Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child care costs?

• 17-02-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all,

I was just wondering what would be the going rate for minding 2 children under 2 in thier own home 3 days a week from 8.30 until 5? I was thinking of €200 but is this enough or too much?
    Thanks in advance!

By the way I am in Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Might be hard to find someone to do those hours in your own home tbh. In a créche / childminders where there's other children it might be worth someone's while to take the children part-time but you'd be asking someone to work part-time in your own home with hours that could really impair their chances at earning more outside of those hours...

€200 works out at about €7.85 an hour which afaik is below minimum wage. It might tempt someone who's collecting the dole but that'd be illegal. If you were to pay minimum wage, you'd also need to pay PRSI contributions for your employee which would rise the costs again.

I don't know much about au-pairs but given the hours are part-time could that be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

I'll do it. Jobs are very hard to come by at the moment...can't afford to sniff at opportunities imo.

Please pm me OP.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 30 davidod

We need a child minder to look after our son from 8.30 until 4.30 in the afternoon.

He is 3 months old and my wife is self employed and needs to get back to work.........

We would like the minder to come to our house (in terenure)..........

Can anyone advise us what the going rate is for a child minder and what we should expect in terms of qualifications / references ?

Many thanks for your help with this........

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

There is a difference is the employment status of childminders who mind in their own homes and those who mind in the child's home.

A childminder that minds in her own home is self-employed and deals with her own tax and stamp etc.

If a childminder minds in the child's home then the parents are legally bound to register as employers with the Revenue and pay at least minimum wage, PRSI, holidays, other employer associated expenses etc. I know of cases where families have gotten in trouble with the Revenue for failing to register as employers and claiming not to know their legal responsibilities is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be wary of those laws as well. The Revenue / Welfare departments are going to start doing some major crack downs soon if they've not already started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd be wary of those laws as well. The Revenue / Welfare departments are going to start doing some major crack downs soon if they've not already started.

They already have started and the cases I heard of occured early last year and I've seen the same sort of thing on other forums. Revenue are leaving no stone unturned as they've to try and get as much money in as possible. They're also checking for people claiming benefits and working cash in hand as childminders which I personally think is a good thing.

I've also read of a case where a family were not so nice to the childminder so she quit minding their child, went to social welfare to see about claiming and the family hadn't registered as her employers nor had they paid her stamps so they ended up in trouble.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

davidod wrote: »
    We need a child minder to look after our son from 8.30 until 4.30 in the afternoon.

He is 3 months old and my wife is self employed and needs to get back to work.........

We would like the minder to come to our house (in terenure)..........

Can anyone advise us what the going rate is for a child minder and what we should expect in terms of qualifications / references ?

Many thanks for your help with this........

Dave

Minimum wage applies too.
    For a normal 8 - 6 day you are talking at least 100 euro.
    You normally end up employing a qualified nanny,a creche is far cheaper even if it will prob be 1000-1100 for a baby.Most creches won't take a 3 month old though.
    If it is less hours an au pair might be an option?
    A childminder minding a child in her own home is a lot cheaper and you do not need to pay her prsi,minimum wage etc.She can also earn 15k a year tax free from childminding which a minder in your home can not.

With regards to qualifications the minimum childcare requirement is fetac level 5 in childcare.This exlcudes someone looking after a child in their own home as it is not regulated in this country except by the choice of the childminder.

Advertisement