Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

no rack, no bars when I went up to have a look at it around 3-4 months ago. However given the lack of any decent gyms in swords you may want to go up to see if it is the best of a bad bunch for you

WTF! it's a gym. No rack or bars. Is there many angle adjusting benches?

I live 5 minutes away so I was hoping it would be decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

WTF! it's a gym. No rack or bars. Is there many angle adjusting benches?

I live 5 minutes away so I was hoping it would be decent enough.

truthfully I cant' remember, as there was no squat rack or even a bar to do some random stuff I didn't even bother looking at the rest. however as it has been under the new management a bit longer now this may have changed so if you are only 5 minutes away, just pop up and look

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jemima_b

truthfully I cant' remember, as there was no squat rack or even a bar to do some random stuff I didn't even bother looking at the rest. however as it has been under the new management a bit longer now this may have changed so if you are only 5 minutes away, just pop up and look

I checked out Energie Fitness Swords branch recently after Total Fitness died. One rack, 2-3 benches, one oly bar (another on the way, I was told), 2 sets of d/bs going up to 30+ kg. Free wts area quite small so could get busy a peak times. Good range of wts machines, all seem to be in good nick. Plenty for me but u may want more.

Gym seems to be aimed more at gerbils on treadmills than serious lifters.

JB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

SwedishCat wrote: »
    im 24 f, and would really like to join a gym in the dublin 2 area

any tips?? what about fitness dock on camden street? just found their website online...

also, i have never been to a gym in my life i have NO IDEA how the machines work ete etc so i need someone to help me, where can i find a personal trainer??

help much appreciated!!

All the best!

I was a member there, if you're looking for cardio it's fine but the weights area is very small.

I now train in Raw. When I first joined (about 2 years ago) I loved it, I still enjoy it but it's starting to get annoyingly packed in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I never understand why price is so important to some people???

If it suits you and you like the gym, whats the difference in €20 or so quid a month?

I believe it all comes down to value for money.

There are a few gyms which are significantly more expensive than other ones, yet they offer nothing more for the increased cost.

That's why people think they are overpriced and complain about the prices they charge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

ltc1987 wrote: »
    Hello,

I tried to call Crunch Temple Bar to get see how much membership costs, but they wouldn't disclose over the phone. Same with Energie. Can anyone tell me how much it costs?? Thanks!

last time i went in to get a price off them last summer it was up around 700 euro a year for it but saying that it is a very very snazy gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

Hi,

I've been a member of the Carlisle gym for quite a while but I don't like it very much anymore, gets very crowded, too many cardio machines and not enough weights for my liking.

I plan on going on a fitness regime soon as I did last summer as I've let myself go a bit but I was thinking about switching gyms as I've heard good things about RAW. I was out in IP with my Gaelic team until it shut down so going back to Carlisle just doesn't seem worth the time.

Any suggestions, or any other gyms that you good people would suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

vibez wrote: »
    Jaysus lads i rekin i got best deal goin on here,

NAC also has the machines that logs ur work out very handy indeed.

It's a great leisure centre, but the weights area in the gym is tiny and very limited. It'd be grand for cardio and swimming - lots of treadmills etc., and a massive Olympic pool, but not if you're interested in weight training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dumbbell

considering joining westwood clontarf .. anyone any feedback ? on the phone he said i can pay between 50 to 90 a month depending on package .. anyone any more on this .. going friday for a look see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

dumbbell wrote: »
    considering joining westwood clontarf .. anyone any feedback ? on the phone he said i can pay between 50 to 90 a month depending on package .. anyone any more on this .. going friday for a look see

I am a member in WW clontarf, though have not been there since Christmas gone as I have bought a power cage, weights, bench etc and set up a home gym.

While I was going I liked the place. It is a big spacious gym. Lots of cardio equipment which was in reasonable nick and faulty equipment was repaired fairly quickly.

There is also a good selection of weight machines and a couple of each type.

The are 2 free weight areas. 1 in the center of the gym and one at the back. There are a good number of benches (flat/Incline/Decline), 3 power cages, 1 squat rack, 5 bench press stations, 1 incline bench & 1 decline bench station.

There is a 160m indoor running track around the outskirts of the Gym

There are Oly bars (from 17kg-20kg) in each of the power cages, the squat rack and at all the bench press stations. There is a good amount of weights with plates up to 25kg. Good selection of dumbbells which go up to 50kg.

There is a good selection of classes available, most of which are free. They charge for pilates/yoga etc as tehy have to bring in an instructor from outside.

There is also the climbing wall, tennis/squash courts, 3 swimming pools (kids, 25m & 50M) plus the wet area which has the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi

I found the staff friendly and helpful when approached. The changing room, lockers, showers were clean.

There are two car parks, the one beside the gym which is usually busy and the overflow car park. I don't drive, so I cannot comment on how busy the overflow car park get.

They had a student rate, an off peak rate and a peak rate. Not too sure fo the student rate, but I think the off peak rate was around €55/mth and the peak rate (which I have) was €75/month.

They charge a joining free which you are usually told is €499. However this the only leaway the sales staff have to bargin with. I paid €99 as a joining fee and I have heard of others who paid as littel as €75.

