm 365 days today and never felt better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I love reading about everyone here who is sober and healthy and then dipping over to AH or the drinking forums and reading about all the dipsos drinking ten cans and a naggin every saturday night. oh how I pity them. If they came over to the dark side they'd never turn back.

Morpheus needs to start dishing out some more blue pills, the entire nation has their head buried in the sand, alcohol is a poison and a scourge on this country, it ruins lives, careers, families, relationships.

Well done on your 365 days :)

Congrats on being sober 365 days.

Well done, less then 3 weeks until I am a year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stoppress

Northclare wrote: »

Well done on your 365 days :)

Blue pills... nom nom nom... morpy how much are they....whhaaaa jesus... :D
    Keep the comments coming people...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Dont laugh - 8 days.

Its tough going:o

Dont laugh - 8 days.

Eight days sober is better than an 8 day binge,no one will laugh at you here.

Dont laugh - 8 days.

Well done on your 8 (probably 9 at this stage) days of sobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Thanks for the encouragement.

Feckin tesco put the great discount beers beside the entrance when i walked in. Had to run past but compensate myself with some chocolate.

They dont make it easy.

Come on day 10.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Thanks for the encouragement.

Feckin tesco put the great discount beers beside the entrance when i walked in. Had to run past but compensate myself with some chocolate.

They dont make it easy.

Come on day 10.:rolleyes:

Hi 2lazytogetup Plan social activities with SOBER people.
    Have reading material around that aids you in your sobriety. (i.e. biographies of people who have sobered up and how they did it, AA or other literature, etc.)

Sobriety is my Num 1 priority every single day. It has to be. I put a lot of effort into it. But my reward is that the obsession to drink has left me. I don't get strong urges to drink any more. To me? My efforts are all worth while. So get your plan made out,write it down and be ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joyce88

Day 9!!!

• 11 days and it is not one bit easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

11 days and it is not one bit easy :D

you picked a good time to give it up with Donegal after wining Sam best of luck anyway

• I know and I am going to vegas for 10 days at the weekend so if I get through that all should be good,its all or nothing with me so not going to wreck my hol by drinking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

207 days, and loving it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

Day 12!!Its hard graft,particularly when it seems to be any excuse in this country to go on the piss!Arthurs day,is probably the best PR event guinness have ever conceived!fair play to them but i don't personally see the point!there'l be a load of people overdoing it today,putting strain on the ambulance services,the cops,etc. not to mention the amount of heads that will be ringing in work tomorrow complaining about that one day flu that is sure to be doing the rounds!jaysus i sound like an aul fella!haha
    anyway that aside I've just started driving lessons so that is something to concentrate on as well as keep me away from boozing!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joyce88

This Arthur's day thing is marketing genius! Staying home tonight just incase I am tempted.

1 year today, been a long year. But the change in my life is unreal, countless things have improved for the better. I hope never to go back to that lifestyle I lived one day at a time ;)

1 year today, been a long year. But the change in my life is unreal, countless things have improved for the better. I hope never to go back to that lifestyle I lived one day at a time ;)

Congrats on being 1 year sober today! One day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Well done and congratulations. I passed the year mark a few months ago and to be honest, just 2 years ago, I never even dreamed of being in this position. I never thought I was capable of it, that I could survive life without alcohol. But here I am. And now, in fact, I wonder how I tolerated life WITH alcohol for so long. Real (sober) life is just so rewarding, it's another world.

I do wish more people would 'get' it though. It can be a bit lonely being the only teetotaller. The other day I was ask across a crowded bar 'So why did you decide to stop having fun then?'. Yes, probably a mistake going into that particular bar but you get the picture. I have to admit, this level of stupidity is rare but it's annoying all the same.

Anyway, well done Kendall Rapid Bug!!!!

Cheers Hubba, I'm of that frame of mind now too. Granted it did take a while to sink in but it has gladly. I've literally acheived more in this year then I had at any point in my life before. Lost a load of weight, got fit again, started to drive and now have a full licence, progressed in work, got halfway to my qualification in my profession( while drinking I hadn't passed one exam due to not studying or going into exams pissed from the night before) and most importantly I have a proper relationship with my family now. I don't threat them like **** anymore and we actually talk. I don't have that constant feeling of doom surrounding me and that feeling of there is no way out. Suicide was an option for me over a year ago. Unthinkable is what it is to me now. That is what can happen if you put the effort in, it isn't easy at all but if I can do it anyone can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lads & lassies ;) Just an opinion which mighten reflect on some or even any of you here but for me recovery is much more than merely remaining abstinence. Of course, maintaining abstinence is a necessary part of recovery and the core of your recovery program. But if you do not make healthy choices in all areas of your life, you will find it difficult to lead a satisfying, fulfilling life.
    One group of recovery experts published a definition of recovery as "a voluntarily maintained lifestyle characterized by sobriety, personal health, and citizenship." Personal health involves not only to physical and mental health, but also social health -- participation in family and social roles. Citizenship refers to "giving back" to the community and society.
    Even if you have been clean and sober continually for more than five years, you are still one slip away from a relapse. In spite of your success, you can continue your participation in your mutual support groups.
    After five years of sobriety you are much less likely to have a relapse and you may not have to spend as much conscious effort to maintain your sober lifestyle, but your continued recovery can be a lifelong process.Well done everyone its great to be sober & free.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

Sappa,

get involved in the partying go out with your mates, sit around chatting, dancing, signing and all the rest. Once you ahve done it once and not drank you will find it so much easier to move forward. It was something I had to do now I go out every weekend and drive and still do everything I would like the chatting and dancing and all the rest. If you keep avoiding these situations it will be much more difficult, I agree baby steps but once the first time is done you'll know its easier in future. Just have a get out plan, like if you really get an urge go out and call a mate or go for a stroll for 5 mins. Dont avoid the situations all your life or you'll be just putting off the inevitable.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

After all, getting sober is a bridge to normal living,what kept me sober might get you drunk and visa versa.
    I'm off it over 9 year's now and don't go out as much but when the opportunity arises I enjoy myself.

Just be wary of some strident non drinkers filling your head with **** about big books,and hang around a Barbour shop long enough you'll get a hair cut etc

They are just resentful at the fact you're enjoying yourself.....

Advertisement