Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Salmon

• 18-09-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

This may be a ridiculous question but can you catch salmon in a lake? A lake where the salmon cant get in from a river.

If so, do they spawn in the lake? Or are they stocked there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Im guessing this was a really dumb question by the looks of it :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There are some lakes in the UK where Atlantic Salmon are stocked, in a similar way as rainbows - put and take fisheries.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Rycn wrote: »
    Im guessing this was a really dumb question by the looks of it :o

Not really http://www.visitmaine.com/fishing/species/landlocked_salmon/

http://www.rktl.fi/english/fish/fish_atlas/atlantic_salmon/

I was looking at that link, it looks like they cant sustain themselves in a lake and that juvenile salmon need to spend the first couple of years in some sort of a stream in order to have any chance at survival. Also says they need to be stocked regulary in order to keep the numbers up.

"Most lakes do not have sufficient amounts of suitable spawning and nursery areas to produce wild salmon."

"Hatchery stockings are needed to maintain fisheries. Without regular stockings, salmon in these lakes would disappear entirely, or their numbers would be very, very low."

Damn, i was hoping there might be some form of this in Ireland :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you're interested in the lake-tributary version of the feed and grow at sea then spawn in rivers evolutionary behaviour in a salmonid, then google the word "croneen". You will find what you are looking for in an Irish trout - 2 weeks left to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

coolwings wrote: »
    If you're interested in the lake-tributary version of the feed and grow at sea then spawn in rivers evolutionary behaviour in a salmonid, then google the word "croneen". You will find what you are looking for in an Irish trout - 2 weeks left to get one.

Don't forget the dollaghan.

coolwings wrote: »
    Wow thats really interesting coolwings, thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Iam sure the Garyhill fishery in Carlow has salmon stocked in the lake. Was there 2 years ago and the owner was saying he had salmon stocked, it was only then that i realised that them silvery trout were salmon and not colourless trout:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

To hijack a thread, is there anywhere to go to still catch a salmon? Yet to catch one so hopefully I might have a bit of time left!!

thehamo wrote: »
    To hijack a thread
    prick...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

And here's me thinkin we were all friends here

thehamo wrote: »
    And here's me thinkin we were all friends here
    Of course! just messin with u there man :)

Advertisement