A lot of folks critise WW as expensive, but as I went 6 days/week it worked out around €3.20 per visit. For the facilities I had available I did not think that this was expensive at all.

The downside is that I have heard that they picked up quite a bit fo the ex members from Total Fitness Coolock, and that the place can be quite busy now at peak times. As I haven't been there in the last 4 months I have no firsthand knowledge on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Ex-IP member here.Anybody know what are the best alternatives are now IP is closed? Ironside seems to be the best option for a similar set up but it's on the wrong side of the city!Looking for somewhere on the Northside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Ex-IP member here.Anybody know what are the best alternatives are now IP is closed? Ironside seems to be the best option for a similar set up but it's on the wrong side of the city!Looking for somewhere on the Northside

There's nowhere on the northside like IP that I know of.

Ballymun DCC gym is where I've been going on weekends. It's fairly well equipped with free weights. It's got 3 racks, lots of bars, plates and dumbells, trap bars and 2 cable machines.

Not IP by a long shot but for the moment it does me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Im back in westwood clontarf again, it would appear us males can get changed/shower in crap conditions, we were recently housed in the ladies changing area which was being done up, they done a fine job on it, new lockers, newly tiled etc etc, the men just got new lockers a while back, still the same stinking toilets, we must not be worthy!!
    The gym staff in Westwood are rubbish, they'd have to pay me to take a personal training session. The old gym staff a few years back well some were pretty good and others rubbish, they are just all rubbish now!!
    The gym itself is pretty good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 naigewron

When we're on gyms..

Anything good things to say about gyms in Cork?
    For example Mardyke Arena and The Locker Room? Looking especially for free weights.

- Norwegian-starting-up-powerlifter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

FitnessWorx in Douglas is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 naigewron

Molly wrote: »
    FitnessWorx in Douglas is excellent.

Looked like a great gym, but it might be a long way from where I'm staying during those 14 weeks in Cork. Going to live somewhere between University College Cork and Kennedy Park, beside Monahan Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Other than ECB are there any other gyms that offer Olympic lifting style coaching in dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Olympic lifting style or actual weightlifting?

Hanley wrote: »
    Olympic lifting style or actual weightlifting?

Actual olympic weightlifting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Actual olympic weightlifting.

What's olympic weightlifting?

I'm just being awkward at this stage tbh.... Anyway, ECB or Hercs are probably the only two places worth going to.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    What's olympic weightlifting?

I'm just being awkward at this stage tbh.... Anyway, ECB or Hercs are probably the only two places worth going to.

Yeah either of these places would be ideal if they werent so far away.

When you say they are the only two places worth going to- do you mean that there are others?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Hey folks,

I was looking for a gym in and around dublin 12 and while searching on Gymlockr.ie I came across a place in parkwest called Energie Fitness.
    I plan on checking this place out tomorrow but am just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or any other Enegie gyms.
    Would you be able to recommend another gym somewhere close to Drimnagh castle? Ideal commute time would be 15~ mins.
    I'm looking for a gym with good free weights/cardio machines/swimming pool etc.
    Obviously cheaper is better but if you could give me some ideas of gyms around the area that would be great.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraconn

Hi

You may want to go the the Hilton Hotel in front of Kilmainham Gaol.
    http://www.livingwell.com/RepublicofIreland/LivingWell-Dublin-Kilmainham.htm

They have a gym with spa/Pool/weights and all equipment. I've been there for 3 years and membership is around €50 per month. Only 5min walk from the luas red line.

Great spot.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

no rack, no bars when I went up to have a look at it around 3-4 months ago. However given the lack of any decent gyms in swords you may want to go up to see if it is the best of a bad bunch for you

Is Image Gym not still open in Swords? If so, it's a great gym for lifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Is Image Gym not still open in Swords? If so, it's a great gym for lifters.

yep,still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Cheers for the reply man. I'm gonna check that place out today.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Hey folks,

I was looking for a gym in and around dublin 12 and while searching on Gymlockr.ie I came across a place in parkwest called Energie Fitness.
    I plan on checking this place out tomorrow but am just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or any other Enegie gyms.
    Would you be able to recommend another gym somewhere close to Drimnagh castle? Ideal commute time would be 15~ mins.
    I'm looking for a gym with good free weights/cardio machines/swimming pool etc.
    Obviously cheaper is better but if you could give me some ideas of gyms around the area that would be great.

Cheers

Dublin city council have built a couple of decent gyms on the N.side recently. Built one also in 2008 in ballyfermot. Should be the bees knees if it's the same as ballymun or finglas.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/SportsFacilities/LeisureCentres/Locations/Pages/BallyfermotLeisureCentre.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

the carlisle at the kcr is a fairly good gym nice pool and very clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Hi Guys!

Just moved to ballsbridge recently and looking to join a gym. The only one around seems to be energie though.

Looking on the internet though, theyve got some really bad press (not so much the ballsbridge one though!), so im wondering whats it like??

ie. equipment, price, people?

Thanks alot!
    Neil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rally.

hi all.
    anyone know what the joining fee is for students u-18?

Advertisement